Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPL Level Editor start "lagging"
gruzz Offline

Threads: 24
HPL Level Editor start "lagging"

Hello everyone!

How am i going to explane this... The level Editor has the lately started to crash, and also it's really "lagging" when i rotate or drag the mouse around in the editor.. If you think like it's loading sometimes, expect it doesn't! It's like the editor crashes when i place out to many things and doesn't save it.

Any help for this? maybe delete some folder to make it better? Smile

/ Daniel
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2013, 05:21 PM by gruzz.)
06-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: HPL Level Editor start "lagging"

I had this happen all the time and had to get into the habit of saving every 6 seconds. Try turning some options off like rendering lights and whatnot, that helped me a little. I bought a new video card and now I never have issues to maybe you could try that if you have the cash.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

That depends on the level. If you aren't looking at all the stuff, it goes fine, if you are, it will lag a bit.
Not a problem if you toggle culling fog while in the development, or using clip planes.

Culling is not rendering the objects that the player doesn't see, to increase performance. You can activate the level fog, and toggle "Culling". That will hide the zone covered by the fog, making you unable to see it and therefore increasing performance. If your level doesn't have fog, just make it with culling fog and then, when the level is done, disactivate it.

If it's a really big map, you can use clip planes (At the bottom, at the center).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
gruzz Offline

Threads: 24

(06-30-2013, 11:19 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: I had this happen all the time and had to get into the habit of saving every 6 seconds. Try turning some options off like rendering lights and whatnot, that helped me a little. I bought a new video card and now I never have issues to maybe you could try that if you have the cash.
I recently just bought a new graphic card, so it will take a good while before i buy another one i think.. (This is not an option, that's what i'm trying to say)

(06-30-2013, 11:31 PM)The chaser Wrote: That depends on the level. If you aren't looking at all the stuff, it goes fine, if you are, it will lag a bit.

Not a problem if you toggle culling fog while in the development, or using clip planes.

Culling is not rendering the objects that the player doesn't see, to increase performance. You can activate the level fog, and toggle "Culling". That will hide the zone covered by the fog, making you unable to see it and therefore increasing performance. If your level doesn't have fog, just make it with culling fog and then, when the level is done, disactivate it.

If it's a really big map, you can use clip planes (At the bottom, at the center).
Can you explain the Culling a bit better.. ? didn't quite get it.
06-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(06-30-2013, 11:45 PM)gruzzniotre Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 11:19 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: I had this happen all the time and had to get into the habit of saving every 6 seconds. Try turning some options off like rendering lights and whatnot, that helped me a little. I bought a new video card and now I never have issues to maybe you could try that if you have the cash.
I recently just bought a new graphic card, so it will take a good while before i buy another one i think.. (This is not an option, that's what i'm trying to say)

(06-30-2013, 11:31 PM)The chaser Wrote: That depends on the level. If you aren't looking at all the stuff, it goes fine, if you are, it will lag a bit.

Can you explain the Culling a bit better.. ? didn't quite get it.

Culling is simply not showing what you can't see, a common technique to increase performance in computers. If you are in an area very distant to another one, and you can't see that one, it's useless to show the objects in that area, as it just consumes performance without an actual use.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Find