Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
My Little Pony and Amnesia...
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0
RE: My Little Pony and Amnesia...

Here's my problem: this whole "nothing but jumpscare and pony maps" thing is a load of crap. I'm not going to argue the jumpscares thing because that is true, most maps out now are jumpscare riddled, but you're way off with the pony thing. Honestly, look at how many custom stories there are in total. I alone have almost 90 in my folder, and I haven't downloaded all the maps I've come across, nor do I have any of the Full Conversion mods out at the moment. There's hundreds of stories out there. Now, let's look at how many, as far as I know, actually have ponies. You have House of Creep 7 which had a small pony model in one room (only one room mind you), there's that recent one The Surprise which wasn't even a very well constructed humor mod, theres the Small Horse series, which is 3 humor mods so far, and Laughing in the Dark. Thats 6. 6 maps that contain ponies. Out of hundreds. I could understand if every single map was pony themed and there was nothing but ponies everywhere, but there's not. The whole thing is being blown way out of proportion and its hilarious to watch people complain about the 6 mods that actually contain the content they hate, and make it out as if there's a million of them plaguing the site.

Turning around and calling me "narrow minded" on a subject that is completely narrow minded and isn't even worth complaining about is just hilarious. If you hate the content so much, go around to the humor mod threads, and before downloading them, ask if there's ponies. Honestly, it's not that hard, everyone is making a huge deal out of something that really isn't.

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

(03-31-2012, 12:20 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Now its /thread
Just because you want the last word, does not mean you can decide when an aproprate time to close the thread is.

(03-31-2012, 12:42 AM)kman Wrote:
(03-31-2012, 12:20 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Learn to approach a subject with tact instead of just unleashing a whiny rant about "BAWW PONIES AND THE FANS ARE RUINING MY GAME".

Thought I'd say something about this... While I can understand where you're coming from, I think he does have some sense in saying they're at least bringing down the community. For example, I remember back when pretty much any custom story was released I could download it and be pretty much guaranteed that it would have a good story, some time and effort put into the maps, and some creativity to it. Then the pony and jumpscare maps started coming along...

For a while it was just one or two popping up every so often, and I was fine with it then, cause like it's been said I didn't have to play them and they were usually pretty easy to pick out. Then they started getting rather famous, as a lot of people started making LP's of JUST JUMPSCARE MAPS. And then it kind of just became a wide spread trend, to the point now where 9/10 custom stories released now are either jumpscare maps or pony maps, and it seems like a lot of people are saying they're fans of Amnesia JUST because of these kinds of maps. Basically what I'm saying is, yes, I do believe he has grounds to say that these kind of maps (or rather this mindset the community has fallen into) are ruining the potential of Amnesia custom stories (though I do believe he's pinning the blame on something that doesn't really deserve it). Because now instead of a newbie coming in and seeing well thought out stories they see jumpscares and pony ragdolls/decals thrown around everywhere. I hope that made sense, sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things...

If you can't agree with what I said at least a little bit, then I'm sorry but you're the narrow minded one here.

^^^^^^^^^^ EXACTLY. +1 Rep.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Website Find
Kaizy Offline

(03-31-2012, 01:25 AM)JetlinerX Wrote:
(03-31-2012, 12:20 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Now its /thread
Just because you want the last word, does not mean you can decide when an aproprate time to close the thread is.
Honestly, no one can, so I don't know why anyone would just post /thread

So just hear me out, I can be civil about this
And as I said, I can agree with what he's saying about the jumpscares. Play a new map thats released, and there's a very high chance that it's going to contain jumpscares throughout because it's becoming the norm, which is disappointing. I love atmosphere and tension building in the maps I enjoy, jumpscares are just a one time cheap shot to startle you. So, I can sympathize on that.

The problem begins when you start clumping ponies and jumpscares as if they're the same thing when they are most certainly not. Jumpscares, as said, are incredibly common now and in just about every single map, whether it be humor or serious. Ponies, are practically in no maps as it is, and are pretty much confined to joke mods because it's really hard to take a map seriously when there's a colorful pony in it. There's maybe 2 well known map creators that actually use ponies, and there's a handful of maps that, at the least, contain one pony model. Jumpscares and ponies are not even NEAR the same level of abuse, and have nothing in common as far as problems go. It seems like everyone has more of a problem with jumpscares and are just clumping ponies with it and using that as a jumping off point to go off on the real issue of jumpscare abuse in recent maps. As I've said, if ponies were as rampant as jumpscares in maps, I would whole-heartily agree that they're becoming a problem, but they're not. There's only a few joke mods that contain a pony, and there isn't any reason to complain about them.

Honestly, you want to complain about a fandom abuse in these mods, complain about the massive influx of PewDiePie maps that get made; maps filled with PDP jokes, teleporting naked guys, acknowledgement of Stephano/other PDP jokes, as well as notes/titles/descriptions that actually say "HI I MADE THIS FOR PEWDIEPIE". That's a MUCH bigger infestation that ponies. AND they contain jumpscares in every map.

So, my problem is, if you want to go off on a serious problem in the community, go off on something that's actually a problem. Those 6 or so maps that have some cartoons in them are not a big enough problem to need a thread devoted to the hatred of them. That's really where I'm coming from.

Its great fun
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM by Kaizy.)
03-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Find
Raku Offline

(03-31-2012, 01:47 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Honestly, you want to complain about a fandom abuse in these mods, complain about the massive influx of PewDiePie maps that get made; maps filled with PDP jokes, teleporting naked guys, acknowledgement of Stephano/other PDP jokes, as well as notes/titles/descriptions that actually say "HI I MADE THIS FOR PEWDIEPIE". That's a MUCH bigger infestation that ponies. AND they contain jumpscares in every map.

So, my problem is, if you want to go off on a serious problem in the community, go off on something that's actually a problem. Those 6 or so maps that have some cartoons in them are not a big enough problem to need a thread devoted to the hatred of them. That's really where I'm coming from.
I have to agree with this. There are way more uses of jump scares/Pewdiepie memes than ponies.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012, 02:52 AM by Raku.)
03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

First off, my point wasn't that it includes ponies, it was that it's disappointing to see low quality stories becoming the norm, I just mentioned poy stories to stay on topic. And, well, every map with ponies I've seen so far have been INCREDIBLY low quality.

Second, yes, it might just be 6 stories, but I want you to think about this for a second. How did jumpscare maps become the norm? One person made one, then it gave people the idea to make their own, then that continued until it was wide spread. Now think about it, when have these pony stories been released? I'd say in the last month or so. What Jetliner is worrying about I think (and what I'm worried about) is that the same thing will happen with pony maps.

As for talking about Pewdiepie maps, the reason I believe we're not going over that is because that issue has already been talked about and complained about a LOT. Everything that can bee said about them has already been said elsewhere, and by this point people would just be repeating themselves (why I've tried to stop complaining about them so much too).

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2012, 03:40 AM by Kman.)
03-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Website Find
Kaizy Offline

I honestly can't see pony maps becoming as big a problem as jumpscares. Think about this: jumpscares are universal and can be used both seriously and jokingly, meaning they have a wider appeal for use in these mods. Jumpscares are widely used, even outside Amnesia, and have a massive reputation in horror games/movies, so its only natural that one by one people would default to using them in their stories. They're an easy, go-to scare tactic that anyone can toss into their story to make it "better". Ponies are very different. You cannot make a serious mod with ponies, so they're going to be very limited to how they can be used...I highly doubt you'll see any mod try to use ponies in a serious manner, meaning you're only going to see them in the joke mods, and those are very easily distinguishable on sight, so avoidance is easy. Ponies are not a common thing in the horror genre, and most people making mods are going to try to be scary, so they're going to default to jumpscares much quicker than they would ponies. And even as far as joke mods go, you are definitely going to see a lot more internet memes or PewDiePie content than you will ponies. So it's very very unlikely that they're going to spawn off and essentially become the new jumpscare of Amnesia mods. This paranoia that ponies are growing into this massive thing thats going to overtake the game is ridiculous because they aren't flexible enough for a wide use, and as we can see here, they're not so popular to the game that they can grow into a problem.

Ponies growing into a big problem like jumpscares is just...honestly, impossible.

Its great fun
03-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

Quote:Honestly, you want to complain about a fandom abuse in these mods, complain about the massive influx of PewDiePie maps that get made; maps filled with PDP jokes, teleporting naked guys, acknowledgement of Stephano/other PDP jokes, as well as notes/titles/descriptions that actually say "HI I MADE THIS FOR PEWDIEPIE". That's a MUCH bigger infestation that ponies. AND they contain jumpscares in every map.
This, I can agree with. I hate those maps, but here is where they both dove-tail. If I had caught PewDiePie maps when there were only 6, I would have started the exact same topic, only titled "PewDiePie and Amnesia" but instead, it was already a plague with a gigantic scar on the community. Now that there are 6 MLP maps, I am fighting to stop it, before it becomes another large scar on the community, and lets face it. PewDie maps are something that are still in the engine. While I cant stand those types of modders who want to create a map JUST FOR PewDie, I also cant see why you are trying to shove a children's cartoon, into an adult horror game.

MLP is the round peg, and Amnesia is the square hole. No matter how hard you force it, it just wont fit.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Website Find
Kaizy Offline

Well, let's get something straight here, Amnesia is no more an "adult horror game" anymore than anything is "adult" these days. Anyone can play Amnesia, and labeling it as "adult" is as pointless as labeling cartoons for "children" only. I can disprove your little "adult" thing with one example. Let's take a look at an "adult" show shall we; let's talk about Family Guy.

Family Guy is something that has been marketed as "adult", aimed towards the older people. Now, what gloriously "adult" content are they shoving into our faces? Fart/bowel movement jokes, a plethora of racist jokes, and 30 minutes of an overweight man acting like he's 3. Do tell me just how "adult" this content is. This is stuff a child would find amusing, not a fully grown adult (maybe one with the mind of a child might). That "children's cartoon" you keep going out of you way to bash is much more structured, and is more "adult" by comparison than that "adult" labeled cartoon. Your "adult" game is played by kids who have barely entered puberty, and the proof is all over Youtube. So stop blatantly throwing around this "oh, this is an ADULT game, and that show is for CHILDREN" argument, because its a weak crutch with no support. Anyone can enjoy anything, and they do; target audiences are all crap because no one knows who is going to enjoy their content and who isn't, and the proof is right there.

And, as I've already stated, PewDiePie maps have more to build off of and have more variety to them that can pass as a regular map until you figure out it's PDP oriented. I played through a map and I didn't realize I was playing a PDP map until halfway through when barrel jumpscares stared becoming prominent. Those maps have content that can be applied in more situations and, by comparison, have more appeal to be copied countless times to create mass amounts of similar maps. Ponies do NONE of this. As you keep stating, ponies and Amnesia don't mix well. They're VERY limited to how they can be used because they're restricted to joke mods. When you download a joke mod, you are not expecting to play a detailed, seriously designed and atmospheric mod, you're expecting stupid jumpscares galore and as many memes/ridiculous shit as possible. I will say that ponies may become very common in the joke mod category, they may...but I honestly cannot see it happening, I'm sorry. I cannot see a mass amount of people hopping on Amnesia to produce pony mods in the same way people have hopped on Amnesia to produce PDP mods. It's just not plausible.

People are going to make mods for whatever they want, and one thread about how you dislike ONE specific theme is not going to stop it. I fully believe that you couldn't have stopped the PDP mods either. Do you honestly think that if you had made a thread just like this when PDP mods were just starting, you would have somehow stopped the fanbase from making them? Do you honestly think that one thread is going to stop people from making a certain mod? The sad truth is, it wont. I could make a thread right now where I complain that I dislike internet memes in mods, I mean theres only a few that actually have them, just like the ponies, just like the PDP maps at one point...can you look me straight in the face and tell me that I would be able to stop them by going off in a thread? There's no way.

Sorry to say, the content is here to stay, and really all you can do is avoid it. People are still going to make serious maps that we can all love and enjoy. No one is going to make you play the ones with ponies.

Its great fun
03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

I wonder why this thread is still going on.

03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Find
Kaizy Offline

Eh, it's the internet. This stuff goes on forever.

Its great fun
03-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Find