Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

that was from a year and a half ago lol

god reading my old posts is painful

Posting Freak
07-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Website Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

(07-08-2013, 08:26 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I respectfully disagree. The reason light rays exist in real life in the first place is because of particles in the air being illuminated - an example being dust or fog.

In the screenshot, the air looks extremely clean. So my suggestion would be to either reduce the brightness of the billboards or add a fog area to the environment to justify the brightness.

Hmm, now when you point it out there actually is a fog area, but it didn't cover the whole level by some reason, I sometimes move the fog to get a clearer view when adding details, and I've must've forgot to put it back.

Thanks for pointing this out. Smile

(07-08-2013, 05:11 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: @Zandrojakov

Vice versa. I think you should make light rays even more "glowing", much brighter and more yellowish. The argument is that the windows, those yellow windows are very bright and at the moment rays are too ghostish, they do not match the brightness of windows themselves.

At the same time, if I'd be on your place, I could make the corridor itself a bit darker, in order to make whole setting a bit more contrasty. Right now overall mood of the place is too... how to say it O.o shit... it's a "middle". I do not know how to describe that, be honest. It's not gloomy and at the same time not dreamy, positive. It's something in the middle. I hope you'll understand what I mean. And doing anything in the "middle" is always bad (if it's not intented to be "middle"). So I'd recommend to make everything more gloomy, much more, or vice versa a more positive and calm. Your choice.

P.S. It's just a private opinion. You're the author, you're the only one who is right. To ignore someone's recommends is always a decision too.

I don't get it...

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 04:26 AM by Artyom.)
07-09-2013, 04:21 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-08-2013, 07:24 AM)Zandrojakov Wrote: [Image: 2QE5lkJ.jpg]

Like the others said those billboards should be a lot more faint then you currently have them for it to look realistic, and the actual light itself should look more like a blob of light with individual light rays poking through in places if that makes sense (that's the basic look I usually go for at least). The light dust particles should also be colored to match the light itself, so a brownish yellow instead of just pure white.

The light on the wall is also kind of unnecessary since you already have the window as a source of light, and in most cases you only want there to be one source of light, or if you're going to have more than one they should all have a consistent color (unless you're purposely mixing colors that contrast for visual effect, with that said though brownish yellow and white don't really contrast). The window should also be giving off a looot more light then it currently is, with how bright those windows are it should most likely light up that entire section of hallway with that orangish color and probably a little ways down the hallway too. It should really give off just as much light, if not more light, then the lamp. This is the main reason why I think the lamp there really isn't necessary since it's just going to muddle the light when you already have a light source.

Posting Freak
07-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18152

I'm taking model suggestions, so if you, mappers, need models, here you can ask me for them (not monsters)

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

(07-09-2013, 03:05 PM)The chaser Wrote: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18152

I'm taking model suggestions, so if you, mappers, need models, here you can ask me for them (not monsters)

Great! Although I don't think we should spam this thread with model requests si I'll pm you a request Smile

- Inactive account -
07-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

It wasn't my intention to spam it, but, as I know, here is where most of the mappers come, and, what's a modeller if he cannot use his models in maps?

Modelling philosophy besides, I think that that post is better than making another thread in the Custom Stories-Development Section, and that is better to advertise your thread in Dev Resources.

Another thing I see in your screenshot, is that the windows are orange-ish and the light that arrives at the wall is quite white.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

@The chaser

No you didn't spam it but others may write their requests here and derail the thread. Anhow I appreciete your criticism Smile

- Inactive account -
07-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(07-10-2013, 10:28 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [Image: 64DFD2F0061505B09B1C1D4C15C74A081AFBADE1]

An experiment on simplistic lighting, a lack of detail due to the focus on experimental lighting - which I would prefer be criticized

In a mapping way it isn't much interesting, but I must admit the light effect is really curious, like a "light at the final of the tunnel". I like it, gives you will of exploring.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Find
JawlessWarrior Offline

Threads: 2

(07-10-2013, 10:28 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
Spoiler below!
[Image: 64DFD2F0061505B09B1C1D4C15C74A081AFBADE1]

An experiment on simplistic lighting, a lack of detail due to the focus on experimental lighting - which I would prefer be criticized

Gonna agree with Chaser. There is a sense of mystery that could either encourage the player to continue or to be weary, depending on what happens previous to this. I'd be more scared to go up the stairs if there hasn't been a monster recently, but view it as a safe haven if I recently ran into one.

That lens flare effect is pretty cool too.

"Splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl - a lone, silent warrior in a fantasy world." - In Flames
07-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Here's a pic of my outdoors map:

Spoiler below!
[Image: ajE0kl6.jpg]

I selected my landscape model so you guys saw it. I have put the trees manually, with the Grid Height tool that the level editor offers.

And a few more in-game screenshots:

Spoiler below!
[Image: nJuoKVX.png]

[Image: WnLseTv.png]

[Image: 9ex7psr.png]

Is there something that could be improved? I'm sure there is but I don't know what could it be...

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM by The chaser.)
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Find