Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: AMFP without TDD is:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Better
46.75%
36 46.75%
Worse
12.99%
10 12.99%
No different
40.26%
31 40.26%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2
If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?

The idea is how would tou feel about AMFP if you didn't have TDD to compare, as a standalone game on it's own. it's a diffrent game with diffrent characters and story and mechanics and was made by a diffrent company, if you severe connections to TDD, is it better or worse?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 11:23 AM by EnDash.)
09-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Find
Vertical Offline

Threads: 1
RE: If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?

Maybe you could add the 3rd, less bipolar option? "No different" - in my case.
09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Find
EnDash Offline

how do i edit the pool lol
09-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-13-2013, 11:24 AM)EnDash Wrote: how do i edit the pool lol

Done Smile

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

Voted for no different. I would still think, that AMFP has the better story and atmosphere, while TDD contains the better scares. The story in a game is for me personal of vital importance and that's why I like AMFP more.
09-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I think it would have been generally more well-received had it been released first, or at least without any attachment to TDD. I think it's interesting to think of how well TDD would have been received had it come second. Would the addition of a sanity meter, tinderboxes, oil, etc., have been lamented or lauded had AAMFP already been a well-loved game?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 12:58 PM by Paddy™.)
09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

To be honest, I'd probably like it less. It is the interesting and daring experimentation in light of FG's values that has sustained my appreciation for AAMFP so far. Smile Had it come first, I probably wouldn't have payed much attention to it.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

I agree with Paddy. The better graphics, physics engine, insanity-system and other additions would have made players feel it more as a true sequel.
I know I know, "it's a storytelling, that's why many features are gone", but to me that's just an excuse to cash in. It's a game, not a movie, it needs gameplay Rolleyes I played for 2 hours and all I did for now is walk around and pull levers and read some notes, and VERY simply puzzles like putting gas in a truck etc.. No hiding, no exploring. Sad
Everything you need to do is so simple, a hand icon appears when you touch a puzzle item.
09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-12-2013, 04:41 PM)Ossie Wrote: I've always thought that it would be interesting to reverse the situation - let's say that A Machine For Pigs was the game that was released 3 years ago and The Dark Descent was the new release. I'm sure that there would be criticisms of that too when the two were compared. I can imagine people complaing about the following in TDD compared to the game that they were used to, AAMFP:

a) "There's now an inventory system which is annoying to use"
b) "Why is it necessary to refill the oil lantern every few minutes? This is so unrealistic and annoying!"
c) "Why do I need to keep hunting for tinderboxes to light torches and candles? It really breaks the immersion! Who has ever heard of a single use tinderbox?"
d) "There's far too many monster encounters and jump scares"
e) "The story and writing isn't anywhere near as good as the one in AAMFP"
f) "The voice acting is very average compared to the excellent voice acting in AAMFP"

Ultimately it all comes down to what you're used to and your expectations and personal preferences. I feel kind of sorry for those that don't like AAMFP but they don't do their 'cause' any favors with their (mostly) immature bitching and whining (and most of this bitching and whining simply highlights that they didn't play the game 'properly', hadn't read all of the notes, hadn't bothered to even TRY and immerse themselves in it, etc).

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Find
Dash213 Offline

(09-13-2013, 12:10 PM)cantremember Wrote: I agree with Paddy. The better graphics, physics engine, insanity-system and other additions would have made players feel it more as a true sequel.
I know I know, "it's a storytelling, that's why many features are gone", but to me that's just an excuse to cash in. It's a game, not a movie, it needs gameplay Rolleyes I played for 2 hours and all I did for now is walk around and pull levers and read some notes, and VERY simply puzzles like putting gas in a truck etc.. No hiding, no exploring. Sad
Everything you need to do is so simple, a hand icon appears when you touch a puzzle item.

i think thats the problem, people think it's a sequel to TDD, like it's directly following it. AMFP is completly diffrent in my opinion and shouldn't be compared to TDD or acted as a sequel to it. if it was a new Chinese Room game with not relation TDD it would have been received far better.
09-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Find