Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game crashes and complaints about not enough texture units with latest nVidia driver
thetargos Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Game crashes and complaints about not enough texture units with latest nVidia driver

I just installed the latest nVidia graphics driver on my system with a GeForce FX 5900. Penumbra crashes stating that the graphics card doesn't support enough texture units. Upon inspecting the generated hpl.log there is something really weird:

Setting up OpenGL
  Max texture image units: 140668848
  Max texture coord units: 140668848

The file is attached, so anyway I hope this helps trying to figure out what is going on, or if this is a problem with other nVidia cards and the latest driver.
09-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Find
thetargos Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes and complaints about not enough texture units with latest nVidia driver

Just to make sure other applications worked, I tried to run other games, both 64-bit and 32-bit games. UT2004 64-bit worked, Doom3 (32-bit game) crashed (segfault) using OpenGL directly (no SDL) and Quake 4 (32-bit game) worked, as well as Neverwinter Nights (both using SDL) and UT'99 (using OpenGL directly) also crashed with segmentation fault. At this point it would look like a problem with the 32-bit libs installed by the driver... Any suggestions? (I know, reverting back to the older driver will get this resolved, just want to isolate the issue). Maybe it is a problem with the packaged version of the driver (installed off Livna Fedora repository), maybe the reference nVidia driver doesn't have the issue, will test with it too.
09-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Find
thetargos Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes and complaints about not enough texture units with latest nVidia driver

Apparently there is a problem on how the driver is packaged by Livna, the "vanilla" driver works just fine. Disregard this thread, please.
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

you can also test the nvidia driver from freshrpms.net. That is the one that I use. though currently I'm still using the 97xx series and haven't upgraded to the 100.xxx.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Website Find