Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? (/thread-53559.html)

Pages: 1 2

OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - laniana - 02-06-2017

Hi guys, with around 100 million users, i would love to know your takes on the sandbox video game, Minecraft. Online multiplayer games require servers and i am currently on the learning process on how to set up a Minecraft on a dedicated root server. I have the option of asking my husband to do it for me..but well, i am a bit tough headed and would rather try it out on my own first! Big Grin

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - Mudbill - 02-06-2017

I used to play Minecraft in around 2011-2012ish. I had a dedicated server hosted, which turned out fairly successful with about 10-20 concurrent users most of the time. It was great fun managing and interacting with the community we created.

But I guess that's somewhat outside of Minecraft as a game and more on the administrative and technical side of things.

If you ask what I think of it as a game, I think it's very clever and well executed. A lot of work has been put into it and it shows. It's definitely a great game.

Though aside from that, I haven't touched Minecraft much the past few years. Only thing I do with it these days is host a server for my friends and play on it for like a week or so. But that only happens about once a year if not rarer.

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - FlawlessHappiness - 02-06-2017

It was a fun idea, but I'm kinda over it. Too many limitations, and I don't really want to delve into the ocean of mods.
Then I'd rather play a more immersive game, such as Skyrim or Amnesia.

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - laniana - 02-07-2017

(02-06-2017, 01:32 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: It was a fun idea, but I'm kinda over it. Too many limitations, and I don't really want to delve into the ocean of mods.
Then I'd rather play a more immersive game, such as Skyrim or Amnesia.

Well considering i never really jumped on the bandwagon i really want to try it out. Especially now that you say that it was a fun idea! :-)

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - i3670 - 02-07-2017

It's a great time killer and more forgiving than fucking Subnautica.

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - FlawlessHappiness - 02-07-2017

(02-07-2017, 11:04 AM)i3670 Wrote: It's a great time killer and more forgiving than fucking Subnautica.

Hahaha, funny that you mention Subnautica, I actually found that more interesting to play, since it was more immersive and a concept I had not tried before, being underwater and all that...

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - Romulator - 02-07-2017

I and a few friends played Minecraft using one of their Minecraft Realms servers, and when the trial ran out, downloaded the map and moved it over to one of our other accounts.

Ultimately though, after we defeated the Ender Dragon and I went searching for the flying cape items, there wasn't much more playability. There wasn't really a "goal" for us after finishing the main story.

We got about 20 days worth of progress done stretched over 90. Was fun while it lasted~

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - FlawlessHappiness - 02-07-2017

That made me think. Building with friends is always fun, and I find that is a very good part of Minecraft. I like being creative with friends, building wacky things and showing them off. I would love other games that aren't Minecraft, but with the building aspect and in multiplayer.

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - SamChurch - 02-07-2017

I love Minecraft and have logged probably close to 2000 hours across PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Pocket Edition. I find it's easy for me to just lose myself in the game, not even pay attention to what I'm doing, which makes it perfect for doing other things on the side. For instance, I played Minecraft while watching a whole year of Rooster Teeth Podcasts. I think the 2 things that have kept my attention on this game are not killing the boss dragon (except experimentally on Creative difficulty) and being able to have an idea and execute it. I built a pyramid just because it was an idea in my head. The possibilities are...certainly not endless but the end is very far away (maybe someone should've built the portal closer though Tongue) I mostly play on Vanilla and by myself, usually on Peaceful for the building aspects or Easy for the survival aspects but I have played with a few modpacks and the community of modders is great with this game. I remember one of my favorite mods was the ICBM mod. There was so many explosive devices that you could choose from and I love seeing how quickly I could use one type to get to the bottom of the world (and in some cases, through the bottom of the world)

RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft?? - laniana - 02-08-2017

(02-07-2017, 04:30 PM)SamChurch Wrote: I love Minecraft and have logged probably close to 2000 hours across PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Pocket Edition. I find it's easy for me to just lose myself in the game, not even pay attention to what I'm doing, which makes it perfect for doing other things on the side. For instance, I played Minecraft while watching a whole year of Rooster Teeth Podcasts. I think the 2 things that have kept my attention on this game are not killing the boss dragon (except experimentally on Creative difficulty) and being able to have an idea and execute it. I built a pyramid just because it was an idea in my head. The possibilities are...certainly not endless but the end is very far away (maybe someone should've built the portal closer though Tongue) I mostly play on Vanilla and by myself, usually on Peaceful for the building aspects or Easy for the survival aspects but I have played with a few modpacks and the community of modders is great with this game. I remember one of my favorite mods was the ICBM mod. There was so many explosive devices that you could choose from and I love seeing how quickly I could use one type to get to the bottom of the world (and in some cases, through the bottom of the world)
Sounds like you really did like it!, thank you for giving a more detailed review. I was thinking of making Pocket Edition my first choice but then Xbox360 has fantastic reviews as well. Oh well lets see! Smile

Does anyone have a clue on how i can set it up with a hosting system that provides users with the whole nine yards?