Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Puzzles, what are they good for?
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Puzzles, what are they good for?

(03-27-2013, 07:40 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 07:31 PM)Deep One Wrote: Those are cleverly designed, but too hard for me (I don't want to exit the game every 10 minutes to check the answer). Penumbra puzzles are just perfect IMO

Silent Hill puzzles are also too hard for me, but I enjoy it.
I like hard puzzles, that challenge my brain.

Penumbra puzzles are good. But Amnesia is too easy in 80% of all puzzles.

The problem is when the puzzles make no logical sense in the game. When I come across a puzzle in Penumbra/Amnesia, for example turning on the generator near the beginning of Overture, you have a logical reason to do it. Even if you didn't know what you needed the power for specifically (you would most likely find out when getting the fuse), you know what solving the puzzle accomplishes and why you need to do it.

In Silent Hill, when I come across a weird piano with bloodstains on the keys and the game transparently tells me to solve the puzzle, I just get frustrated, plus the school is pretty freaking scary so it didn't take much motivation to take a break, which unfortunately turned out to be indefinite.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 03:04 AM by Bridge.)
03-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

The puzzles in Penumbra/Amnesia are logic?
Penumbra Requiem is completely unlogic, the mental realm & ending part of Black Plague also. Amnesia has too much "simple" puzzles that most of them are logic by default, but all the way is unlogic (watermonster, the shadow, flying Alexander etc.)

You should know that Horror games are between reality and psychological minds. In a mental world everything could be true. In Silent Hill you don't know what's real and what not. But the puzzles are almost logic, because someone could mount a code lock with hidden secrets in the environment or as a poem with corpses and numbers. This is not there because to break the flow, it's there because someone wanted to protect something and did not want you solving the mystery.

I never thought the puzzles were unlogic, in contrary. Most of them have todo with repairing an elevator, find a way in etc.

The piano puzzle is unlogic, that's right. But nevertheless one of the best puzzles in a video game. To hide secrets in a poem is always interesting.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 05:17 PM by Googolplex.)
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(03-28-2013, 05:16 PM)Googolplex Wrote: The puzzles in Penumbra/Amnesia are logic?
Penumbra Requiem is completely unlogic, the mental realm & ending part of Black Plague also. Amnesia has too much "simple" puzzles that most of them are logic by default, but all the way is unlogic (watermonster, the shadow, flying Alexander etc.)

You should know that Horror games are between reality and psychological minds. In a mental world everything could be true. In Silent Hill you don't know what's real and what not. But the puzzles are almost logic, because someone could mount a code lock with hidden secrets in the environment or as a poem with corpses and numbers. This is not there because to break the flow, it's there because someone wanted to protect something and did not want you solving the mystery.

I never thought the puzzles were unlogic, in contrary. Most of them have todo with repairing an elevator, find a way in etc.

The piano puzzle is unlogic, that's right. But nevertheless one of the best puzzles in a video game. To hide secrets in a poem is always interesting.

OMG SILENT HILL SUCKS ASS IT'S NOT REALISTIC, MONSTERS ARE NOT PLAUSIBLE BECAUSE THERE'S ACTUALLY NO MONSTERS IN REAL LIFE OMG HOW CAN ANYONE PLAY CRAP LIKE THIS
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Thank you Deep One.
03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

ewhasdfjsdgklh-l...

no sense to talk with you.
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Same to you, my friend! =]
03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(03-28-2013, 06:23 PM)Googolplex Wrote: ewhasdfjsdgklh-l...

I used your own logic against you.
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Dude he literally reworded something you pretty much exactly said and just swapped out the game.

Posting Freak
03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

The puzzles in Amnesia aren't there for artificial difficulty, they are a pacing and storytelling device. You always know where you are supposed to go and what you are supposed to do, and the real difficulty is actually doing it. Not figuring out abstract puzzles that make no sense. Still, having difficult puzzles is not a bad thing if they make sense, especially if they are near the end of the game.

Also, why would you bring up Penumbra: Requiem when we're talking about logical puzzles? Of course they are illogical as Requiem takes place entirely in Phillip's mind (supposedly). That doesn't mean that almost all of the other puzzles in Overture and Black Plague are fair and logical, even if some of them are difficult.
03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Man, how logic it is!

I rate it 3 memes.
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Find