Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.14 Average
The Interrogation - Chapter 1
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: The Interrogation - Chapter 1

I did! XD trust me, I do. Just sometimes, players need a bit of guidance. As weird as it sounds, there are "techniques" to game development. Things like:

- Brighter areas draw a player towards it. if you want to lead a player to the right direction, have light. (for example... In my 24 hour campaign, "Hunter", I lit the house up to get the player's attention. The area with the pond has no lights, so they player tends to stray away. It isn't until you go to the house that the pond area lights up, THEN the player is more willing to go there, understand?)

- A SMALL hint can go a long way. Or having a player look TOWARDS (not at) something, will make them search in that area. Say, if you had the player's head turn towards the chair, I would have been more inclined to look there. =P

Things like this. There are many more, but I can't think of them. I tend to do them naturally >>
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Yea, you certainly have point, but right now, I just uploaded patch, so MAYBE in future patches ;P.

Thank you anyway Smile

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Find
Cykelulf Offline

Threads: 0

Ah okey thanks yee didnt understand how so it was abit frustrating sitting on a chair for 20 minutes and still nothing happened...
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Okay guys. Patch is submitted and it will be out in moddb as soon it gets authorized.

Till then, you can download patch from below link too Smile!

http://filesmelt.com/dl/The_Interrogatio...atch_1.zip

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

What you suggested to fix the blackbox error, sadly, failed. I still black box :[

-whimpers- Why me :'[

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Sad face Sad

Well, then use this, you just have to skip whole awesome level and see let's play of someone ^^.

Spoiler below!

<Main
ImgFile = "interrogation.jpg"
Name = "The Interrogation Chapter 1"
Author = "Elven"

StartMap = "04_interrogation_room.map"
StartPos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Find
Vesanic Offline

Threads: 1

Just finished it.

I must say, the story is absolutely terrific ! Loved it, and I can't wait to play chapter 2. The scares were subtle and really well built.

Spoiler below!
The whole " relive your memories " experience is an awesome concept, and how abstract the beginning is, that amazed me, really intriguing.

On a more negative note,

Spoiler below!
finding how to unglue the painting was a pain in the ass. You should have made the chisel more obvious, there are quite a few items in the work room (especially the crowbar that made more sense to me), that makes too many to try. I think it's cool to have some kind of mystery trick, it's even necessary I guess, but that was just too much.

Also

Spoiler below!
pretty much the same deal about Norman's room. How are we supposed to guess we can break the door by smashing the candlestick against it ? I mean, when I saw you could hold it, of course I thought it had to be for something, but there again, that was too much. You have to rotate it to have the exact position and then you must be exactly in front of the door. That pissed me off.

And last " bad " point,

Spoiler below!
the whole forest deal was really cool, I totally loved the atmosphere, that's some dope work right there, but the way to the cavern was hella hard to find... Maybe I'm just complaining a bit too much right here, but that's the way it felt to me.

I don't mean you have to make things too obvious because of course, it wouldn't make things interesting at all, but I think you've been too hardcore on that one, haha. But that could be just me, that's my humble opinion, that's all.

Oh,

Spoiler below!
the ending made me SHIT myself, and it made my shit shit itself too. Good job, really.

Overall an excellent custom story. I've heard in the voices you were using some amateur mics (and I'm not blaming you, I ain't rich either), but try to be a little more distant from the mic when you speak, it makes it spit, it doesn't sound really pro haha. Oh, if you need an additional voice for chapter 2, hit me up, I'd be glad to help !
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM by Vesanic.)
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Find
kartanonperuna Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 44

Deaths voice was low quality?I think its pretty good.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM by kartanonperuna.)
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Website Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Thank you for your feedback Smile! Finally feedback what I have actually wanted to get!! So, here are my responses and defenses.

Spoiler below!
I have to agree with the painting. Well, if you used crowbar it gives message that it makes way too much sound Tongue. But else I agree, I did small update in patch though. I changed it into sign, so player has clear view of the painting when they look + when they click on the corner they get perfect hint that it is glued together, aka they need something to clean the glue. Maybe in distant future when I am releasing second patch, I will try to make it with better hinting or something.

The thing with it is very easy, you need to move it from away to door to door (hit it) very fast. So just moving it quickly will do the job. Pretty easy for me, but for other not. But I will not update nor hint it there. I want players to find it out themselves Tongue. In patch though I made it little bit more realistic - if you hit door with it, the light on candles will be blown out, as you move it fast.

Forest part - Excellent. Thats what I planned. Player is in the middle of nowhere, it is dark, there are monsters and has no idea where to go - that is exactly what I wanted to create and that comment that u have no idea where hub is actually gives me success laugh Tongue.

The ending shitting part - I never prepared for that reaction, but - COOL : - D!

Thank you very much for feedback again, I appreciate it a lot. I'll write your name down then for future if i need voice acting : - ).

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM by Elven.)
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Find
Vesanic Offline

Threads: 1

Spoiler below!
Fair enough. I mean maybe I needed to focus more, but I really think you should help the player just a slight bit more haha.

Really ? Mmh, I swear I've had some troubles during that part. I will be honest, I've even said " Fuck the guy who created that custom story, he's a dumbass " haha, but obviously I didn't mean it I was just getting way too angry over this. If it's easier than what I've described, then nevermind what I've said, I just suck.

In the forest, if that's what you wanted, then congratulations hahaha. But yeah really, the atmosphere is brilliant, great job again.

(01-25-2012, 02:05 PM)kartanonperuna Wrote: Deaths voice was low quality?I think its pretty good.
No no, I mean, He did a great job, the acting was all good, but you can hear he was way too close to the microphone, you can hear his breath " hit " the mic, I don't know how to make that clear haha, sorry.

(01-25-2012, 02:07 PM)Elven Wrote: Thank you very much for feedback again, I appreciate it a lot. I'll write your name down then for future if i need voice acting : - ).

Sounds good ! Email is romain_hammond@hotmail.com. Hit me up anytime. And please, bring us chapter 2 as soon as possible !

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM by Vesanic.)
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Find