Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" (/thread-6341.html)

Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - GraphicsKid - 01-23-2011

Hi, I have a custom entity in my map (just the prison door, but a mover so the player has to use a lever to control it). It works perfectly in game, but every time I start up the editor, I get this message: "Found some errors while loading file. Check log for details. File index out of bounds!". Lo and behold, the door is missing.

I don't know what log file it's talking about anyways...

EDIT: Stupid me, forgot to mention the most important part: These custom entities reside in a subfolder "entities" in the custom story folder of my custom story. (so \custom_stories\my_mod\entities)

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - GraphicsKid - 01-24-2011

Anybody know how to fix this?

Is there some sort of relative path functionality? ie. "/" for up one level?

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - Tanshaydar - 01-24-2011

Tried to place them in entities folder?
I know this way you have to make user to place it his/her own older, but worths for shot.

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - GraphicsKid - 01-24-2011

But I've seen other custom stories (like wake) use an entities folder in their own custom story directory.

Do you just have to place all these entities just before you distribute the map? It works fine in the game. The custom entities are just removed every time you load the map up in the editor.

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - Tanshaydar - 01-24-2011

I'm using some custom things, and my editor does that rarely. However, I've never encountered a "out of bound" exception. So I can't tell I had same issue with you.
If you are using W7, try to run it with administrative rights. Maybe it helps. Other than that, I'm a noob to editors.

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - Mofo - 02-03-2011

Placing your custom entities (and static objects) in the custom stories folder is only good for playing the map, not editing it.

If you want to edit your level, you'll need to place the entities inside the main Amnesia folder (Amnesia the dark descent/entities/*your stuff here*/

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - MrBehemoth - 02-26-2014

Sorry for bumping an old post, but this problem has been bothering me all day, and I finally worked out a solution, so I thought I'd share it.

Mofo's solution works - but it's a pain moving files around. If you want to keep your custom story (or TC in my case) nice and isolated and easy to install and distribute, then using a subfolder is the best way.

The problem is that the level editor (and the other tools too, maybe) use the resources.cfg of the default game: one located in the main folder (I use Steam, so off Steam I guess it's the redist folder).

The fix is to add the folders belonging to your mod (story/TC) to the default resources.cfg. Easy.

RE: Custom entities in custom story, "file index out of bounds" - Traggey - 02-26-2014

WOW THAT'S ONE HELL OF A BUMP!

Closed.