Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam for Linux amd64 [SOLVED]
xinouch Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Steam for Linux amd64 [SOLVED]

Hello!

I just install Amnesia in Steam on Debian Sid amd64. It seems your script "run_steam.sh" doesn't function correctly: a part of the script is commented, so the game will never be launched in 64 bits. I modified it like that:

#!/bin/bash

#  Steam claims they are going to put us in the app directory.

if [ $(uname -m) == "x86_64" ]; then
    ./checklibs.sh libs64 Amnesia.bin64
    ./Launcher.bin64
else
    ./checklibs.sh libs Amnesia.bin
    ./Launcher.bin
fi

the command "uname -m" exists on all linux distributions (whereas "arch" is not), so it should work for all linux distributions Wink

I also had to move the .so files from libs64/all/ in libs64/

Otherwise, I'm impressed to see how well the game runs on Linux! It seems to be as good as on windows.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM by xinouch.)
01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Steam for Linux amd64 [SOLVED]

(01-18-2013, 11:00 AM)xinouch Wrote: Hello!

I just install Amnesia in Steam on Debian Sid amd64. It seems your script "run_steam.sh" doesn't function correctly: a part of the script is commented, so the game will never be launched in 64 bits. I modified it like that:

#!/bin/bash

#  Steam claims they are going to put us in the app directory.

if [ $(uname -m) == "x86_64" ]; then
    ./checklibs.sh libs64 Amnesia.bin64
    ./Launcher.bin64
else
    ./checklibs.sh libs Amnesia.bin
    ./Launcher.bin
fi

the command "uname -m" exists on all linux distributions (whereas "arch" is not), so it should work for all linux distributions Wink

I also had to move the .so files from libs64/all/ in libs64/

Otherwise, I'm impressed to see how well the game runs on Linux! It seems to be as good as on windows.
Seems nice for those running linux.
The reason it runs just as good as on windows is because of the use of the OpenGL engine which works wel with linux compared to DX also the new drivers from nvidia(if you have a nvidia card ofc might have helped)
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

The reason the 64bit pieces are commented out is due to steam being 32bit only. and it is not fully reliable running 64bit apps through steam.. (numerous reports of "issues". so yes, it was intentionally commented out, but I provided the 64bit binaries anyways.

Also, it seems odd that arch wouldn't be on all linux distros, it's part of the same package that contains uname, coreutils..

What linux distro are you running that doesn't have arch? (As I'm really curious)

Also I'm modifying the script to check for a file named "i_want_64" that you can touch to enable 64bit on your system. and also modifying it to allow launch options to be passed to amnesia (e.g. for mods)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM by Urkle.)
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Website Find
xinouch Offline

Threads: 1

for "arch", I said what I heard, but I didn't checked (on Debian, it exists of course ^^).

I didn't know there were some issues launching the 64 bits version from steam (32 bits). I'll may launch the game directly from its binaries in the future.

ok for the file "i_want_64", it's a good and simple solution Wink

thank you!
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Find