Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Smoke's models
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
Smoke's models

Hey there,

I've just started modeling and well.. I love it! I've made some basic models for you, I hope you like it!

I'm also taking requests because I don't really know what you guys need.. Don't think they're the best, but I'll give it a shot. Also, don't ask me to create a amazing giant statue or something, because I just started Tongue

Spoiler below!
[Image: 8sJpODu.png]

Link

Spoiler below!
[Image: eWwdX3U.png]

Link

Please, let me know what you think!
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM by OriginalUsername.)
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Smoke's models (Taking requests)

Keep working : ] You need to take heed of "texture stretching" though.

Download this:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/1245...erence.jpg

Apply it to your material called lambert 1. That way all "new geometry" you create will have this material assigned to it as well.

Then as you create your UVs, make sure the "squares" are "square-shaped" (equal lenght on their sides). You can also try to have them of approximately equal size all across the model.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Okay thanks, that'll help a lot Tongue

Quick question, is it possible to make an ao map and an specular map in gimp? I haven't found any way to do so yet..
04-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Sure you can! Well, seeing as you're a maya user, you'd render out an AO map from Maya itself, google it, you'll find all the info you'll need! - Creating an Ambient Occlusion map in maya

A specular map is something you can create in any image editing software, basicly what you'll want to do is to make a black and white verision of your texture ( Specular maps can be coloured aswell but lets start simple with a black and white one ) Now you're going to want to make every area on your texture that you want to be shiny, white. And all the areas that won't be shiny, black. Grey for somewhere in between, the more white the image is, the more shiny it will be. Hope that helps!
04-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2013, 01:19 PM)Traggey Wrote: Sure you can! Well, seeing as you're a maya user, you'd render out an AO map from Maya itself, google it, you'll find all the info you'll need! - Creating an Ambient Occlusion map in maya

A specular map is something you can create in any image editing software, basicly what you'll want to do is to make a black and white verision of your texture ( Specular maps can be coloured aswell but lets start simple with a black and white one ) Now you're going to want to make every area on your texture that you want to be shiny, white. And all the areas that won't be shiny, black. Grey for somewhere in between, the more white the image is, the more shiny it will be. Hope that helps!

So I just have to take an brush tool and paint everything black or white? And won't it ruin the texture?
04-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

A Cactus.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(04-07-2013, 01:20 PM)Smoke Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 01:19 PM)Traggey Wrote: Sure you can! Well, seeing as you're a maya user, you'd render out an AO map from Maya itself, google it, you'll find all the info you'll need! - Creating an Ambient Occlusion map in maya

So I just have to take an brush tool and paint everything black or white? And won't it ruin the texture?

No it won't ruin the texture, you save it out as a seperate file, you just want to make sure to use the same UV layout so that you can paint the correct objects white/black/gray/whatever
04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

So all I have to do is copy the picture, paint it white/grey/black and name it... How?
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Have a look at this picture right here! Top right is the diffuse map, under that you can see the specular map for the guitar, the metal parts are completely white to give off as much shine as possible, whilst the wood is more of a gray tone because wood doesn't shine quite as much!

I usually set up my naming conventions this way.

examplename_diff.dds <- Diffuse maps
examplename_spec.dds <- Specular maps
examplename_nrm.dds <- Normal maps
[Image: guitar_texturemaps.jpg]

More examples!

[Image: StoneSkin_TextureMaps.jpg]

[Image: boom_minitutor.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM by Traggey.)
04-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Aha, thank you so much! I'll try this right away Wink
04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Find