Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model exporting
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Model exporting

You still need a .mat file created through the material editor, and your textures should be in .dds format, also make sure that when you're exporting the model from your software the material shader needs to point to your .dds textures already located within the amnesia directory, so you must place the textures in there first.
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(04-02-2013, 03:57 PM)Traggey Wrote: You still need a .mat file created through the material editor, and your textures should be in .dds format, also make sure that when you're exporting the model from your software the material shader needs to point to your .dds textures already located within the amnesia directory, so you must place the textures in there first.

Yeah... I'll go learn a bit more before already exporting everything.. Thanks for the help though!
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-02-2013, 03:57 PM)Traggey Wrote: You still need a .mat file created through the material editor, and your textures should be in .dds format, also make sure that when you're exporting the model from your software the material shader needs to point to your .dds textures already located within the amnesia directory, so you must place the textures in there first.

false, if you have a texture assigned properly to your model when its exported then a .mat with the same name as the texture, willl be created automatically when you load it in the model viewer. I very rarely create .mats before exporting.
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

1. Model must be "Triangulated" - this can be done in maya or as an option upon export.
2. Model must be .dae, preferably exported with openCollada.
3. Each mesh may only have one UV map assigned to it (one texture). If you want several textures for one model export several meshes in one export.
4. Textures should be in .dds format.
5. Textures should be 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024 or 2048x2048.
6. The name of the diffuse texture referenced to in your modeling software should have the same name as the diffuse texture placed in your amnesia folder. That will allow modelview to automatically create a .mat file for you.
7. The pivot point of the model should be at 0,0,0 upon export - otherwise the scaling might turn up odd.

.mat = tells amnesia which textures to use for the model
.dae = the model
.dds = your texture files
.tga = can be used for transparency

DDS should be saved in dxt3 or dxt5. Normal maps can be saved in 3dc - as that format is preferred. Also, always "create mipmaps" on saving a dds.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-02-2013, 06:33 PM)Acies Wrote: 1. Model must be "Triangulated" - this can be done in maya or as an option upon export.
3. Each mesh may only have one UV map assigned to it (one texture). If you want several textures for one model export several meshes in one export.
6. The name of the diffuse texture referenced to in your modeling software should have the same name as the diffuse texture placed in your amnesia folder. That will allow modelview to automatically create a .mat file for you.
7. The pivot point of the model should be at 0,0,0 upon export - otherwise the scaling might turn up odd.

.dae = the model

DDS should be saved in dxt3 or dxt5. Normal maps can be saved in 3dc - as that format is preferred. Also, always "create mipmaps" on saving a dds.

Okay, you guys should stop talking like you're talking to someone who understands any of this.. Like I already said, I'm as stupid as an donkey's ass. Just tell me what buttons I have to press and I'll remember them. I'm still learning so I'll figure out what they do later.
I do appreciate it, but I just don't understand.. I'm sorry you guys have to put up with my stupidity :S
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-02-2013, 06:54 PM)Smoke Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 06:33 PM)Acies Wrote: 1. Model must be "Triangulated" - this can be done in maya or as an option upon export.

.dae = the model

Okay, you guys should stop talking like you're talking to someone who understands any of this.. Like I already said, I'm as stupid as an donkey's ass. Just tell me what buttons I have to press and I'll remember them. I'm still learning so I'll figure out what they do later.
I do appreciate it, but I just don't understand.. I'm sorry you guys have to put up with my stupidity :S
Triangulated= the faces of your model has been converted into triangels

openCollada= A plugin for maya that allows you to export models in collada format, the file extension is .dae

UV map=In order to texture you model it must be folded out flat in 2d space(which uses UV axis, instead of XY). the folded out version of your model is called the UV map. There are simple alternatives to UV maps, but only models with UV maps will work with amnesia. models in maya has basic UV maps by default as far as I know though it might get messy if you dont edit them.

Mesh= a type of 3d object made of components called faces,edges and vertices.

.dds format= the primary image format used by amnesia.
.png,.jpg and .tga is also supported

diffuse texture = the texture that contains the color of you model. its required for you model to work, while additions such as specular maps and normal maps are optional.

maps= slang for texture or image

Pivot point= the point that manipulators appear at, such as fx the arrow you use to move scale and rotate the model. in some software it is also known as the anchor or origin.

mipmaps= smaller versions of the texture stored within the texture it self. When you move farther or closer to the model the texture applied to it will swap between the different resolutions/mip maps.
This increases performance and also removes an odd effect you get when looking at high-res textures from afar.
mip-maps for amnesia are only supported if you use the .dds format.
.png,.jpg and .tga does therefore not support mip-maps.

Dxt3/Dxt5= 2 ways to compress a .dds. dont worry about the details on this just know that when you export something as a .dds you will have the option to choose between different compressions and you should choose one of the 2 previously mentioned.

after having all these terms explained you should be able to understand most of what we're saying. otherwise I think you might need some more training in 3d graphics and related before diving into this imo.
04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

I definitely need more training at 3D sculpting, but this'll work. Thanks!

Okay, it really really worked. Thanks again. But how do I compress the .dds file. Do I just make a UV snapshot in .dds format? I figured that was too easy, but I couldn't find another button which said: Compress to .dds.

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 190.28 KB / Downloads: 127)
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Okay I give up. I've been looking for a solution for 3 days straight and I just don't understand the frickin' program! Sigh... Well thanks guys, I'll keep messing around with maya trying to understand it, but I'm done for now. Thanks for the help!
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: Okay, it really really worked. Thanks again. But how do I compress the .dds file. Do I just make a UV snapshot in .dds format? I figured that was too easy, but I couldn't find another button which said:Compress to .dds.
Nah, dds has nothing to do with Maya. Smile It's an image format and Maya can't convert images. You can convert an image file to a .dds with photoshop instead - just click "save as" and select .dds. If you can't find the format, your photoshop is lacking the required plugin. (if you don't have photoshop, you can also send me your texture and I convert it)

But like martinnord said, a tga, png or jpg should work, too. dds is just the best texture format for games, because it supports mipmaps (to avoid moiré-artifacts when viewing the texture from a distance) and is good for performance.

The uv snapshot function is just there to give you a reference image that you can use to create your texture. It simply shows your uv layout, so you can make the texture fit to the UVs in Photoshop.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-03-2013, 04:53 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: Okay, it really really worked. Thanks again. But how do I compress the .dds file. Do I just make a UV snapshot in .dds format? I figured that was too easy, but I couldn't find another button which said:Compress to .dds.
Nah, dds has nothing to do with Maya. Smile It's an image format and Maya can't convert images. You can convert an image file to a .dds with photoshop instead - just click "save as" and select .dds. If you can't find the format, your photoshop is lacking the required plugin.
But like martinnord said, a tga, png or jpg should work, too. dds is just the best texture format for games, because it supports mipmaps (to avoid moiré-artifacts when viewing the texture from a distance) and is good for performance.

The uv snapshot function is just there to give you a reference image that you can use to create your texture. It simply shows your uv layout, so you can make the texture fit to the UVs in Photoshop.

Ah okay, thanks! But what do I have to put in the .dds (or .jpg, etc.) folder? I know the textures, but I have several. Do I just have to make several? another stupid question

And is there a way to get photoshop for free? I'm not going to pay 900 dollars :S
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Find