Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Demo instantly crashes - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+---- Forum: Mac - ATDD (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-33.html)
+---- Thread: Demo instantly crashes (/thread-3885.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Demo instantly crashes - Helpplz - 09-07-2010

The demo starts up and then the screen goes black and then goes back to desktop. Help?
I also get a little message when i relaunch saying

Could not load main init file: config/main_init.cfg

RE: Demo instantly crashes - Mikezila - 09-08-2010

What kind of system are you running it on? Can you go to the Apple menu, hit "About this Mac" and tell us what it says in the little Window that pops up?

RE: Demo instantly crashes - Helpplz - 09-08-2010

Model Name: eMac
Model Identifier: PowerMac6,4
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.2f1
Serial Number (system): G8437JW1QQJ
Sales Order Number: M9461LL/A
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000D93338478
let me guess i cant run it

You may be able to just scrape by, but it's going to be at bare minimum detail settings and a very low resolution. You computer doesn't have enough memory, and your video card is underpowered. Your computer is also PowerPC based, which doesn't help matters.

If you can run it I'd say your experience isn't going to be good.

(09-08-2010, 12:20 AM)Mikezila Wrote: You may be able to just scrape by, but it's going to be at bare minimum detail settings and a very low resolution. You computer doesn't have enough memory, and your video card is underpowered. Your computer is also PowerPC based, which doesn't help matters.

If you can run it I'd say your experience isn't going to be good.

but that still doesnt solve my problem

Your computer only has half of the memory required. It could be crashing just because it doesn't have enough space to work. It's possible that your problem is unsolvable.

But we can try.

Go to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder, then launch the app called "Console". Once Console is loaded, hit the broom icon at the top of it. You should have an empty window. Hopefully helpful error messages will popup here when you launch the game.

With Console still open, try to run the game again. Once it crashes, or errors, see if anything interesting is shown in the Console window.

What version of MacOS are you using?

Update:
I just went and tried the demo on a friend's eMac, and from the errors in the console it looks like the game is crashing because the video card does not support the shaders needed for the game to work. Sorry to say it, but you're not going to be able to run the game it doesn't look like.

RE: Demo instantly crashes - jens - 09-08-2010

Can you check what video card you have in that eMac?

I have tested the game on an eMac 1.42Ghz with a Radeon 9600 and it works there, as long as you accept lower resolution and graphic settings with an OK frame rate (considering the computer you run it on).

You must have the latest Mac OS X 10.5.x release.

(09-08-2010, 06:04 AM)jens Wrote: Can you check what video card you have in that eMac?

I have tested the game on an eMac 1.42Ghz with a Radeon 9600 and it works there, as long as you accept lower resolution and graphic settings with an OK frame rate (considering the computer you run it on).

ATI Radeon 9200:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV280
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5962
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-102
Displays:
eMac:
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 80 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

When i try to play the penumbra black plague it is all black and white and everything is kinda like cut out and weird looking. Is there a reason that the penumbra series is exceptionally harder to run than other games?
(09-08-2010, 11:06 PM)Helpplz Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 06:04 AM)jens Wrote: Can you check what video card you have in that eMac?

ATI Radeon 9200:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV280
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5962
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-102
Displays:
eMac:
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 80 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

When i try to play the penumbra black plague it is all black and white and everything is kinda like cut out and weird looking. Is there a reason that the penumbra series is exceptionally harder to run than other games?

Also when the demo starts up nothing pops up in the console, which is weird.

RE: Demo instantly crashes - jens - 09-09-2010

Ah, no a 9200 is below minimum. 9600 really is the very low point of what is supported!

RE: Demo instantly crashes - rekster - 09-10-2010

Your system is pretty old, don't expect miracles. Smile