Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Cannot save - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - SOMA (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-74.html)
+--- Thread: Cannot save (/thread-54411.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cannot save - Vitorvdp - 04-09-2018

I simply cannot save on my computer. Tried running the app as administrator, tried running the Nosteam version of the .exe, with no results. I don't even have to exit the game for my saves to disappear, anytime I go back to the main menu the only option is New Game.

How can I fix this?

RE: Cannot save - TiManGames - 04-09-2018

Maybe your antivirus is preventing the game from saving in your disc?

RE: Cannot save - Abion47 - 04-09-2018

I assume you are running the game on a Windows machine?

RE: Cannot save - Mudbill - 04-09-2018

^ The mention of ".exe" would imply so, yes.

You don't happen to have your Documents folder redirected away from the default location C:\Users\%username%\Documents ?

If you can supply the HPL.log file from Documents\My Games\Soma\Main then we can check for errors.

RE: Cannot save - Vitorvdp - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 12:58 PM)Abion47 Wrote: I assume you are running the game on a Windows machine?

Correct, Windows 10.

(04-09-2018, 01:06 PM)Mudbill Wrote: ^ The mention of ".exe" would imply so, yes.

You don't happen to have your Documents folder redirected away from the default location C:\Users\%username%\Documents ?

If you can supply the HPL.log file from Documents\My Games\Soma\Main then we can check for errors.

I found two folders inside the Main folder, one named Default and another with my username plus a string of numbers and letters. Both were empty though.
Trying to search my entire PC for HPL.log also yielded no results.

What could this mean?

But you're able to close the game normally without crashing?
Hmm, when I think about it, it would make sense that the log would fail to write if the saves fail to write, if the problem is that it can't find your Documents folder.

Though still strange that it was able to generate the folders at the very least.

Can you post the path as as it appeared in your folder? Maybe there's an illegal character it doesn't like or something.

RE: Cannot save - Vitorvdp - 04-09-2018

Here's the file path as an attachment. And yeah, I'm able to close the game without it crashing, just tried it now.

Hmm... Perhaps you can try easing the permissions on that folder then.

Right click the Main folder, go to Properties, then Security tab. Click Edit, then Add, then search for "Everyone" and hit enter. It should now show "Everyone" in the list of permissions. Mark it and select "Full control" below. Hit the OKs.

Perhaps now it will make a difference...

RE: Cannot save - Vitorvdp - 04-10-2018

Unfortunately, that still didn't do anything.

This is so frustrating, I really want to play this game.

RE: Cannot save - Mudbill - 04-10-2018

Then I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe there is a way to redirect the logging output or something.