Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
24-Hour Custom Story Challenge
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
RE: 24-Hour Custom Story Challenge

Ok so, its 5:21 AM GMT, being doing this for just about 12 hours now!
Going to grab a little bit of rest and finish off tomorrow!

Just finished a section which wasn't intentionally supposed to be all that scary - but it actually was quite intense. Got loads done, way more done that I was expecting. I didn't really come across that many bugs (apart from one which made me have to scrap a few puzzle designs). Tomorrow in the remaining few hours, I'll program in the final chase sequence, add the music and write the lang file entries - hopefully Wink.
I will not be including the time it takes to "package" up the story (that is, work out where the heck all the entities I am using are and including them in the folder) in the dev time (if this is ok) because I'd like to make sure people can actually run the map and it always takes me far longer than it should because all my custom entities are rather stupidly placed in one folder used for all my mods Tongue.

Don't know what time I'll get around to spending an hour or so faffing about with the "packaging" and uploading, because as soon as I'm done with the map I've got other stuff i need to do!

Edit DONE!
What are the settings I should put on my level transition door for the hub?
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM by Apjjm.)
11-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

(11-27-2011, 06:29 AM)Apjjm Wrote: Edit DONE!
What are the settings I should put on my level transition door for the hub?
Don't worry about it, I'll make all the necessary changes.

11-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

Dang, I'll have to try out that "special mod of short stories"! Smile Very nice idea Cry.
11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Find
Mikhail Offline

Threads: 0

This sounds interesting. Count me in. The custom story I'm working on right now is not going to be complete any time soon, and I want to release something to see what people think about my work.

Just one question. Are there any rules about how to do the beginning of the CS? Or can we start it in whatever way we want? For example, can we use outdoor environments at the beginning? The same question goes for the end of the CS. Do they have to make sense with the hub map? I have a nice idea I want to try, but if I want to use it I need to know if I have the freedom I need in how to do the begining and the end.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011, 11:10 PM by Mikhail.)
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(11-27-2011, 11:09 PM)Mikhail Wrote: This sounds interesting. Count me in. The custom story I'm working on right now is not going to be complete any time soon, and I want to release something to see what people think about my work.

Just one question. Are there any rules about how to do the beginning of the CS? Or can we start it in whatever way we want? For example, can we use outdoor environments at the beginning? The same question goes for the end of the CS. Do they have to make sense with the hub map? I have a nice idea I want to try, but if I want to use it I need to know if I have the freedom I need in how to do the begining and the end.
Think of it like that doors in Nightmare Before Christmas - how each door led to its own little world. That's essentially what I'm going for here.

You go through the door, you come out in the creator's own 24 hour-made world. You can do anything you want with it. :]

11-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(11-27-2011, 11:09 PM)Mikhail Wrote: This sounds interesting. Count me in. The custom story I'm working on right now is not going to be complete any time soon, and I want to release something to see what people think about my work.

The CS may be made ANY WAY you want. do whatever you can imagine in 24 hours. =P

The Hub is ONLY so you can go from campaign to campaign when one is complete, rather than have all the CS's run through one after the other (confusing and unclean). Your campaign doesn't have to fit the theme of the hub. I know MINE doesn't whatsoever.

11-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Find
Mikhail Offline

Threads: 0

Awesome.

That's a relief. I already have 17:30 hs of work done. xD

I'll finish it tomorrow.

11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

I could easily get a good map done in 24 hours but the problem is scripting <_<

looking forward to the finished custom story.
11-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Fuck, just found this thread, got exited, looked at date 29th, fuuu, maybe there is still time, looked at clock 00:20 am..well well, next time hopefully Smile.

11-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(11-29-2011, 12:19 AM)Vradcly Wrote: Fuck, just found this thread, got exited, looked at date 29th, fuuu, maybe there is still time, looked at clock 00:20 am..well well, next time hopefully Smile.
It says MIDNIGHT OF THE 29TH... This is the 28th! You have a perfect 24 hours to get one done. HURRY =D
11-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Find