Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac OS X Mavericks Problems (Editors)
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Mac OS X Mavericks Problems (Editors)

Alright, so I recently updated my operating system to the latest Mac OS X 10.9, namely Mavericks, and so I found a couple of things from Mountain Lion incompatible. One of these things which I have not managed to get an update for and fix, is the Amnesia Editors. All of them. There seems to be something in this OS that causes them to crash on startup, or rather prevent startup. The game works fine though.

Whenever I try to open any of the editors, I am greeted with this message:

[Image: hpl2error1.png]

FATAL ERROR: Could not load vertex buffer from mesh 'core_box.dae'

Now, I thought perhaps a reinstall would work, but unless absolutely necessary, I'd rather not due to many customised files. Another thing that makes me believe a reinstall will not work is the log.

I went to /Frictional Games/HPL2 and took a look at the LevelEditor.log file. Since all editors crash with the same message, I just looked at that one and found this:

ERROR: Couldn't find test file '_test_array_support_frag.glsl' in resources
ATTENTION: System does not support const arrays in glsl!
ERROR: Couldn't find file 'deferred_base_vtx.glsl' in resources
ERROR: Could not load material 'Deferred' shader 'deferred_base_vtx.glsl'
ERROR: Couldn't load mesh 'core_box.dae'
FATAL ERROR: Could not load vertex buffer from mesh 'core_box.dae'

The second line makes me believe there are some compatibility issues with the OS. So I'm rendered helpless here for now I believe, unless I install the game and editors on my Windows partition. If anyone are considering updating their OS to 10.9, I strongly suggest waiting for the 10.9.1 patch to avoid at least a few issues.

So I suppose I can do nothing else than wait for Frictional to release an update as a compatibility patch or something. Of course if anyone else has encountered this and found a workaround, please do tell me =)

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM by Mudbill.)
10-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Find
jossa Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Mac OS X Mavericks Problems (Editors)

Even though the topic talks about editors in particular, I guess no one minds me adding that Black Plague also stopped working after the Mavericks update: when trying to launch the screen flashes and the game boots immediately back to desktop. Just to let you know.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM by jossa.)
10-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Just posting to update my status.

It still doesn't seem like this has been fixed. I downgraded back to 10.8 not long after I posted this. It was painful but worked. This issue should still be fixed as soon as possible though. More and more Mac users are now using Mavericks and the Macs are also being shipped with it. I hope Frictional Games is at least aware of this.

01-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

If you actually browse around this forum section you'll notice that frictional is very well aware of this issue and that there are work-arounds.
01-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

(01-19-2014, 11:52 PM)Traggey Wrote: If you actually browse around this forum section you'll notice that frictional is very well aware of this issue and that there are work-arounds.
Yes, I thought I remembered them commenting on it some time after I posted this thread, but wasn't certain. They mentioned a January release. Unsure whether that is still relevant or delayed.

And as for work-arounds, as far as I've seen there are none for the editors, which this thread is about. I had no problems with the game itself, but apparently many did. There are work-arounds for that, but if you know of any editor ones, could you direct me? Not that it's relevant for me anymore, but it could be useful to know as well as for anyone stumbling upon it.

01-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Find
Unregistered

Hello everyone, same problem here ever since I downloaded Mavericks to my Macbook Pro. I have found one way to use the editors even though it gives me also the fatal error. I simply keep the Hpl2 Editor files on my desktop and every time before I open it, I delete old editor files from my Amnesia The Dark Descent folder and copy the new ones. This way it works but you have to do it every time you want to use it.
Hope this helps even a little bit before this issue gets fixed.
06-07-2014, 05:47 PM