Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Surprise [UPDATED]
JawJoe Offline

Threads: 2
The Surprise [UPDATED]

EDIT: Added link to updated version of the map containing tons of fixes and improvements

Hey!

I'm quite new to this whole map-making business, but I really liked Amnesia and wanted to see what I can do. It's a really simple map, I expect average completion time to be between 5 and 10 minutes (and 10 minutes is really stretching it!). Took about a week to complete, and for what it's worth, I'm really proud of it. It may not be scary, it may be buggy and short, but it's mine.

Link (updated version!): http://www.mediafire.com/?2nj2usl5j4uxv7d

I'd like to have some people play it and hear their thoughts. Since the map is so short and silly, I'm looking for advice more from a "design" perspective than anything. What was scary? What wasn't? What worked and what didn't?

Update changelist:
Spoiler below!

-Fixed countless clipping issues (walls)
-Fixed ceiling at multiple places (also added ceiling where it was actually missing)
-Player will now look at the zombie when it spawns (it wasn't as obvious before)
-Fixed doorways (no glitchy black border)
-The "screwed-up room" is now a tiny bit more screwed up
-Fixed box lights clipping
-Added description and picture when loading the map from the main menu

It should be much more polished overall.

Screenshots:

[Image: surpscreen3.jpg]
[Image: screen1.jpg]
[Image: screen2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM by JawJoe.)
03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Find
swapinamnesia Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The Surprise (my first map)

haha very nice map. in the beggining it was scary then at the end lol haha very nice map good job.
03-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I really liked this map. I've played it two times, and didn't notice any big gigantic flaws so far. Also, music works just fine.

My favorite parts: Super non-linear mind-f*ck gameplay FTW.

There is something that bothers me a bit though:
Spoiler below!

In the second door in the hallway, at the very end there's a big dark space that triggers a teleportation if you go to the very edge. Now this might just be me, but I think it was a *bit* confusing as what to do there. I honestly scraped it by luck.

I'll play it a few more rounds later to see if I can find anything to suggest^^
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM by Kreekakon.)
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Find
JawJoe Offline

I'm glad you guys like it! Any new insight is welcome.

(03-18-2012, 03:15 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: There is something that bothers me a bit though:
Spoiler below!

In the second door in the hallway, at the very end there's a big dark space that triggers a teleportation if you go to the very edge. Now this might just be me, but I think it was a *bit* confusing as what to do there. I honestly scraped it by luck.

Hmm.
Spoiler below!

My idea was that the player would be running forward to escape the dark and as such they wouldn't see the drop, hitting them by surprise. Guess I was wrong there. Smile At any rate, it's rather "mind-screwy" this way too. I imagine if someone is stuck and can't progress further, they'll have to take a leap of faith off the edge. Or not. Hmm.

03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Find
Starleafgamer Offline

Here's my lets play of your CS, JawJoe Big Grin

The Surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdbXQg8LF...5PzmWPDXI=

ENJOY! Big Grin
03-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Find
JawJoe Offline

Added link to the updated version of the map to the first post. If
anyone's feeling up to it, go ahead and play it - I await any and all
feedback.
(03-23-2012, 08:22 AM)Starleafgamer Wrote: Here's my lets play of your CS, JawJoe Big Grin

The Surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdbXQg8LF...5PzmWPDXI=

ENJOY! Big Grin
It was good seeing the map from someone else's point of view; showed me lots of flaws that I didn't even notice after spending all that time working on the map. I went back and took a long hard look at it after watching this, and I think I managed to fix most of the problems you brought up (and what I noticed meanwhile).

03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Find
Starleafgamer Offline

RE: The Surprise [UPDATED]

(03-23-2012, 05:24 PM)JawJoe Wrote:
(03-23-2012, 08:22 AM)Starleafgamer Wrote:
It was good seeing the map from someone else's point of view; showed me lots of flaws that I didn't even notice after spending all that time working on the map. I went back and took a long hard look at it after watching this, and I think I managed to fix most of the problems you brought up (and what I noticed meanwhile).
I know, what you mean Smile It's always nice to see someone else play it for a diffrent point of view, because it's easier to find glitches and stuff like that. Smile I'm glad you fixed the problems and I think you did a good job, consider as your first custom story Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM by Starleafgamer.)
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8

I liked the ending very much Smile The places were just too simple looking. You could have made them more detailed. But otherwise it was fun to play. You had some good ideas made in there! 8/10.

03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Find
Officer D Offline

Threads: 0

Ok, Mr. Man. I also gave it a LP. You had some good ideas but the level design was kind of random. I know it was ment to be like that but some placements just looked sloppy.

03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Website Find
JawJoe Offline

(03-24-2012, 12:19 PM)Officer D Wrote: Ok, Mr. Man. I also gave it a LP. You had some good ideas but the level design was kind of random. I know it was ment to be like that but some placements just looked sloppy.

*snip*
Hmm, it seems you too played the older version. Gameplay is exactly the same, and while the update isn't a miracle, it still cleans up lots of errors and glitches (like the weird black border on the doors), adds a picture and description at the beginning making it better / less "sloppy" / more professional looking overall. ..I don't think I fixed the book clipping through the shelf though, never noticed that before. :|

At any rate, thanks for playing! Feedback is always much appreciated. These LPs are going to be some great help when (if) I start working on serious Custom Stories.

Spoiler below!

I'm also really glad to see the shadow-under-door scare worked.
And I actually wanted to put a lantern in, which was supposed to be sitting on the chair in the first room (which you could move). I decided to remove it because it seemed to ruin the effect of the dark corridors my map's so full of.
As for the chair, I know players love throwing those things around, and if it got in front of the door, it would ruin the whole door-scare and mess with the shadow, so I ended up making it immovable.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM by JawJoe.)
03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Find