Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? (/thread-4766.html)

Pages: 1 2

Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - cogar66 - 09-26-2010

In Amnesia they made it so if you die a few times from the same enemy the enemy would be moved or it would disappear. This completely took me out of the game, because I knew that enemies weren't a real threat so I started exploiting this to get to the end of levels(letting the monsters kill me). Anyone know how to turn this off?

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - DamnNoHtml - 09-26-2010

You are kind of breaking the first rule of the game - don't try to win, immerse yourself.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - OO Agent - 09-26-2010

this aspect creeped me out more. if i died from a monster once, then he was moved to a different spot in the same area...WHERE WAS HE NOW?! >< because if im not done with the area and still need to explore more, he's now in an unknown spot to me.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Deu sex - 09-26-2010

(09-26-2010, 05:20 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: You are kind of breaking the first rule of the game - don't try to win, immerse yourself.

I totally disagree.
It breaks immersion for me.

but maybe it's a question of point of view ?

for my part, I think monsters disapearings is the baddest point of this game.
sometimes its great.
but sometimes, its really kill the immersion... and makes the game absolutely not frightening at all.

exept in the choir part !!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Finjy - 09-29-2010

I died once on a blind playthrough, the entire game, to
Spoiler below!
the waterlurker.
I think the game was excellently designed to pretty much always allow you the ability to react effectively while not removing the sense of immediate danger; I have a terrible time controlling myself when I'm terrified, I get the shakes and everything, and I was only seen by an enemy you aren't scripted to be seen by twice. What are you doing to get killed so much, running everywhere with the lantern on 100% of the time? Use a little caution.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Informative - 09-29-2010

When the Brute chases you, he killed me and when I went to throw the rock, he was not there. It totally killed the chase for me.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Zanderat - 09-29-2010

This was probably the only weakness to the game. I think upon reload the monster should have been there, perhaps in a different location AND there should have been a penalty, such as reduced health or sanity.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - mtomato - 09-29-2010

I agree; the player should be punished, not rewarded, when killed by a monster.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - ChrisSmith - 09-29-2010

I think some people have got some pretty ass-backwards ideas about immersion.

Moving monsters breaks immersion? So it would be more "realistic" for the monsters to have completely predictable patrol routes that they never deviate from?

Quote:I agree; the player should be punished, not rewarded, when killed by a monster.

What's the point of punishing the player? This is not a game that you win. Frictional want to move the player FORWARD, not hold them back. The most important thing is that the player experiences the atmosphere and advances the story. If you're looking for ways to be "punished" or "rewarded" in Amnesia, you're metagaming.

RE: Does anyone know how to make it so enemies DON'T dissappear after you die? - Tayrtahn - 09-29-2010

(09-26-2010, 03:35 PM)cogar66 Wrote: ...so I started exploiting this to get to the end of levels(letting the monsters kill me). Anyone know how to turn this off?
Don't do it?