Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to play on OS X Mavericks 10.9.x "Could not load main_init....."
Tanner1294 Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How to play on OS X Mavericks 10.9.x "Could not load main_init....."

(12-11-2013, 08:09 AM)jens Wrote: This might work, replacing the penumbra stuff with amnesia
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-24084.html

That thread just brought to mind what might actually be the problem... I'll be testing theories when I get home!
12-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
TheBuggman Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How to play on OS X Mavericks 10.9.x "Could not load main_init....."

So I just tried Amnesia today after installing the Adobe Flash update and upgrading to 10.9.1. I don't know if they updated Amnesia on Steam without my knowledge as well, but something seems to have given in and the game works perfectly for me now! Anyone who's made the same updates recently should check it out.
12-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Find
WaterMinecraft Offline

Threads: 1

(12-18-2013, 09:54 PM)TheBuggman Wrote: So I just tried Amnesia today after installing the Adobe Flash update and upgrading to 10.9.1. I don't know if they updated Amnesia on Steam without my knowledge as well, but something seems to have given in and the game works perfectly for me now! Anyone who's made the same updates recently should check it out.

You said you updated to 10.9.1 (Check), I went to the Adobe Flash Player website and downloaded that, but is that what you were referring to? http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

I completed that and downloaded the most recent one... And then you said you updated Steam? (: How do you do that?
12-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
WaterMinecraft Offline

Threads: 1

It just updated! Works perfectly!! First time playing through!
12-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Find
ZoonieXL5 Offline

Threads: 0

Hi,
I am still having the start problem with Amnesia "Could not load ..." - Mavericks 10.9.1
I tried the fix above and this gave the same error, also tried
1. Re-installing Amnesia
2. copying the config folder across into

/Applications/Games/Amnesia.app/Contents/Resources/Amnesia.app/Contents/MacOS/Resources

Also having start issues with Penumbra part 1 (part2 & 3 run ok) - although, this asked me to re-enter my serial key, the screen then blacked out before the closing the app
12-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Find
Carnage101118 Offline

(11-27-2013, 02:21 AM)Tanner1294 Wrote: I'm gonna be short and sweet about this. This ain't gonna be pretty....

Go to your Amnesia.app and right-click, choose "Show Package Contents".

Navigate to Contents > Resources.

Once in the Resources folder, go to the terminal window and type "cd " (include the space, no quotes)

At the top of the finder window you can click and hold the folder icon in the titlebar, then drag the folder icon into the terminal window so it will place the path to the Resources folder in front of the "cd ". Hit Return.

In the Resources folder you'll see yet another Amnesia.app with the icon and everything. Right-click this one and choose "show package contents".

Navigate to Contents > MacOS

Drag the single file "Amnesia" into the Terminal window and hit Return.

Amnesia should now open (it may ask for a serial if this is the first run).

I've read somewhere that the cause of the problem is that the Amnesia game is trying to run using the wrong directory, hence why it can't find and load it's config files. This trick also works very similarly with the Penumbra games for Mac as well except for Black Plague there's a BlackPlague file instead of another .app.

By no means is this a permanent fix but at least you can run the game on Mavericks! Heart

When i did this my game worked fine and all until i closed the game down when i came again to play the game it wasnt opening any more and i redid the steps and it worked again until i came to play once more after i closed it am i gonna have to keep editing the terminal every time i play??
12-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Find
stratovox85 Offline

damm, doesnt work for me, still the same error.

i downloaded it from the app store, does it make a difference?
01-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Find
Rocky26 Offline

Hi guys I downloaded this game from steam i tried the terminal trick and a sudo open and I still get the same message... Is there another way? Please help I'd hate to not be able to play this game. I run a MacBook Pro on Mavericks My specs are as follows...

PROCESSOR: 2.6 GHz Intel Quad Core i7

MEMORY: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

SOFTWARE: OS X 10.9.1

I hope this helps out some. I'm dying to play this game.
01-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Find
Turboback90 Offline

(01-24-2014, 01:41 AM)Rocky26 Wrote: Hi guys I downloaded this game from steam i tried the terminal trick and a sudo open and I still get the same message... Is there another way? Please help I'd hate to not be able to play this game. I run a MacBook Pro on Mavericks My specs are as follows...

PROCESSOR: 2.6 GHz Intel Quad Core i7

MEMORY: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

SOFTWARE: OS X 10.9.1

I hope this helps out some. I'm dying to play this game.

Me too.

help pls
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Find
tikloc
Unregistered

Hey,

I bought a new MacBook Pro Retina last week and have been dying to play through the Amnesia games again. I too had the main_init.cfg error, hence why I'm here. The fix in the OP worked, which I'm highly thankful for. I compiled a simple terminal script that executes the commands to get the game running with a single click, so I thought I'd share it.

Here's the link to download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?g52qx51xn2a5tzw

Here's the source:
cd /Applications/Amnesia.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/Amnesia.app/Contents/Resources/Amnesia.app/Contents/MacOS/Amnesia

Enjoy.
05-28-2014, 11:21 AM