Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
No surround 5.1 sound in demo - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: No surround 5.1 sound in demo (/thread-3853.html)

No surround 5.1 sound in demo - Mamoulian - 09-07-2010

I am unable to run Amnesia in 5.1 surround sound. I've got a Sound MAX Integrated Digital HD Audio, a PCI slot card that came with my Rampage Formula Board. All other games automatically utilize it as a 5.1 sound a simply by using my Win 7 High Definition Audio Controller speaker setup. Amnesia sound setup shows something called "Generic Software on Speaker System High Definition Audio", it just might be my standard HD Audio Controller as mentioned above but it obviously utilizes it in a wrong, stereo speaker way. Because of this problem I actually installed newest Soundmax Audio Drivers and newest open AL drivers today but with no luck. I already played countless games and movies using this sound setup so far and never had any problem with my surround sound before. This is something that needs to be addressed before the game is released IMHO for many people are using onboard sound cards with Win HD Audio standard drivers..

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - jens - 09-07-2010

Copy & Paste from the Steam forum

We have removed the hardware options from the game as the sound can be quite unpredictable and cause bugs, everything from crashes to sounds simply not playing. However you can enable hardware sounds be editing the main_settings.cfg file found in My Documents/Amnesia/

First you open the hpl.log file that you also find in My Documents/Amnesia/
look for the section "Initializing Sound Module" and there is a list of OpenAL devices. See what number the hardware device has in the list then take that number, and in the main_settings.cfg file on the row starting <Sound change the number for Device="" accordingly.

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - newiral - 09-07-2010

(09-07-2010, 10:32 AM)jens Wrote: Copy & Paste from the Steam forum

We have removed the hardware options from the game as the sound can be quite unpredictable and cause bugs, everything from crashes to sounds simply not playing. However you can enable hardware sounds be editing the main_settings.cfg file found in My Documents/Amnesia/

First you open the hpl.log file that you also find in My Documents/Amnesia/
look for the section "Initializing Sound Module" and there is a list of OpenAL devices. See what number the hardware device has in the list then take that number, and in the main_settings.cfg file on the row starting <Sound change the number for Device="" accordingly.

Worked perfectly! Thanks a lot Smile

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - Mamoulian - 09-07-2010

Yeah, that did work. Amnesia setup then showed a new device called "Unsupported Speakers SoundMAX. I think it might have been useful to list this device from the start - I would just try to use it in the first place. This way you'll have a lot of explaining to do to lotsa gamers Smile Nevetherless, the 3D sound is really gr8 now, thank you!

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - newiral - 09-08-2010

As you said Jens, surround could cause big bugs.

After 1 hour of gameplay in 5.1 (in the final game, not the demo), I got a crash caused by the audio driver and must reboot my computer.

Well, well, no SLI support, bad 5.1 support...

It's a good thing to think about people with weak computers, but power users also want to enjoy your games in the best conditions Sad

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - mamboboy - 09-08-2010

5.1 is also broke for me on my Xonar D2 via Digital Out.

The sound is great, but unfortunately it's only in 2.1 Sad

Crackles a lot and kills fps in hardware mode...

I don't know why games still use OpenAL, it doesn't even work for people with Creatvie cards for goodness sake.

RE: No surround 5.1 sound in demo - twEEker - 09-09-2010

Windows 7 64 and Auzentech X-Fi Forte soundcard

I tried hardware mode and it launches/plays, but when you enter into a new zone via a door, it tends to crash random (Audio related BSOD).

Also when you read a message, the voice will vary from slow to fast to normal. Hopefully it gets fixed because hardware 5.1 sounds great! I can deal with it for now, it still sounds good in software.