Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. (/thread-29592.html)

Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - MrBehemoth - 02-08-2015

Hi folks,

I'm having some trouble with The Second Dimension. There is some kind of bug that only became apparent when I had enough consecutive levels finished to play through a few in a row. (I haven't been making the levels in order, so I didn't find it out until recently.) Basically, it crashes (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) on loading a new map, but not always the same map or in the same circumstances. If I start playing at the start of the game, it gets to loading the 5th map before it crashes, or if I start from the 4th map it gets to the load 8th. If I disable the scoreboard, that means there are fewer maps to load, but it actually crashes sooner. I've tried a different computer and it's the same. I can't figure it out and it's driving me insane!

I might ask for more direct help with the crash at some point, but for now I'm just trying to clear up the log and see if that narrows it down. There are a few errors and warnings left that I don't understand or I'm not sure if they could be causing a crash (although none of them occur directly before the crash). I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on any of the following:

ERROR: Could not open binary file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/SecondDimension/maps/01_start.map_cache'
ERROR: Could not map cache file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/SecondDimension/maps/01_start.map'.

Does anyone know what causes these caching errors, and could they be related to a random crash that happens later on?

ERROR: Sampler aGoboMap does not exist, could not bind it to unit 5
I do have a custom gobo, so this could be related to it. Does anyone know what the error means, and how severe it is?

ERROR: Couldn't texture ''
ERROR: Could not load texture ''!

Both these errors occur multiple times and I think I know what custom entities (including custom meshes) they relate to. The entities are the lettering in the scoreboard map that appears between each level. I can set a global variable that skips this map from even being loaded, but the crash will still occur. I'm still wondering if this error could be related to the crash though because, weirdly, these errors don't occur when the scoreboard map is loaded in isolation, only when you go into it from another map, as if something happens in the previous map that is causing the entities not to load properly.

There are a couple more that I'm less concerned about:
Spoiler below!
WARNING: Sub mesh 'painting_image02' does not exist in mesh 'painting_portrait.msh'!
This is the portrait of Alexander and it doesn't cause any problems in TDD, so I think I can rule it out.

WARNING: More than 4 bones on a vertex in submesh 'gent' in mesh 'gent_actor.msh' !
The AMFP gent. I haven't messed with the mesh, so again I think I can rule it out.

I'm beginning to worry that I'm just pushing the engine too far some how (the scripting involved in the whole 2d platformer gig is immense), but I really, really, really, really don't want to abandon this project! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - Mudbill - 02-08-2015

I don't think that gobo error really relates to your gobo. I get that exact same error from just starting and closing the game, and I don't use any gobos at the moment. Not sure what it means, but it probably doesn't cause any issues with your mod, else it'd happen to everyone.

As for the caching, it seems to happen to me too sometimes, and other times not. I'm unsure why, really. Just now I got "Created cache file for blah" so it worked for me, however I very often see the failed one. I doubt that would be an issue though, as all the cache files do is help the game load faster, and I don't think they're even in effect if you use the development environment. Perhaps that's why the errors appear? Maybe the env environment just prevents this feature from completing? I don't think I had it enabled just now when I did not get that error.

Edit: It seems I actually did have it enabled. Oh well.

Edit 2: So if any of those errors are affecting your mod, I would guess it has to be the texture one. I don't see why any of the others would.

RE: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - MrBehemoth - 02-09-2015

Thanks Mudbill.

The texture error is a weird one. It only appears when loading into the scoreboard map from a different map, not when the scoreboard is the first map loaded. It's definitely not causing the crash itself because the crash can still happen even when the scoreboard is disabled and that map doesn't even load.

But... it might be a symptom of something in the other maps. I don't see why that should happen unless my script is somehow not entirely compatible with low-level engine stuff. There doesn't seem to be any memory leakage or anything like that.

I guess I need to do some serious experimenting: disabling various scripted systems one at a time and re-testing. Grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumble

RE: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - Mudbill - 02-09-2015

Welp.
Good luck with that. Sounds like a challenging adventure.

RE: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - dailycreepypasta - 02-22-2015

I just got that error today! Idk what it is but I can't edit my map anymore.

RE: Errors, warnings, hair pulling, etc. - Mudbill - 02-23-2015

Not every EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION is the same. I'm very certain your error is nowhere near this one. We've already kinda found out what is causing it, being the timer indexing exceeding its limit.