Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Engine Capabilities - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Engine Capabilities (/thread-3549.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Engine Capabilities - fenixkane - 08-24-2010

A couple of questions:
What kind of control over AI are modders able to have?
Also would there be any way of having a dialog window system (a tad far fetched I think)?

RE: Engine Capabilities - Thomas - 08-24-2010

AI: There are some basic types of enemies and then one can edit various properties for these.

Dialog window system: Afraid not.

RE: Engine Capabilities - fenixkane - 08-25-2010

Thank you for the speedy reply.
I wonder if there would be any way to implement a dialog system through a third party tool...
Does anyone know if such a thing exists (or if anything existing can be Gerry-rigged into doing it)?

RE: Engine Capabilities - superluser - 08-26-2010

(08-24-2010, 12:52 PM)Thomas Wrote: Dialog window system: Afraid not.

What about using the computer interface as a makeshift dialog interface? It wouldn't be ideal, but it would work.

RE: Engine Capabilities - spukrian - 08-27-2010

Yes, the Computer Interface from Black Plague should be able to be modified into to a a dialog system. At least in theory.

RE: Engine Capabilities - Sexbad - 09-08-2010

Is there any possibility for motion blur or depth of field left over in the engine like in Penumbra?

RE: Engine Capabilities - Naserve - 09-08-2010

Kinda off topic but can we expect to see the developers tools out in a weeK? A month? Do we have a time frame? I want to get into making some maps and playing around with it.

RE: Engine Capabilities - Radu IceMan - 09-10-2010

How do your triggers work? Is it a brush based entity? I noticed the AI path finding system in one of the videos, which is quite similar to the one used by the Source engine.

Also, can you go a bit in detail about the scripting system? Will we have a input/output system with multiple options to choose? I like to compare engines to the Source engine, since I'm only experienced with that. If there are more similarities to it I might actually enjoy it.

RE: Engine Capabilities - monkeyshots - 09-10-2010

Hi !

The Question that i have in my head since i read about the level and other editors being released is:

will people only be able to make 'single'-maps or is it possible to actually make a series of maps and chain them together like in the main game ? so that people could make real and long stories/expansions and release them to other people ?

THanks.

RE: Engine Capabilities - MulleDK19 - 09-11-2010

(09-10-2010, 09:41 PM)Radu IceMan Wrote: How do your triggers work? Is it a brush based entity? I noticed the AI path finding system in one of the videos, which is quite similar to the one used by the Source engine.

Also, can you go a bit in detail about the scripting system? Will we have a input/output system with multiple options to choose? I like to compare engines to the Source engine, since I'm only experienced with that. If there are more similarities to it I might actually enjoy it.

There's not really "triggers". Well... There is, but they're not called triggers.

To make a "trigger", you create an area in 3D space (x,y,z), and call it something. Then in your script, you can use the function:

Code:
AddEntityCollideCallback(string &in asParentName, string &in asChildName, string &in asFunction, bool abDeleteOnCollide, int alStates)

Example:
Code:
void OnStart()
{
    //Add a collision callback, so that when the player touches our area, the function called
    //FunctionToCallOnCollide will be called.
    AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "AreaNameHere", "FunctionToCallOnCollide", true, 1);
}

void FunctionToCallOnCollide(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
    //Player "triggered" the area. Do some weird shit to him.
    DoWeirdShitToPlayer();
}

void DoWeirdShitToPlayer()
{
    //Then you would do crap here, etc.
}

(09-10-2010, 10:05 PM)monkeyshots Wrote: Hi !

The Question that i have in my head since i read about the level and other editors being released is:

will people only be able to make 'single'-maps or is it possible to actually make a series of maps and chain them together like in the main game ? so that people could make real and long stories/expansions and release them to other people ?

THanks.

You'll be able to make exactly what you see in the real game.