Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penumbra Monster Amnimation conversion?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Question  Penumbra Monster Amnimation conversion?

Now I know that the Penumbra Monster mechanics is different to the Amnesia ones, particularly the animation types.

Penumbra's is the same file type as their monster (.dae), while Amnesia's is (.dae_anim). Now in my early days of Amnesia, I tried simply renaming a Penumbra's 'animation' to the Amnesia's type, but it didn't work.

Since then I'd been doing practice areas for a future custom story, just simple areas then working up. Now that I'm better in area design, though still have plenty of script area questions, I'm ready for my first official custom story.

However, I want to convert the Penumbra Worm's attack and move animation to Amnesia. I know that the Infected and Dog's animations were converted to Amnesia, but I don't know how this was done nor do I have the ability to repeat this.
01-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Penumbra Monster Amnimation conversion?

I'm not an expert, but:

Open the .dae that you wish to convert in Maya (preferably 2008, more or less) and there, you have to re-skin or something like that. Then, export it as .dae and then re-name it to dae_anim.

Sorry for this little information, but it's all I know. I hope it helped.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-01-2013, 08:01 PM)The chaser Wrote: I'm not an expert, but:

Open the .dae that you wish to convert in Maya (preferably 2008, more or less) and there, you have to re-skin or something like that. Then, export it as .dae and then re-name it to dae_anim.

Sorry for this little information, but it's all I know. I hope it helped.

That would be good, except I don't have Maya (on any version or date).
01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

If I understood correctly, he just wants to use the original Rock worm and its animations in Amnesia, not bind something different to its joint hierarchy Wink So in theory you shouldn't need Maya for that... unless the .dae files were an earlier version that Amnesia's tools can't read. But I doubt it.

Quote: Now in my early days of Amnesia, I tried simply renaming a Penumbra's 'animation' to the Amnesia's type, but it didn't work.
Hm...what exactly didn't work? Did the editor crash or something? Did you try opening a .dae_anim file with the model viewer or did you try adding animations to the mesh - .dae file in the model editor and save the result as a .ent?
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

.dae_anim are simply renamed .dae files.

If the model contains the proper skeleton structure being animated in the .dae_anim it should be fine.
01-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-02-2013, 05:09 PM)Traggey Wrote: .dae_anim are simply renamed .dae files.

If the model contains the proper skeleton structure being animated in the .dae_anim it should be fine.

Good to know that it's just a rename, I also just remembered that I once asked the FG people and they said Penumbra was made in an earlier version of Maya (not sure which though).

While I have the latest Blender, something is wrong with my import/exprt .dae files option.

The worm still has its skeleton, at least when I import one of its 'animations'.

EDIT: I just tried putting animations on the worm, and the editor says it couldn't save them due to 'blank fields'.
No idea what to do next.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM by The Rock Worm.)
01-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

They used Maya 2008.

It can't save due to blank fields because you left blank fields during the import, you need to fill out a name and proper settings for the animation otherwise you can't use it for anything.
01-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-03-2013, 04:00 AM)Traggey Wrote: They used Maya 2008.

It can't save due to blank fields because you left blank fields during the import, you need to fill out a name and proper settings for the animation otherwise you can't use it for anything.

Maybe I will look at the Amnesia Brute/Grunt as a point of comparison.
01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Find