Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

more praise for Black Plague
blau Offline

Threads: 3
more praise for Black Plague

I just finished Penumbra Black Plague: what a great, beautyful game!

It is definitely more mature and refined than Penumbra Overture, challenging although not overly difficult, long and interesting.

The best part, which I will remember this game for, is the visual art of the dream scenes and of the afterlife (or paradise) scenes. The final walk into the white flowers is a touch of artistic genius. The fluo gore of the dream scenes remind me of nights spent in some squat club listening to experimental music.

The whole schizofrenia with Clarence is well executed, very accomplished actorwise.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM by blau.)
02-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Find
restlessdreams Offline

Threads: 0
RE: more praise for Black Plague

I loved Black Plague. It really had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. It even competes against Amnesia for my favorite, although they are both really good in different ways, so it's not easy to compare. I most definitely found Black Plague to be saturated with more scares, though.
02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(02-14-2013, 10:35 PM)blau Wrote: The whole schizofrenia with Clarence is well executed, very accomplished actorwise.

It's not schizofrenia, it's dissociative identity disorder.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Find
Minecrawler Offline
Banned

Threads: 0

Penumbra Overture is by far the better experience at all.

- More trickier puzzles.
- Better story.
- Longer gameplay.
- No Clarence talking.
- No mental realms.

Puzzles in Overture are by far more thoughtful, the only hard puzzle in Black Plague was the computer room. The story also was better because more realistic. In Black Plague it turns into a visual dream world and that breaks down the immersion. I don't like fictive worlds in games, because it's not plausible. Seems more like "just a game".
And Clarence really sucks when talking all the time, that doesn't feel you alone. I like Red in Overture, but all the other people really sucks.

If you ask me, Penumbra Overture was the best game Frictional ever created. It doesn't feel like a "game" it feels more like a earnestly experience.
02-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Find