Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Getting Diary's to work. - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Getting Diary's to work. (/thread-5247.html)

Getting Diary's to work. - Vandyke - 10-30-2010

Okay so I have try'd for day's to get my Diary entry's to work, I got my notes to work, but my diary's won't. I have look at all the basic tutorials and have found nothing to help me with my problem, I also have dug threw the Main game's Extra_English.Lang file to figure out how to do it but its not working. This is what my .lang Files looks like.

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">A test Description.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Name">Letter to Alex</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Text">16th of September 1465[br][br]Dear, Alex[br][br] It must be hard being that thing. I try'd to help you, but you betrayed me! Even after I saved you from them people down by the village, and gave you shelter for the night, and you repay me like this?[br][br] Alex, I'm sorry, but I couldn't have that monster inside of you running lose, I had to take action. I have locked you in the library quarters, and drugged you. I need time to find a cure before its to late![br][br] Sincerely, F.D. </Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ch01Dre_Frankin_Name">Franklin's Diary Entry (1/24)</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ch01Dre_Frankin_Text">5th of August 1465[br][br] Today, I have taken a man by the name of Alex into my home. He was hidding in a barn after the towns people chased him away. I am not yet sure why he has chased away, but I am very curious, and I want to find out.[br][br] He will be staying in my home until I can talk to him. He seems to be quite shook up. I will continue these logs with continued reasearch on him.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

So if you see any error's please help me, I also have the notetext = ch01Dre_Franklin. If there is anything I need to change please help me.

Sincerely, Vandyke.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - mastersmith98 - 10-30-2010

Did you recompile the scripts/language files in game after you edited them?
Otherwise everything you have is fine.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - Vandyke - 10-30-2010

(10-30-2010, 09:19 PM)mastersmith98 Wrote: Did you recompile the scripts/language files in game after you edited them?
Otherwise everything you have is fine.

How would I do that? I am using notepad?

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - mastersmith98 - 10-30-2010

When you're in game and the debug menu is up, click recompile scripts and config files and that should do it.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - Vandyke - 10-30-2010

(10-30-2010, 10:41 PM)mastersmith98 Wrote: When you're in game and the debug menu is up, click recompile scripts and config files and that should do it.

The debug menu never opens.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - Som1Lse - 10-31-2010

If you havent set up debug mode then read this tutorial.

If/when you have just press F1.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it might also be the case that it never reads your "extra_english.lang" file because you are in debug mode and not running a custom story.
It might also be that you havent dont have any voice narration (or whatever it is called), which diaries might need. This is however untested and only a theory.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - Vandyke - 10-31-2010

(10-31-2010, 12:00 AM)Someone else Wrote: If you havent set up debug mode then read this tutorial.

If/when you have just press F1.

Edit: Now that I think of it, it might also be the case that it never reads your "extra_english.lang" file because you are in debug mode and not running a custom story.
It might also be that you havent dont have any voice narration (or whatever it is called), which diaries might need. This is however untested and only a theory.
Thanks for the tut, but it does read my Extra_English.lang file because my notes work. It was just the diary entry's that were being a pain, I will try out this tutorial, and see if it helps, and thanks taking the time to help me, Much appreciated.

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - Vandyke - 10-31-2010

It didn't help, I really think I am just doing something wrong, I want to work on my story, but not until my notes are working correctly.
(10-31-2010, 09:38 PM)Vandyke Wrote: It didn't help, I really think I am just doing something wrong, I want to work on my story, but not until my notes are working correctly.

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">Play as Alex, in a mysterious castle. Find out who you are and what happened to you, and around you.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Name">Letter to Alex</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Text">16th of September 1465[br][br]Dear, Alex[br][br] It must be hard being that thing. I try'd to help you, but you betrayed me! Even after I saved you from them people down by the village, and gave you shelter for the night, and you repay me like this?[br][br] Alex, I'm sorry, but I couldn't have that monster inside of you running lose, I had to take action. I have locked you in the library quarters, and drugged you. I need time to find a cure before its to late![br][br] Sincerely, F.D. </Entry>

<Entry Name="Diary_ch01Dre_Franklin_Name1">Franklin's Diary Entry (1/24)</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ch01Dre_Franklin_Text1">5th of August 1465[br][br] Today, I have taken a man by the name of Alex into my home. He was hidding in a barn after the towns people chased him away. I am not yet sure why he has chased away, but I am very curious, and I want to find out.[br][br] He will be staying in my home until I can talk to him. He seems to be quite shook up. I will continue these logs with continued reasearch on him.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

and I have NoteText = ch01Dre_FranklinAmnesia

RE: Getting Diary's to work. - HakePT - 11-03-2010

Are you running the game or have you modded it to be a dev account? insta open map, display health, sanity and everything in numbers, etc that kind of stuff.

When i ran my dev account diary entries never showed, when i played the game normally they did.