Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

My comments in bold, in the spoilers:

(03-03-2013, 03:11 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I got one. I'm gonna edit it with more, but it's uploading very slow Sad
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2rgcrie.jpg]
Don't mind the thing below. Just another Satanic Ritual.

IMO, the back wall needs a bit of lighting contrast. Since the room is already fairly well lit, there's no point in having the lightable lantern above. Perhaps instead add a lit torch or something to the back wall.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 2yjyh61.jpg]
Fog.
That billboard thingy(That is a billboard thingy, right?) intersects the beams above and makes it look fake. Also, with a hole that big in the ceiling, I would think there would be more ambient light in the entire room.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 15xu7ub.jpg]
The fountain.
DAT BILLBOARD.

YES DAT BILLBOARD. The light is saturating specific parts of the room and there isn't enough ambient light to justify it. Maybe tone it down a bit? Change the color?

Waht is wrong wit diz?

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

How do you guys take your screenshots? Do you take them in-game or do you take them in mapviewer?
03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(03-03-2013, 02:57 PM)Adny Wrote: 1)my only qualm with this is the fog (it cuts through the ground and doesn't really look colored). 2) Also, the spiderweb and ground crack decals/static objs are way too glow-y; unless its in a really bright area, it looks weird.

final suggestion, 3) add the grass decal to that dirt-part of the floor that grass is growing out of. Aside from that, everything else looks great.

Andy, Thanks for the suggestions! and readd me to steam plz Here's my comments.

1) : What do you mean with "cuts to the ground? and the colour is supposed to be dark green, but I aimed to make it realistic and despite the really turned off colour I think a more intense green would make it fancy and not realistic.

2) : I'll try to remove the illum out of the cracks, but I tried also to put it out some other static objects and there was no illum! so these will keep flashing with white for eternity, unless I find a way to fix them, I did know this already Sad

3) : I will! I didn't do it at first because I thought with the dirt texture the ground would've been too fancy. there is grass everywhere on dirt and since the texture was really dirty already (grass grow on dirt too), I didn't want to add any other decals, but I will try it!

So, another one that gives me another suggestion for my image? JustAnotherPlayer for the SECOND time posted other 3 images and prevent me from getting other criticism :[

Tigerwav: I shot them ingame unelss there is a proper reason to take them from the mapviewer.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM by Hardarm.)
03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(03-03-2013, 03:11 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I got one. I'm gonna edit it with more, but it's uploading very slow Sad

Waht is wrong wit diz?
(to avoid a terabyte of writing I'll just list off any issues)

Pic #1:
Spoiler below!

-Fogs not colored (and more than likely fade distances aren't fixed)
-Light dust particles aren't colored
-Orange lights on the walls around the edge of the room don't look like they fit with the rest of the area.
-Floor tile almost seems too big (the ground looks like a giant brown sponge)
-Walls are missing welders (they need to go between every wall in the castle + mansion sets)
-For the wood ceiling, the direction of the plane is perpendicular to the direction of the broken ceiling piece. work with the tile/scale amounts to line everything up perfectly.
-Needs more overall detail.

Pic #2:
Spoiler below!

-Those billboards honestly look awful: uncolored, clipping through static objects like no one's business. Look at FG maps for a better reference. Billboards are probably the most difficult thing to work with on this engine, just make a lot of them, and make them very faint (dark colored, leave alpha @ 1). Your color values shouldn't really exceed 1.5. There was a billboard thread a while back I wrote a wall of text for, you should try finding that if you have the time.

Pic #3:
Spoiler below!

-Building default walls on top of default. S'not good. Use the default for the ground level, then extensions for each level above that.
-"DAT BILLBOARD" indeed... just read the stuff for pic #2 again.
-Very empty
-Lighting is very poorly done, there is absolutely no color or contrast, just white lights spammed everywhere.

Was this your first time mapping?

I rate it 3 memes.
03-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

(03-03-2013, 05:56 PM)Hardarm Wrote: Tigerwav: I shot them ingame unelss there is a proper reason to take them from the mapviewer.

What would you recommend doing about the screeneffects? Like the "freeze"-effect when it's dark for example.
03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

(03-03-2013, 06:13 PM)Tigerwaw Wrote:
(03-03-2013, 05:56 PM)Hardarm Wrote: Tigerwav: I shot them ingame unelss there is a proper reason to take them from the mapviewer.

What would you recommend doing about the screeneffects? Like the "freeze"-effect when it's dark for example.

Go on options and disable the Sanity effects, or any other effect.

03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Website Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Ok, so here's some screenshots from a map I made. I know it's not perfect, but I think it's ok.

The map:
Spoiler below!
[Image: T2Jdhzy.png]

Close-up on the cabin:
Spoiler below!

[Image: aKDzbYS.png]
03-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(03-03-2013, 05:48 PM)Tigerwaw Wrote: How do you guys take your screenshots? Do you take them in-game or do you take them in mapviewer?

I take mine in-game by putting it in the largest window-setting possible (not full screen). If I want an image from the ceiling, I'll add an invisible block-box staircase leading to where I want the screenshot from; only problem is not falling from it.

Also, I like your screen shots, but the ambient light is a little bit too dark; try adding a blue-grey boxlight as natural lighting coming from the moon (it wouldn't be pitch-black if the sky is that bright). Also, try changing the colour of your pointlights around the fires to match the colour of their light sources. They're a bit white right now. Other than that, the concept looks pretty awesome - like an abandoned cabin area (spoooooky)!

(03-03-2013, 06:31 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
Spoiler below!

[Image: 02DDEED8AE19223626F12AEE63E8F65C1D96191F]

Anything to improve upon? Yolo

I think it's gorgeous. Maybe add a few chains hanging from the pipes?

Edit: And Hardam, your screenshots are to die for.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

(03-03-2013, 09:28 PM)Kiandra Wrote: Edit: And Hardam, your screenshots are to die for.

Hey, thanks! Smile
also you build very well!
At first your "back-hall" like room was kind of meh,
but then you made it better and better it was so nice Smile
You should work more on the ceiling though, if the ceiling is anyway that kind of monotonous, try to remove unnecessary light from it, so people will not notice it. Else, nobody tells you to not add some welders!

Very nice any way.

Tigerwav: you should work much more in the map, for example add moonlight and put more care into mapping, try to add pebbles to detail the terrain and such other stuff. If you want fences you can try DRedshot's fence pack! (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid81574)

03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(03-03-2013, 09:08 PM)Tigerwaw Wrote: Ok, so here's some screenshots from a map I made. I know it's not perfect, but I think it's ok.

The map:
Spoiler below!
[Image: T2Jdhzy.png]

Close-up on the cabin:
Spoiler below!

[Image: aKDzbYS.png]

Too dark!!!
Look at the sky! It's blue. And the moon is shining pretty bright! You need a box light, and maybe some pointlights to create some shadows from the trees! Would be really awesome

Trying is the first step to success.
03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Find