Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

Okay.. Updated the room with some pipes and smoke/fog ideas.
Spoiler below!

[Image: SmokedRoom2.bmp]
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/1246...dRoom2.bmp

In this image I'm trying out some "warm air = background distortion" by the pipes. Uses the default Amnesia smoke.

Spoiler below!

In these two images I've fog area'd the floor and created a custom smoke/fog particle. I've also removed the "distortion effect".

[Image: MoreSmoke3.bmp]
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/1246...Smoke3.bmp

[Image: MoreSmoke2.bmp]
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/1246...Smoke2.bmp

Spoiler below!

The last image doesn't have a fog area'd floor. Custom smoke particle.

[Image: SmokeNoFog.bmp]
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/1246...eNoFog.bmp

I'm thinking I need to size down the custom particle, it's quite large at the moment. I don't think I would want to fog area the floor - as it shows the borders of the room more clearly. I'd also like to include the distortion with the custom smoke particle as a test.

How do you fog something? I think it gets harder to get it "good looking" the more visible you make a particle. Subtle particles usually look better..

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013, 11:43 PM by Acies.)
03-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Quote: I think it gets harder to get it "good looking" the more visible you make a particle. Subtle particles usually look better.

Very true, and I agree. the current color/alpha you have for the fog looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about making it any more "visible". Although its hard to tell from this screen shot, if the fog is visibly clipping through anything (i.e. you can see sharp lines where fog cuts off due to collision with a model), you may want to make it even fainter.

I rate it 3 memes.
03-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Is a celebrated (within the community) modeler who gets requests daily... uploads pictures in .bmp format. Tongue

[Image: signature-2.png]
03-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-21-2013, 01:14 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Is a celebrated (within the community) modeler who gets requests daily... uploads pictures in .bmp format. Tongue
hehe I do it because I believe BMP has no compression; maximum "bang/detail" for the image. I can see the stupidity in doing that for "test-progress-images" though - taking 24mb of page loading time for my images... Next batch will be .png! :]
(03-20-2013, 11:49 PM)Adny Wrote:
Quote: I think it gets harder to get it "good looking" the more visible you make a particle. Subtle particles usually look better.

Very true, and I agree. the current color/alpha you have for the fog looks fine to me, I wouldn't worry about making it any more "visible". Although its hard to tell from this screen shot, if the fog is visibly clipping through anything (i.e. you can see sharp lines where fog cuts off due to collision with a model), you may want to make it even fainter.
I'll look for clipping, I saw some occuring by a wall. Ultimately I might trade "some clipping issues" for a cool looking fog.. But on my way I'll do my best to avoid it. I will try to experiment some with the settings/images.

[Image: fog1.jpg]

[Image: Smoke_Stock_002_by_mross5013.jpg]

Ultimately I want to achieve something which is more to the "smoke" image. In it there's varying densities and "streaks" which is lacking in the amnesia particle. By combining larger and smaller versions of an image I have, I might be able to create that "general fog" in the first image mixed with the varying density of the smoke in the second one.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM by Acies.)
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

When you have that, it's going to look absolutely amazing!

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
03-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

First run at a sewer section I'm working on. I don't think I've quite got the light color perfect. Also thinking of adding a slight fog (If I just put a fog area over the entire level, will it fog everything or can I make it only foggy at a certain distance from the player?)

I have light dust but I gotta tweak the color as it seems to be blending with the billboards.

Also I'm thinking of putting tiny pointlights on each fungi to give them a very soft faint glow. Not sure if it'd be worth the trouble. Thoughts?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-21_00001.jpg]

[Image: 2013-03-21_00002.jpg]

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
03-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-22-2013, 12:49 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: First run at a sewer section I'm working on. I don't think I've quite got the light color perfect. Also thinking of adding a slight fog (If I just put a fog area over the entire level, will it fog everything or can I make it only foggy at a certain distance from the player?)

I have light dust but I gotta tweak the color as it seems to be blending with the billboards.

Also I'm thinking of putting tiny pointlights on each fungi to give them a very soft faint glow. Not sure if it'd be worth the trouble. Thoughts?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-21_00001.jpg]

[Image: 2013-03-21_00002.jpg]

Problem with second pic. Sunlight isn't that yellow-ish.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

OK, I put in pointlights on the fungi (At least the ones in the screen, I'll do the rest once I know if it looks good) added a bit of fog and edited the light. Here's the 2 areas again. By the way, is there any way to get my spotlight to hit the water instead of the ground under the water?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-22_00001.jpg][Image: 2013-03-22_00002.jpg]

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM by DeAngelo.)
03-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-22-2013, 05:58 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: OK, I put in pointlights on the fungi (At least the ones in the screen, I'll do the rest once I know if it looks good) added a bit of fog and edited the light. Here's the 2 areas again. By the way, is there any way to get my spotlight to hit the water instead of the ground under the water?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-22_00001.jpg][Image: 2013-03-22_00002.jpg]

Decrease the radius of the spotlight until it hits the water.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

DeAngelo, i'd suggest removing the Alpha on the fungi pointlights. The alpha makes the texture the light is spread to more shiny. (enhancing the brightness of the normalmap).
However, the fungi creates the light, but not so much to make the texture more shiny, so try to remove it:

By doing it, you do the same way to recolour the pointlight, just you see this "A" , that's the alpha value. Smile

Another thing guys, did you know that you can set any value (R; G; B; A; ) to more than "1" ? Just write it in the box, you will always see 1 but the value has increased. You can't do it by clicking the arrows though.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM by Hardarm.)
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Website Find