Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
A Question About Making Levels - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: A Question About Making Levels (/thread-8550.html)

A Question About Making Levels - Vael - 06-12-2011

I apologize in advance if this has been solved at all, but I haven't seen the answer in the actual tutorial FG created on their Wiki.

1) How do you copy an object? Say you're making the outline of a room, and when you rotate the map to put a wall down, it isn't facing the right way. So you go to rotate it, then move it on the axis to fit with the other. Do you have to keep doing that for that object? Or can you copy the object in that position so you can just paste it to progress more quickly?

Thank you for your help!

RE: A Question About Making Levels - palistov - 06-12-2011

CTRL + D is how you copy/duplicate an object. To rotate an object as you place it in the editor, select it in the menu to the right, and before placing it, press Q and W to rotate it. To rotate an already placed one, I'm sure you know to press W and use the rings to rotate it Smile

RE: A Question About Making Levels - Acies - 06-12-2011

Another thing to improve your work speed is to group objects. Lets say that I have made a room with 20 wall pieces on the right side of the room and I want the same number on the left side of the room. By holding down shift and then selecting all of my wall pieces on the right side, one by one, and then pressing "B" I group them together. These 20 wall pieces are now regarded as one piece. Then ctrl + D - voila I have just copied half of the room.

This can also be done on a smaller scale, to increase the speed when you are created a room.

RE: A Question About Making Levels - MrBigzy - 06-12-2011

Just a word of caution; angle vales can be random when using compound items, or sometimes in general when rotating. Usually you'll see 2 rotational axes with the same value to cancel each other out, but somtimes this value is randomized to something like -152.63 or some other random number. It's okay if you're just placing something, but if you're gonna scale it won't go the way you want it to. Just something to remember if you scale a compound item or other things and they don't seem to scale in the right direction.

RE: A Question About Making Levels - Vael - 06-12-2011

Thanks guys! Have gotten really far with my progress since you all answered. One other question though: When I am walking through the tutorial FG has and it goes to Lighting, where exactly is the button to "turn off" the lighting that the editor has so you can see what you're doing, so it only shows the lights that actual objects show - like a candle?

Thanks again for the help!

RE: A Question About Making Levels - palistov - 06-12-2011

On the bottom bar, you'll see a button labelled 'A' and another labelled 'P'. P is the Global point light and A is the global ambient light. Turn them off to see what it'll look like in-game.

RE: A Question About Making Levels - Vael - 06-13-2011

Thank you. I've made a few maps now and they're looking nice. I'm not too familiar with scripting, but I'll get the hang of it eventually Smile. Now, my problem is that when I put the entire map together, edit the custom_story_settings.cfg file to load a specific map, but I save the map file from the Editor to the folder that should contain the map (the map folder), it does not show or load. So I looked through and saw that it works if you save the map file to your desktop and then move it to your folder - it worked. But my problem is that all of the old map files I can't see or use, how do I delete them?