Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

(04-05-2012, 02:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life.
I'm sorry but that's just idiotic to say... For example: when I first played Amnesia I was sufficiently terrified, never did I reach the point where I really had to fear quit, but I was most definitely scared. Now I go back and play it and barely get scared at all. Why? Because I've played so many custom stories and worked with HPL2 for so long that it has become a standard sight to me. I no longer feel the need to hide in a corner for a monster to pass, in fact a lot of times when I play custom stories now I'll specifically run in front of a monster for the hell of it to see if I can get away with it without dying. And when one DOES chase me it still isn't very scary, simply because I've had that same experience so many times that it no longer has any affect.

Not to mention that the majority of custom stories that have come out recently (and specifically the ones Pewdiepie has played more recently) have been incredibly un-immersive jumpscare maps, kind of hard to really get scared with those so I really don't blame him for it...

Posting Freak
04-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-05-2012, 04:15 AM)kman Wrote:
(04-05-2012, 02:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life.
I'm sorry but that's just idiotic to say... For example: when I first played Amnesia I was sufficiently terrified, never did I reach the point where I really had to fear quit, but I was most definitely scared. Now I go back and play it and barely get scared at all. Why? Because I've played so many custom stories and worked with HPL2 for so long that it has become a standard sight to me. I no longer feel the need to hide in a corner for a monster to pass, in fact a lot of times when I play custom stories now I'll specifically run in front of a monster for the hell of it to see if I can get away with it without dying. And when one DOES chase me it still isn't very scary, simply because I've had that same experience so many times that it no longer has any affect.

Not to mention that the majority of custom stories that have come out recently (and specifically the ones Pewdiepie has played more recently) have been incredibly un-immersive jumpscare maps, kind of hard to really get scared with those so I really don't blame him for it...
There are of course other things than brain damage that can make you less scared, like desensitation (which still has a psychological impact), experience about what the monster can and cannot do, and bad maps, but PDP is far more than desensitized. A lot of things has just stopped mattering to him completely, and Amnesia has instead become an amusement park to him. When a regular player gets desensitized, he just gets bored, and he has some semblence of respect for both the story, the gameplay and the characters. I wouldn't call it "caring", but the only thing that PewDiePie pays attention to, are inanimate objects. Something has gone wrong with him.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Find
Tekkie Offline

Threads: 1

Well... according to this thread, I'm a psycho! Amnesia doesn't scare me at all any more, though that's probably from systematic desensitisation... and knowledge of scripting. The noises you hear and the darkness don't scare you when you understand how they're scripted to work, the monsters don't scare you when you learn how to effectively run from them, hide, and not get caught. Sure, jump-scares may catch you off-guard a little and make you jump, but I genuinely don't think Amnesia is all that scary any more. If that makes me a psycho, or that means there's something wrong with my brain then so be it. I can really only say one thing, though... the main difference between somebody mentally disturbed and a regular, everyday person in regards to horror games? The ability to distinguish between real and fantasy. I'm not disturbed by the torture rooms in Amnesia, why should I be? Nobody was harmed, and everything has been put there with the specific intention of creeping me out or scaring me. If it's ineffective, then what the hell. Brand me a psycho, mentally disturbed. Say there's something wrong with me. I couldn't give a flying straight-jacket.

As for Pewdiepie... you guys do realise that he's probably nowhere near as... crazy when it comes to playing by himself? When not on camera? His videos are like they are because that's what brings in the viewers, the subscribers, the comments. The attention. Look back to when he first started playing, he was pretty much the same as every other gamer who thought 'what the heck' and posted up a video of himself playing a scary game. Nowadays, he acts like he does because it gets him attention, and he's being branded as a 'psycho' for that? Looks to me as though he's merely responding to what he thinks his viewers want to see... and in my opinion? It's working. Haters gonna hate.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM by Tekkie.)
04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-05-2012, 08:07 AM)Tekkie Wrote: Well... according to this thread, I'm a psycho! Amnesia doesn't scare me at all any more, though that's probably from systematic desensitisation... and knowledge of scripting. The noises you hear and the darkness don't scare you when you understand how they're scripted to work, the monsters don't scare you when you learn how to effectively run from them, hide, and not get caught. Sure, jump-scares may catch you off-guard a little and make you jump, but I genuinely don't think Amnesia is all that scary any more. If that makes me a psycho, or that means there's something wrong with my brain then so be it. I can really only say one thing, though... the main difference between somebody mentally disturbed and a regular, everyday person in regards to horror games? The ability to distinguish between real and fantasy. I'm not disturbed by the torture rooms in Amnesia, why should I be? Nobody was harmed, and everything has been put there with the specific intention of creeping me out or scaring me. If it's ineffective, then what the hell. Brand me a psycho, mentally disturbed. Say there's something wrong with me. I couldn't give a flying straight-jacket.

As for Pewdiepie... you guys do realise that he's probably nowhere near as... crazy when it comes to playing by himself? When not on camera? His videos are like they are because that's what brings in the viewers, the subscribers, the comments. The attention. Look back to when he first started playing, he was pretty much the same as every other gamer who thought 'what the heck' and posted up a video of himself playing a scary game. Nowadays, he acts like he does because it gets him attention, and he's being branded as a 'psycho' for that? Looks to me as though he's merely responding to what he thinks his viewers want to see... and in my opinion? It's working. Haters gonna hate.
In the same way that jump-scares make you jump as if somebody attacked you for real, the torture rooms should make you feel at least a bit uneasy. In the same way that you imagine how things look when you read a book, you're supposed to imagine actually being Daniel, or at least being in the rooms, otherwise the point of horror games, or any game provoking emotion in you, will be lost on you. If you can't, then you can't, but at least that's the idea.

You make it sound like taking the Krusty approach is the only way to get attention on YouTube. It's really not. Regular videos, good quality and clever editing, is enough. While PewDiePie is putting on an overly friendly act, his blatant disrepect for the games he plays, is his own personal choice. A serious gameplay would give him more or less the same amount of subscribers.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Find
Tekkie Offline

Threads: 1

(04-05-2012, 09:01 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: In the same way that jump-scares make you jump as if somebody attacked you for real, the torture rooms should make you feel at least a bit uneasy. In the same way that you imagine how things look when you read a book, you're supposed to imagine actually being Daniel, or at least being in the rooms, otherwise the point of horror games, or any game provoking emotion in you, will be lost on you. If you can't, then you can't, but at least that's the idea.

You make it sound like taking the Krusty approach is the only way to get attention on YouTube. It's really not. Regular videos, good quality and clever editing, is enough. While PewDiePie is putting on an overly friendly act, his blatant disrepect for the games he plays, is his own personal choice. A serious gameplay would give him more or less the same amount of subscribers.

Sure, he may end up with the same amount of subscribers if he played games seriously, but he wouldn't end up with the same fan-base. And nowhere in my previous post did I even suggest that acting as Pewdie does on Youtube is the only way to earn a fan-base or attention, I was merely stating that his way of playing games has worked for his channel, that's all.

You can only see so many maps with the same objects before it doesn't bother you any more; sure, Amnesia has a wide plethora of items that are specifically put there to make the player feel uneasy, but after seeing the same items over and over and over, the feeling of being uneasy wears off. Torture room items are no different.

Jump-scares only scare you because they catch you off guard and surprise you. You don't actually feel as though the monster is literally about to attack you, even if it randomly shows up in your face during game play. Or, at least, that's how I feel about it.

My Youtube Channel: Check out my channel, it's fairly new, but at least the toilets work!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM by Tekkie.)
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Website Find
morsolover Offline

Threads: 0

I guess people just get disturbed and scared from different things. I was myself almost scared to death while playing amnesia (i had watched videos about it before that, but not too much to spoil the experience)
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM by morsolover.)
04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(04-05-2012, 02:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Well, this PewDiePie topic turned into a much bigger deal than I had anticipated. I don't think anything short of a CAT scan can convince either party. My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life. As much as I'd like people to play Amnesia, people who are too young or frail, shouldn't.
That is silly, it is impossible to get brain damage from playing a game xD

Insanity. Static.
04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-06-2012, 01:44 PM)Juby Wrote:
(04-05-2012, 02:41 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Well, this PewDiePie topic turned into a much bigger deal than I had anticipated. I don't think anything short of a CAT scan can convince either party. My original point is that if you find that you don't get affected by people being tortured, or have a difficulty getting scared by monsters chasing you in horror games, then there might be something something wrong with your brain. I'm not sure if something can be done about brain damage other than eating sources of anti-oxidants, and maybe you should avoid horror games in the future, if you know that you may take damage from them that may affect your real life. As much as I'd like people to play Amnesia, people who are too young or frail, shouldn't.
That is silly, it is impossible to get brain damage from playing a game xD
Oh, really now?

04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Find
kiruclanz Offline

Threads: 5

When I played Amnesia (I finished the game) it wasn't all that scary for me either. I only found a few parts scary. The grunts didn't scare me, as I was faster than them. But the brutes... the thought that you can't run and you can only hide scares you. Cause if they are right next to you, you can't tell if they see you or not. And when they start walking towards you, it scares the shit out of you.

Plus, if there are no monsters you feel alone. And you get the feeling it's too quiet and it's not normal that monsters haven't jumped you yet. So that made me even more scared. Which was why I hated the Prison level. Although there was only like 1 grunt and the brutes were scripted, I was still scared.

Same about the Storage. The storage and prison were the levels I hated the most.

I did love the game, though. It was fun. The only part I hated was the male nudity. So everyone ran around nude in the 1800's? Unless the grunts killed them then took their clothes Tongue Plus what was the point of Alexander being naked? Did the "Orb room's power remove his clothes"? Then why wasn't Daniel nude? Honestly I think Alexander wanted some breeze on his balls or something lol.

And not that I measured it or stared or anything and not to sound gay... but all the dicks were so small lol.

I just wish someone would make an Amnesia mod (not custom story just a mod) called "Amnesia: The Clothed Descent" that would replace all the nude bodies with clothed ones (including Alexander)
04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(04-06-2012, 04:33 PM)kiruclanz Wrote: I did love the game, though. It was fun. The only part I hated was the male nudity. So everyone ran around nude in the 1800's? Unless the grunts killed them then took their clothes Tongue Plus what was the point of Alexander being naked? Did the "Orb room's power remove his clothes"? Then why wasn't Daniel nude? Honestly I think Alexander wanted some breeze on his balls or something lol.
Supernatural telepathic being should wear clothes? He's not even human, probably just wears clothes to disguise himself more humane.

Think of it as torture to be forced naked and left in a cold cell.

I always find peoples uneasiness about nudity funny, I guess its a culture thing.

04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Find