Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Eremephobia - A New Custom Story
TheIcyPickle Offline

Threads: 16
Eremephobia - A New Custom Story

[Image: moddb.png]

I would to to sort of, reveal our new CS on Frictional today. We have been working on it for about 3 months now, it shaping up nicely, but it a long way to release. I just want to get some attention for it. We are trying to go for the "classic Amnesia" feel. The feel when you were in the dungeon, when you thought every footstep you made was a bad choice, when being in the light mattered. And when theres an actual story to motivate you.

I hope this will someday live up to expectations!

(08-12-2012, 06:28 PM)TheIcyPickle Wrote: [Image: moddb.png]

I would to to sort of, reveal our new CS on Frictional today. We have been working on it for about 3 months now, it shaping up nicely, but it a long way to release. I just want to get some attention for it. We are trying to go for the "classic Amnesia" feel. The feel when you were in the dungeon, when you thought every footstep you made was a bad choice, when being in the light mattered. And when theres an actual story to motivate you.

I hope this will someday live up to expectations!
Click the little wrench icon to check it out on moddb!
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM by TheIcyPickle.)
08-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Eremephobia - A New Custom Story

Ehhh, I checked it out, including the video. It seemed kinda, lazy. The scares just seemed so alike the originals that it felt bland, and it was just one scare too! Though I suppose I shouldn't judge till I see more. Good luck, as I really do hope that you can achieve what you've set out to do.
08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Find
TheIcyPickle Offline

(08-12-2012, 06:34 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Ehhh, I checked it out, including the video. It seemed kinda, lazy. The scares just seemed so alike the originals that it felt bland, and it was just one scare too! Though I suppose I shouldn't judge till I see more. Good luck, as I really do hope that you can achieve what you've set out to do.
Thank you! And yes, I totally agree. The full CS will be much more than just that. The "teaser" wasnt meant to be flashy and say "look at my fancy shamcey editing skillz" haha

We plan for if at all possible, classic amnesia/silent hill-esc scares. (Like silent hill 2 not the new ones lol)

But thank you for at least checking it out. Once its released, Frictional will be first to know!
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Find
lolmaster Offline

Threads: 9

I've watched the video. The actual holding of a light source is a good idea. Will there be a lantern? If there is, will oil be very rare?

Really want to try this!

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM by lolmaster.)
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Find
TheIcyPickle Offline

(08-12-2012, 06:40 PM)lolmaster Wrote: I've watched the video. The actual holding of a light source is a good idea. Will there be a lantern? If there is, will oil be very rare?

Really want to try this!
There will be, at some point, it will be very rare, oil is scarce. I thought that amnesia needed a new type of tension CS lack sometimes. There are many other new gameplay elements that I cant speak of now (haha) but when a full trailer/demo/full release comes out, you will see! I just really hope the community likes it as much as me and my partner like it!
08-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Sounds like you know what needs to be done? Good. If I'm not mistaken: that video was mainly in demonstration of the light source, right? One thing you must remember is that in many custom stories all you do is move forward, down a long single path; though it might have a couple of rooms branching of in this way or that, it generally remains to it's simple nature. The campaign does not do this. Think about the way the levels worked -- usually a large central area with doors leading to complex sub-areas with which you'd need to venture.
Also the way the puzzles worked. Rather than "This door is locked, lol. Get a key!" you'd need to find parts of gizmos and recipes, or uncover a note/manuel, hinting at your next action but still up to the player to decide! It was our adventure because we would choose where to go and what to do next. So please remember that.
08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Find
TheIcyPickle Offline

(08-12-2012, 06:53 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Sounds like you know what needs to be done? Good. If I'm not mistaken: that video was mainly in demonstration of the light source, right? One thing you must remember is that in many custom stories all you do is move forward, down a long single path; though it might have a couple of rooms branching of in this way or that, it generally remains to it's simple nature. The campaign does not do this. Think about the way the levels worked -- usually a large central area with doors leading to complex sub-areas with which you'd need to venture.
Also the way the puzzles worked. Rather than "This door is locked, lol. Get a key!" you'd need to find parts of gizmos and recipes, or uncover a note/manuel, hinting at your next action but still up to the player to decide! It was our adventure because we would choose where to go and what to do next. So please remember that.
We hope to do all of what you say, and I agree. Newer CS are very linear, and are pop out fests. Like out previous one, Phengophobia. It was a test none the less, but it made us realize how much time it takes to make a CS, and we really wanted to try and make a good one that challenges the player and doesnt throw him in a go here and do this path.
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(08-12-2012, 07:00 PM)TheIcyPickle Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 06:53 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: Sounds like you know what needs to be done? Good. If I'm not mistaken: that video was mainly in demonstration of the light source, right? One thing you must remember is that in many custom stories all you do is move forward, down a long single path; though it might have a couple of rooms branching of in this way or that, it generally remains to it's simple nature. The campaign does not do this. Think about the way the levels worked -- usually a large central area with doors leading to complex sub-areas with which you'd need to venture.
We hope to do all of what you say, and I agree. Newer CS are very linear, and are pop out fests. Like out previous one, Phengophobia. It was a test none the less, but it made us realize how much time it takes to make a CS, and we really wanted to try and make a good one that challenges the player and doesnt throw him in a go here and do this path.
Yeah, their structure is the reason I measure "No lame jumpscares" with a piece of lint.
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Find