Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
.Lang File Help doors wont show text
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: doors wont show text

(04-21-2012, 01:42 PM)Dutton Wrote: Speaking of Categorys. I'm quite confused about them. I don't really understand if every single category you type, has to be something special to work? for example the level doors. as you said:

Quote:"If it's a level door the category name has to be "Levels" and not "LevelDoors"
Like this:
<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="Study_Door">Study</Entry>
<Entry Name="Storage_Door">Storage</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
How do you exactly know when it has to be a specific category name?
He's wrong. The Levels category is for names that displays when listing autosaves. You should be using the LevelDoors category. (No, I was wrong.) One moment and I'll check out your problem.

Edit: If your problem is fixed now, and you're just asking about what categories there are, you can find them by checking out english.lang and base_english.lang from the original Amnesia and Justine.

Here are some useful ones from my lang file comments:

// The basic category names can probably all be found in "base_english.lang" and "english.lang".
  // They all follow the same format.
  //
  // Here is a list of all the useful CATEGORY names:
  // CustomStoryMain - Needs to have an entry named "Description", containing the story description.
  // Inventory - Listed as names (ItemName_x) and descriptions (ItemDesc_x) of inventory items, where "x" is what is specified in the CustomSubItemTypeName field of the entity.
  //   Combine complaints typically also go here, and displayed with "SetInventoryMessage("Inventory", "Entry name", -1);".
  // Journal - Journal entries.
  //   Notes are listed as names ("x_Name") and contents ("x_Text").
  //   Diary entries are listed as titles ("Diary_x_Name1") and contents ("Diary_x_Text1"). The number is the entry.
  //   Quests are also listed here, as "Quest_x_Text". (Quests are added in-game with the AddQuest() function, and removed with the CompleteQuest() function.)
  //   Notes and diaries have certain format tags. The [br] tag gives a line break, and the [new_page] tag signifies a page break, but it must be listed on its own line, like so: "[br][new_page][br]"
  //   Diaries can also have voice-overs. The .ogg file must be listed on a line by itself, like this: "[br][voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0102_01.ogg][br]"
  // Messages - Not sure if this is correct, because it's not in "english.lang", but it's supposed to be messages that appear on screen (like explanations or thoughts).
  // Levels - Level names. Entries displayed when hovering the cursor over a level door, or when listing autosaves. The SetMapDisplayNameEntry script is used to set it.
  // LevelDoors - Barely used. Messages used for locked level doors.
  // Hints - Gameplay hints, but also death hints/messages. (The default death entry is called "DefaultDeath", and is "You have to carry on...".)
  // Flashbacks - Audio cutscene text. (Maybe more - didn't check.)
  // EmotionStone - Emotion stone messages.
  // LoadingText - Text during loading screens.
  // PreMenu - Text that will appear when you start the game, before the level starts.
  // Ending - The end credits. (The entry name has to be MainCredits, overwriting the original credits.)
  //
  // You can also create custom categories, to provide messages when something is viewed.

Enjoy.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 10:04 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Find
zombiehacker595 Offline

Threads: 51

(04-21-2012, 02:01 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 01:42 PM)Dutton Wrote: Speaking of Categorys. I'm quite confused about them. I don't really understand if every single category you type, has to be something special to work? for example the level doors. as you said:

Quote:"If it's a level door the category name has to be "Levels" and not "LevelDoors"
Like this:
<CATEGORY Name="Levels">
<Entry Name="Study_Door">Study</Entry>
<Entry Name="Storage_Door">Storage</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
How do you exactly know when it has to be a specific category name?
He's wrong. The Levels category is for names that displays when listing autosaves. You should be using the LevelDoors category. One moment and I'll check out your problem.

Edit: If your problem is fixed now, and you're just asking about what categories there are, you can find them by checking out english.lang and base_english.lang from the original Amnesia and Justine.

Here are some useful ones from my lang file comments:

// The basic category names can probably all be found in "base_english.lang" and "english.lang".
// They all follow the same format.
//
// Here is a list of all the useful CATEGORY names:
// CustomStoryMain - Needs to have an entry named "Description", containing the story description.
// Inventory - Listed as names (ItemName_x) and descriptions (ItemDesc_x) of inventory items, where "x" is what is specified in the CustomSubItemTypeName field of the entity.
// Combine complaints typically also go here, and displayed with "SetInventoryMessage("Inventory", "Entry name", -1);".
// Journal - Journal entries.
// Notes are listed as names ("x_Name") and contents ("x_Text").
// Diary entries are listed as titles ("Diary_x_Name1") and contents ("Diary_x_Text1"). The number is the entry.
// Quests are also listed here, as "Quest_x_Text". (Quests are added in-game with the AddQuest() function, and removed with the CompleteQuest() function.)
// Notes and diaries have certain format tags. The [br] tag gives a line break, and the [new_page] tag signifies a page break, but it must be listed on its own line, like so: "[br][new_page][br]"
// Diaries can also have voice-overs. The .ogg file must be listed on a line by itself, like this: "[br][voice Diary_CH01L03_Daniel0102_01.ogg][br]"
// Messages - Not sure if this is correct, because it's not in "english.lang", but it's supposed to be messages that appear on screen (like explanations or thoughts).
// Levels - Level names. Is displayed as the map name when listing autosaves. The SetMapDisplayNameEntry script is used to set it.
// LevelDoors -
// Hints - Gameplay hints, but also death hints/messages. (The default death entry is called "DefaultDeath", and is "You have to carry on...".)
// Flashbacks - Audio cutscene text. (Maybe more - didn't check.)
// EmotionStone - Emotion stone messages.
// LoadingText - Text during loading screens.
// PreMenu - Text that will appear when you start the game, before the level starts.
// Ending - The end credits. (The entry name has to be MainCredits, overwriting the original credits.)
//
// You can also create custom categories, to provide messages when something is viewed.

Enjoy.

thank you for the help Smile
04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

How can I be wrong when the level editor says that way?

Text Entry
"The text shown when the door is in focus. Category is always Levels"

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM by i3670.)
04-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-21-2012, 09:32 PM)i3670 Wrote: How can I be wrong when the level editor says that way?

Text Entry
"The text shown when the door is in focus. Category is always Levels"
*doublechecks.* Hmm. You're absolutely right. This is weird, because I think it was Jens from FG who told me that the Level category was only(?) used when listing autosaves.

04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Maybe there is two ways of doing, if Jens said it it must be true, if he's not wrong that is Undecided

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012, 11:48 PM by i3670.)
04-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(04-21-2012, 11:48 PM)i3670 Wrote: Maybe there is two ways of doing, if Jens said it it must be true, if he's not wrong that is Undecided
Everything indicates that I was completely wrong, so it must have been some kind of misunderstanding.

04-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Find
zombiehacker595 Offline

Threads: 51

well i figured how to fix it a while ago so it doesnt really matter Smile
04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Find