Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) -SOLVED- - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Hints, help and spoilers (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) -SOLVED- (/thread-6958.html)

Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) -SOLVED- - PuerNoctis - 03-19-2011

Hello there,

(I am using the Steam version, fyi)

I am playing Amnesia at the moment (obviously), and I am quite stuck right now. But after reading through some walkthroughs I think I ran into some kind of bug...

To explain my current situation:

Currently I am standing in the morgue, I have assembled the syringe, and are trying to break the skull of the body. But to get into there, I thought I need the hand drill to make some kind of hole to extract the blood from - this was confirmed by the walkthroughs I read.

But I've never assembled the hand drill?! I only got two of the three parts at this point, and there is no possibility for me to get back into the storage area.

I still got the memento saying, that there was a cave-in and that I have to find another way into the storage area (explosives?), but I've never did this and came where I am now without it...

Here are two screenshots, for a better understanding:

http://img848.imageshack.us/f/01drillparts.jpg/

http://img864.imageshack.us/i/02mementos.jpg/

(If the images are deleted, please tell me, I will re-upload them).

The first image shows my inventory with the TWO, unassembled drill parts and the syringe, and the second shows my memento log.

Can someone confirm that this is a bug, or is there just an optional way to break the skull?!

Any answers are very appreciated.

Cheers
PuerNoctis

RE: Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) - PuerNoctis - 03-19-2011

Okay, another post in the forum stated that the savegames are in XML-Format, so I looked into my latest save and added the missing drill part.

This was already present:
Code:
<class type="cLuxInventory_Item_SaveData" name="">
    <var type="4" name="msName" val="hand_drill_part02" />
    <var type="2" name="mlType" val="0" />
    <var type="4" name="msSubType" val="drill_part" />
    <var type="4" name="msVal" val="" />
    <var type="4" name="msExtraVal" val="" />
    <var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/hand_drill_part02.tga" />
    <var type="3" name="mfAmount" val="1.000000" />
    <var type="2" name="mlCount" val="1" />
    <var type="4" name="msGameNameEntry" val="ItemName_drill_part" />
    <var type="4" name="msGameDescEntry" val="ItemDesc_drill_part" />
</class>

<var type="4" name="msName" val="hand_drill_part03" />
    <var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/hand_drill_part03.tga" />
</class>

I added this:
Code:
    <var type="4" name="msName" val="hand_drill_part01" />
    <var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/hand_drill_part01.tga" />
</class>

I have the item in my inventory now, but it still says that I don't have all parts as soon as I try to assemble it.

Can anyone point me to another variable/element I have to modify in my savegame to make it actually work?

I would be very grateful, really Smile

Cheers
PuerNoctis

RE: Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) - thepaleking - 03-20-2011

In the Custom Stories section I've seen people talking about how to make items combine, and it seems no one has really figured it out yet.

I'd say revert to a previous save...but I guess that's a long ways back. However did you manage to skip that entire area of the game?

RE: Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) -SOLVED- - PuerNoctis - 03-20-2011

(03-20-2011, 06:03 AM)thepaleking Wrote: In the Custom Stories section I've seen people talking about how to make items combine, and it seems no one has really figured it out yet.

I'd say revert to a previous save...but I guess that's a long ways back. However did you manage to skip that entire area of the game?

Although it might be wise to load a previous savegame (yes, it seems like I skipped the whole area between the cave-in and the machine room, did I miss much?), in the end I didn't want to restart from THAT early. So I looked around another savegame that is provided here on the forums (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4825.html).

I replaced the first XML-Code I posted, the first tow drill parts, with the final assembled drill:
Code:
    <var type="4" name="msName" val="handdrill" />
    <var type="4" name="msSubType" val="hand_drill" />
    <var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/graphics/item/hand_drill.tga" />
    <var type="3" name="mfAmount" val="0.000000" />
    <var type="4" name="msGameNameEntry" val="ItemName_hand_drill" />
    <var type="4" name="msGameDescEntry" val="ItemDesc_hand_drill" />
</class>

This actually works and I am able to continue my "broken" savegame now Smile

So if someone runs into the same issue (which I highly doubt for some reason^^), here's what you have to do Smile

Cheers
PuerNoctis

RE: Drill Parts Bug? (*spoiler*) -SOLVED- - thepaleking - 03-20-2011

Nice, that might come in handy.

You did miss a very intense monster encounter, and a flash back or two. Might wanna play through the game again (with the commentary maybe) to experience it.