Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A simple tweak to make Overture's combat a bit more accessible?
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3
RE: A simple tweak to make Overture's combat a bit more accessible?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/sh...p?t=889471

Quote:You have to alter the "settings.cfg" in My Documents.(Thanks Lamento)

Open it with notepad. Then look for the line "SimpleWeaponSwing=" and change the value from false to true.

There´s also another cvar in there, it´s "SimpleSwingInOptions=", wich will add an option to toggle this on and off in the controls menu.

Aditional info:

1-You can also enable quick save on this file, use F4 to save and F5 to load.
2-You can set a custom resolution if the one you have is ot supported.
01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Find
masa2009 Offline

Threads: 3

Thanks a lot for the tip.
Knowing that now, I had to start a new game and try it.

Obviously you lose a bit of immersion by ditching mouse gestures in combat entirely. That's why I had thought of a camera lock that would keep the enemy in your sights, while still allowing to keep the mouse swipes.

But overall it's pretty good. There's a timing to it now, so if you click very briefly, you get the "poke" gesture that was previously obtained by pushing the mouse forward. And if you do a long click, obviously you get the full lateral swipe of the weapon. Thanks to this the weapon controls keep a little tactile aspect, even though it's largely diminished. But after all, the original game already had some pure click-based actions like throwing objets, so making weapons behave like that doesn't feel completely out of place.

And of course the other actions, like opening furniture and doors are still gesture-based.

It does make enemy encounters much easier, there is no doubt about it. You might still get hit (especially when using the hammer early on) since enemies have pretty fast jumping attacks and a fair bit of precision remains needed. It's just a lot less likely that you'll get mauled 3 times (what it takes to die on Normal difficulty) before you've had the time to kill the enemy first.

But if you dial up the difficulty, with 2 hits now being enough to kill you, it should still make it worth your while to play a bit stealthy.

In the end, I think you do lose a little something with this alternate control scheme, but it feels so much more intuitive that I wish I had first played the game like that. Wether it trivializes the experience or not, it just feels more natural, and that counts for immersion, too.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM by masa2009.)
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Find
Faravid Offline

Threads: 0

You know, they made the combat system very difficult and ridiculously hard just so that players would choose to sneak past the enemies instead.. but all those stubborn players (including me!) decided to just fight the enemies no matter what (and then whine about the crappy combat online) so they took it away for BP
02-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Find
PehShunXian Offline

Threads: 2

Yes yes I agree, but overall I really liked the combat because it feels quite realistic. Sure I agree that if they add a lock on feature it did make things easier. But when you fight in Overture, it almost feels like you are actually swinging a weapon even though you aren't.
03-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Please don't start old threads for no good reason.

Derp.
03-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Please do not dig up extremely old threads, if you wish to comment on the topic at hand make a new thread instead!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Find