Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
The Bright Side Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia A Machine for Pigs sound design

Hey Sam, thanks so much for posting here and sharing insights into your work with the community. This means a lot and is just one more reason why I love the independent gaming world. From what you have been writing so far, I do have a few questions and concerns.

Not sure I understand the comment about no 5.1. You say that implementing 5.1 surround requires "investment into the engine", but the engine already supports 5.1. I played through Amnesia TDD in Surround and it worked splendidly. Do I understand correctly that you are saying its successor will be in stereo? And here I was, thinking that era ended somewhere around Doom/Duke Nukem 3D.

Amnesia TDD had 5.1 sound and to me, it was one of the main reasons why it worked so well. I was under the impression that 5.1 sound is a standard in modern games? It's been a while since I've seen any that didn't support it (discounting adventure games or 2D platformers). EDIT: I'm planning to give Dear Esther a spin tonight or tomorrow. Heard some of its beautiful sound in youtube clips already, and look forward to it. Makes me hopeful either way, and happy to see you on board.

Especially for a horror game, which relies so much on positioning sound effects (e.g. the sound of something chasing you coming from the rears), 5.1 Sorround sound is obligatory, no?

Regarding your method, on the one hand, I applaud you for not succumbing to the "Loudness War", and actually counting on dynamics. On the other hand, I am a bit scared (and not in a good way) that this could go the way of most mainstream horror movies, which trade real suspense and dread for cheap jump scares. I just can't help thinking of that when you mention scares accompanied by sudden spikes in sound. TDD didn't need that, and I'd hate for Pigs to rely on it.

When playing the first Amnesia, I didn't exactly monitor my sound levels, so I don't know how much dynamics are in there. I do know that its sound design was nothing short of a masterpiece. Here's the thing though: at no point did TDD rely on jump scares à la "BOO! It's just a cat". The terror was always real and tangible, and rarely ever surprising - it crept up on you and you knew it was coming. I truly hope Pigs won't go in the cheap-thrills direction instead.

Anyway, just kicking around ideas. Love to read your comments. Thanks so much for sharing!
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM by The Bright Side.)
02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Find
pimpinitalian Offline

Threads: 1
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

Sweet baby Jesus have you guys heard that trailer! If that's the monster screaming I might just play the game while on the toliet to save my boxers and Frictional Games better have some female monsters this time because after having a suitor put his little pecker in your face I think you'd agree boobs are a nice change..
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(02-27-2012, 09:22 PM)pimpinitalian Wrote: Sweet baby Jesus have you guys heard that trailer! If that's the monster screaming I might just play the game while on the toliet to save my boxers and Frictional Games better have some female monsters this time because after having a suitor put his little pecker in your face I think you'd agree boobs are a nice change..
Hahaha well it seems legit enough, someone just got churned up by a machine that's for sure...

And yeah ...more boobs ... less penis..... lol
02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Website Find
Atwa Offline

RE: Amnesia A Machine for Pigs sound design

What a pleasant surprise to see you take time out of your day to visit us here at the frictional boards!

First of all I am happy to hear that the same mixing will be implemented in 'A Machine for Pigs' as Battlefield 3. While it does not exactly tell me that much I think Battlefield 3 is the best sounding game, perhaps ever. So of course this is exciting.

Thumbs up for the sound levels though, as I always blast my headphones to max volume when playing Amnesia/Penumbra because that is how I feel it should play. When the monsters do show up the volume should be loud to amplify the fear.

Regarding the mixing, I always use headphones and not speakers. Is there some way to enhance headphones similar to the method you posted?

Anyway, thanks again for dropping by! and I hope to hear more as work progresses on the game.
02-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

(02-27-2012, 03:38 PM)Sebatiger Wrote: DOES ALL OF THIS NEED TO BE ON THIS THREAD?

Seriously though, this thread only was supposed to be for the ARG, if you want to argue over the next game, go make a thread about it, otherwise leave.

Haha! You're so clueless, it's funny....Just leave this thread. This thread was never intended for the ARG. How do I know this? Because I made this thread.

On a second note....that trailer is pretty creepy...I wish it would have some gameplay though Tongue

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM by palistov.)
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Amnesia: a machine for pigs?

Quote:So that way we can build even better custom stories.
yes thats True!
Custom stories - give long life to any game from Frictional Exclamation
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

U guys sure its not fake :/?

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Amnesia: a machine for pigs?

And the name is Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

http://nextfrictionalgame.com

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Fake or not, it's creepy...

02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Find
Atwa Offline

(02-27-2012, 10:34 PM)Elven Wrote: U guys sure its not fake :/?
I'm not sure, seems a bit too good to be fake but on the other hand they spelled 'thechinaroom' instead of 'thechineseroom' seems unprofessional.

Also why not just post it on Frictional Games yt account that already has a bunch of followers.

We'll find out sooner or later.
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Find