Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Depth Was A Hoax - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: SOMA (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-55.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-56.html)
+--- Thread: Depth Was A Hoax (/thread-30618.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Noisecode - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 10:44 PM)Aifa Wrote: I'm pretty sure this Depth is just an old/placeholder name for Soma, if you look in the _supersecret.rar you see the following files:
Spoiler below!

In the bugs folder:
Depth 2013-03-22 16-21-09-11-1.mp4
DepthDebug 2012-11-02 16-16-12-01_agk.avi

In the "stupid shit" folder:
DepthDebug 2012-06-13 10-18-22-27.avi

They are very early videos of what we now know as SOMA

Um............................No.

Because:

Depth behind the scenes photos.

Yes...... Depth was a working title for Soma. It's also a film.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Paddy™ - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 10:44 PM)Aifa Wrote: I'm pretty sure this Depth is just an old/placeholder name for Soma, if you look in the _supersecret.rar you see the following files:
Spoiler below!

In the bugs folder:

This has been known for almost 2 years. Actually, make that 4 years.

Fellas, I don't mean to sound elitist, but trust me when I say you new guys aren't going to enlighten anyone here with your 10-minute-old theories; we've been discussing this film every day since 2013.

Scroll up a little, do you see that guy with the username "skinnytie"? He's the director of the damn film (which you'd all know if you bothered to read the proper Depth thread). Enough of this hoax shit already.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Noisecode - 09-25-2015

Quote: I don't mean to sound elitist

You don't dude..... it's common sense shit and good etiquette to know what you're talking about before wandering into a discussion...yet people keep trying to have the same knee jerk, jump to conclusion reactions. So Yeah ... i understand your frustration Paddy.

Between this and the Depth article on the Soma Wiki I've been trying to put out this fire about Depth being just a hoax.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - ShadowDraft - 09-25-2015

Spoiler below!

In the bugs folder:

Well that still doesn't explain why a movie director would come in here and post riddles Smile

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - caffeine4671 - 09-26-2015

I'm wondering how people got it in there heads and thought 'Depth' (the name of the script) was to be released concurrently at all. Parts of it were filmed last year along with some new stuff this year but there wasn't any evidence at all to support it being a companion film.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Ashtoreth - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 01:37 AM)caffeine4671 Wrote: I'm wondering how people got it in there heads and thought 'Depth' (the name of the script) was to be released concurrently at all. Parts of it were filmed last year along with some new stuff this year but there wasn't any evidence at all to support it being a companion film.

People only started assuming that the film was going to be released at the same time as SOMA when the release date on Depth's IMDb page was changed to the 22nd of September 2015. Before that the release date was stated as 2015 (at some point it said June 2015 as a placeholder, then it was changed to 22/09/2015).

Don Thacker, the director, also stated in a September 2014 interview that the film is to be released in 2015:

Renegade Cinema Wrote:Bethany: IMDB says you have a second feature film coming out soon.

Don: Yes, it’s tentatively called Depth right now, to be released in 2015. It’s a collusion between my company Imagos Films and the Swedish game company Frictional Games. Motivational Growth put me in a position where I was able to sell my services as a commercial maker and I made a number of commercials for Frictional Games. We really liked working together so together we created an idea for this movie. We have finished principle photography and are moving into post within the next month or so, and it should come out in 2015.

Bethany: Can you give a plot synopsis for it, because there’s not one on IMDB.

Don: That is correct, I can’t. You will see. Parts of the film are going to be used in a story campaign coming up where you’ll get a little bit more than previews. But not yet!

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Noisecode - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 02:21 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 01:37 AM)caffeine4671 Wrote: I'm wondering how people got it in there heads and thought 'Depth' (the name of the script) was to be released concurrently at all. Parts of it were filmed last year along with some new stuff this year but there wasn't any evidence at all to support it being a companion film.

People only started assuming that the film was going to be released at the same time as SOMA when the release date on Depth's IMDb page was changed to the 22nd of September 2015. Before that the release date was stated as 2015 (at some point it said June 2015 as a placeholder, then it was changed to 22/09/2015).

Don Thacker, the director, also stated in a September 2014 interview that the film is to be released in 2015:

Renegade Cinema Wrote:Bethany: IMDB says you have a second feature film coming out soon.

Don: Yes, it’s tentatively called Depth right now, to be released in 2015. It’s a collusion between my company Imagos Films and the Swedish game company Frictional Games. Motivational Growth put me in a position where I was able to sell my services as a commercial maker and I made a number of commercials for Frictional Games. We really liked working together so together we created an idea for this movie. We have finished principle photography and are moving into post within the next month or so, and it should come out in 2015.

Bethany: Can you give a plot synopsis for it, because there’s not one on IMDB.

Don: That is correct, I can’t. You will see. Parts of the film are going to be used in a story campaign coming up where you’ll get a little bit more than previews. But not yet!

Game, set, and match.

So hopefully this finally extinguishes all the hoax malarkey once and for all.

Also, Don's comments about the story campaign seem to indicate my suspicions that Depth would contain spoilers for the game....hence the delay in release.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Ashtoreth - 09-26-2015

What's amusing about all of this is that the hoax claimers use this post from Thomas as their one and only source, but totally ignored his previous reply regarding Depth in the exact same thread, where his answers indicated that:

- The film is not going to be released along with the game on the 22nd;
- There might be a theatrical showing of the film;
- No plans from Frictional's end for a DVD release of the film.

I mean, how exactly does this translate to "the film doesn't exist"? It's absolutely bizarre! XD

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - PathOS - 09-26-2015

Yeah, the only "hoax" was whomever or however it managed to be deduced that Depth was going to be released simultaneously as the game.

It certainly seems like there is a film coming no matter what.

RE: Depth Was A Hoax - Noisecode - 09-26-2015

(09-26-2015, 03:22 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: What's amusing about all of this is that the hoax claimers use this post from Thomas as their one and only source, but totally ignored his previous reply regarding Depth in the exact same thread, where his answers indicated that:

- The film is not going to be released along with the game on the 22nd;
- There might be a theatrical showing of the film;
- No plans from Frictional's end for a DVD release of the film.

I mean, how exactly does this translate to "the film doesn't exist"? It's absolutely bizarre! XD

Indeed it is bizzare my friend, indeed it is.

So......back to this code Skinnytie left.....has anyone by any chance translated it differently than the result which was previously arrived at (something about paradise as I recall?)