Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.22 Average
A Word of Advice for Let's Players and People in General
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13
Lightbulb  A Word of Advice for Let's Players and People in General

This is a thread pertaining to the many threads popping up in the forum lately, as well as giving some advice to those who wish to make and are currently making videos of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and its numerous custom stories.

I have seen numerous people asking for others to suggest custom stories for the person to do YouTube videos on - this is all fine and well but have you used the Showcase or ModDB website yet before asking this? This is where people generally go to find custom stories to play instead of directly asking the community in the form of a thread.

This is not to insult or demean anyone, it's just these threads are beginning to become redundant and quite silly. Heck before making one you could look at one already made and go off of those suggestions in that thread if you wish.

Before making another thread asking this question, please check here and here if you are looking for a custom story to do a Let's Play video on. There are ranking systems in place for both in the form of stars in the forum and an 'out of ten' for the custom stories on the ModDB website. It's quite handy actually!

After you have uploaded your video you can either post a reply to the thread already made for the specific custom story, make your own thread (though please if you do so make a general Let's Play video thread and not a thread for each custom story you play), send a PM to the creator linking him/her to the video, or just don't mention it at all and put your YouTube channel link in your signature to help de-clutter the forum.

Now time for some advice for those who are actually making videos!

When you make make a video for Amnesia, or actually any game in general, please remember a few things: You are playing a game, and the general goal of a game is to enjoy yourself (whether it be through fear, comedy, intriguing story, etc.) Because of this, have fun doing it! If you're not having fun, your viewer won't be having fun either. The idea of a commentated Let's Play is to sell the personality of the commentator as well as the quality of the game currently being played. If you don't believe you have the personality, try doing silent immersion walkthroughs, subtitle Let's Plays, or even just another form of video-making.

Make sure you have your technical issues sorted out before recording. Do a small test recording to see how your audio sounds, your framerate, resolution, video quality looks, everything. I've seen many videos of people with very small screens, barely audible microphones, slideshows, too dark to see, far too high audio, playing with video settings for three minutes before actually getting into the game, everything. Try to get this all squared away before you upload it to the internet.

With that square away, while you are recording remember to be yourself. This is that personality thing I mentioned earlier - this is your bread and butter. You've been yourself all your life, you are the best at this so do this! Don't try to be someone you are not, don't try to act unnaturally to situations and try to force things while the recording is going on. If you do this people will notice and it will just make the video awkward and uncomfortable to watch. Be comfortable when you are recording, don't uncharacteristically try to use a tone you never use or imitate your favorite YouTuber - just be you. The natural you. That is your selling point.

Finally, after you finish your recording and you're in your video editing software of choice, this is where you need to make things happen. Take the footage you have made and watch it as you edit. Try to trim away things that would waste the viewers time that are just not interesting, like being stuck in a room for five minutes because you don't see where to go, loading screens, backtracking, you having to go AFK for a moment because your dog just vomited on your new kicks - it's really simple to trim this away and put the remaining footage together.

Once you have finished with this video and have settled on a stopping point, it is all rendered and everything in the settings you have chosen - watch it. This sounds weird, but watch your own video. Did you enjoy watching your video? Did you smile at a point, laugh at another, get startled at one more and go 'lolwut' to finish? Then you had fun watching your video! This means it's ready to go on the internet and hopefully others will enjoy it as well. This is a big thing I don't think many people actually do, that being I don't think they actually watch their own product and enjoy it themselves. If you don't like your own videos then how do you expect other people to like them as well? If you didn't enjoy it, skip that custom story and do another, or maybe take it into the editing room and give it some clever editing to make things more streamlined and humorous - just be creative.

This was something I've been wanting to say for a long time and finally decided to sit down and type it - hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Good luck guys and have fun with your recording. Take care.

Disclaimer: Again this was not intended to insult any individual, make them feel bad, or discourage anyone. This is merely constructive criticism meant to help improve the quality of those who read it and follow its steps.

11-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8
RE: A Word of Advice for Let's Players and People in General

Words of wisdom, Cry

11-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

there will probably be some kids who dont read this thread
plz frictionalgames, make this a sticky

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM by BlueFury.)
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Find
Vyzor Offline

Threads: 5

(11-22-2011, 04:08 PM)BlueFury Wrote: there will probably be some kids who dont read this thread
plz frictionalgames, make this a sticky

Indeed, this needs to be a sticky.

I get annoyed at times seeing topics cry stated up, really hope this calls their attention.

And cry keep doing great LP's vids I love them Smile

[Image: vyzorbackgroundm.png]
11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If people miss Jens's topic and the Showcase sub-forum anyway, what makes you think making this topic a sticky will guide the "blind"?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Website Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(11-22-2011, 07:17 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If people miss Jens's topic and the Showcase sub-forum anyway, what makes you think making this topic a sticky will guide the "blind"?
Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

Stickied topics are almost always overlooked, it'd be best to just keep it where it is and hope a curious sort clicks on it and gives the time to read its contents.

11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

I suggest that when you see threads that somebody asking for custom stories, post there link to this thread. I think that it would be good idea, but it's just a suggestion.

And "naked grunt" haha Big Grin

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM by Unearthlybrutal.)
11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(11-22-2011, 07:38 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

As I'm fully agree with Your Computer on the issue, I can't be more a agree to this statement either. However, when people open the thread, and when they see the amount of text, I wonder what kind of expression their face will have.

Also, on the topic.
Even if custom story is bad, don't humiliate it, don't insult the people who have work in it. Have some respect. If you can't do this, don't play it, don't upload it.

I hereby condemn all of those who insults the people who puts their work into something in their LPs, and those who comments and likes these LPers. May the humiliation finds thee to remind their acts.

11-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

(11-22-2011, 09:14 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 07:38 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

As I'm fully agree with Your Computer on the issue, I can't be more a agree to this statement either. However, when people open the thread, and when they see the amount of text, I wonder what kind of expression their face will have.

Also, on the topic.
Even if custom story is bad, don't humiliate it, don't insult the people who have work in it. Have some respect. If you can't do this, don't play it, don't upload it.

I hereby condemn all of those who insults the people who puts their work into something in their LPs, and those who comments and likes these LPers. May the humiliation finds thee to remind their acts.

Wise words bro

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Find
MrCookieh Offline

Threads: 8

I understand what you're saying, Cry, but let's be realistic:
Most of the commentators, who are asking for custom stories, won't even see this thread, and if they do, they will be shocked by the wall of text.
I know, you put an huge amount of work here, but I think it's too much for some people Smile

I hope you get my point.
Have a nice day Smile

The Well: Descent - Take a look at it!
11-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Find