Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Something broke mouse support - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Something broke mouse support (/thread-54170.html)

Something broke mouse support - Argoon - 02-13-2018

Today tried to play Amnesia and was unable, because i couldn't move the view around, the mouse works fine in the menus but in game it just stops working, i can move around, jump, etc, just not look around.

This also effects mods.

After some googling found that starting the game using the _nosteam version of the exe the mouse works fine, but unfortunately afaik mods require the normal exe.

RE: Something broke mouse support - Romulator - 02-13-2018

(02-13-2018, 06:07 AM)Argoon Wrote: Today tried to play Amnesia and was unable, because i couldn't move the view around, the mouse works fine in the menus but in game it just stops working, i can move around, jump, etc, just not look around.

Are you on the Windows 10 Falls Creator Update? That update broke a bunch of SDL2 games, which is what Amnesia relies on for Mouse input.

(02-13-2018, 06:07 AM)Argoon Wrote: After some googling found that starting the game using the _nosteam version of the exe the mouse works fine, but unfortunately afaik mods require the normal exe.

First I have ever heard of this. Mods in Amnesia are completely reliant on a resources.cfg file, and full conversion mods can be made to run on the NoSteam branch by simply editing the batch files it comes with with a text editor.

I'm also moving this thread over to Technical Support Smile

RE: Something broke mouse support - Argoon - 02-13-2018

Thanks for the reply, I don't really know if i'm on the windows 10 Creator Update i just know i'm on windows 10. I'm not doubting you but if SDL2 is the problem why does the _nosteam version works?

I'm not a Amnesia moder, i just know that some mods gave a error asking for the normal exe if it didn't existed, but i don't really know what you need to do to make them work, can you say what mod file i need to change to point to the nosteam exe at lest as a temporary fix?

RE: Something broke mouse support - Romulator - 02-14-2018

(02-13-2018, 03:10 PM)Argoon Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I don't really know if i'm on the windows 10 Creator Update i just know i'm on windows 10. I'm not doubting you but if SDL2 is the problem why does the _nosteam version works?

Oh! I'm not sure honestly, I haven't tested it. I am just taking your word for it that it works. Smile I'll have to certainly test it out.

You can check if you are on the Windows 10 FCU by following the instructions in the below spoiler.

Spoiler below!
[Image: bbe2d4fa15.png]

(02-13-2018, 03:10 PM)Argoon Wrote: I'm not a Amnesia moder, i just know that some mods gave a error asking for the normal exe if it didn't existed, but i don't really know what you need to do to make them work, can you say what mod file i need to change to point to the nosteam exe at lest as a temporary fix?

For a general, standard custom story accessed from Amnesia's menu, nothing will need to be changed so long as the resources.cfg file has this line in it appended to the bottom.

PHP Code:
<Directory Path="/custom_stories" AddSubDirs="true" /> 

For a Full Conversion mod, depending on what OS you are playing Amnesia on, the file to edit will be either a .bat, .command or .sh file. With those files, you would open the files with a text editor and change any instance of Amnesia.exe or Launcher.exe to point to the Amnesia_NoSteam.exe.

Furthermore, if the custom story does not run, the main_init.cfg file needs to be edited to include directories to SDL2, which can be fixed by comparing Amnesia's main_init.cfg file to the CS' one.

RE: Something broke mouse support - Argoon - 02-18-2018

Thanks for the info it seems i'm on a old windows 10 version (1607), so it most not be windows 10 Creator Update. I'm trying to play Penumbra - Necrologue and i don't find any .cmd .bat or .sh file in the mod folder or in the Amnesia root folder, i'm playing from steam btw. Whats even strange is that, if I delete the normal amnesia.exe and rename the amnesia_nosteam.exe to the other, the no steam version behaves exactly like the original exe, no mouse support, so this makes me think something is breaking based on the exe name, not on what it really calls or contains.

RE: Something broke mouse support - Mudbill - 02-20-2018

Well, the name really shouldn't have anything to do with it, but what might affect it is that Steam itself will detect the file name, so if you replace the executable that Steam wants to use, it will use the new version without really thinking about it. This might suggest that Steam is causing some issue?

RE: Something broke mouse support - Argoon - 02-28-2018

(02-20-2018, 02:42 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Well, the name really shouldn't have anything to do with it, but what might affect it is that Steam itself will detect the file name, so if you replace the executable that Steam wants to use, it will use the new version without really thinking about it. This might suggest that Steam is causing some issue?

Sorry for taking so time to reply been busy, it does look like steam is causing trouble, but the only way to know for sure was if i could start Penumbra Necrologue outside steam, for example making it use the no steam exe, but unfortunately no matter how many files i read on the mod folder i don't see where it calls the original game exe... Sad

RE: Something broke mouse support - Romulator - 02-28-2018

It's the batch (.bat) file. You need to edit it with something like Notepad, and have it point to the Amnesia you would like to run. It'd be as simple as changing a single line. Smile

RE: Something broke mouse support - Argoon - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 03:56 AM)Romulator Wrote: It's the batch (.bat) file. You need to edit it with something like Notepad, and have it point to the Amnesia you would like to run. It'd be as simple as changing a single line. Smile

Thanks Romulator but there's no bat file in the necrologue folder, it runs from steam, just like a normal steam game. Having said this, after making my post above, something stroke my mind and i went see how Amadeus mod did it and it did had a bat file, then i just made one for Necrologue and it worked. Smile

bat file code:

cd /d ..
Amnesia_NoSteam.exe Necrologue/config/main_init.cfg

But this does not solve the problem that steam is breaking Amnesia and their mods and Frictional should do something about it, and btw i'm not the only one having this, on the Necrologue steam forum, there's another person with the same problem, and his PC is totally different from mine, mine is a desktop, his is a laptop, the only thing equal is that both of us are using windows 10.

RE: Something broke mouse support - Romulator - 02-28-2018

The issue is actually on Windows 10 only, it's a compatibility issue between SDL2 and the Windows 10 Falls Creator Update. I can assure you that Frictional Games are aware of this issue, and to get it fixed is a priority task, but is somewhat delayed because some of the Frictional Support team are on holiday. Smile

I'm glad you managed to find the fix on your own though, props to making your own batch file!