Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Amnesia Multiplayer (Cringe as you may.)
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia Multiplayer (Cringe as you may.)

I'm just curious how do you imagine representing player characters
12-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

Threads: 4

(12-22-2013, 08:43 PM)Traggey Wrote: Surely I've read this before posting.

It's been discussed countless times, there are tons of threads to find on this subject in the archives.

It's not going to happen.

The issue isn't design choises, the issue is that without the source, this will NOT be doable with HPL2.

This is what I brought up in my point too. The SA-MP (San Andreas Multiplayer) and the JCMP (Just Cause 2 Multiplayer) team did NOT have access to source. They somehow were able to implement multiplayer in these games without source. I would have not posted this thread if it were not for the existence of these. Thanks for the reply!

[Image: header.png]
12-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Funny thing here actually, I know a big part of the Avalanche development team whom made the Just Cause games though my games education in stockholm.

I've been discussing these things with THEM, and trust me, comparing their engine to HPL2 is something you just can not do.

The engine used for Just Cause 2 is the same one which they later built Renegade Ops with, which features Multiplayer.

This comparison is not something that should be made.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM by Traggey.)
12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 08:53 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: I'm just curious how do you imagine representing player characters

It's hard to say. The player (Daniel) is actually "modeled" through the game.cfg. Here are the tags at which it lies within:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<Player_Body

Mass 
"70"

Size "0.8 1.8 0.8"

CrouchSize "0.8 1.2 0.8"

GravityForce "0 -20 0"

CameraPosAdd "0 -0.05 0"

CameraSmoothPosNum "10"

AccurateClimbing "true"

MaxNoSlideSlopeAngle "45"

MaxPushMass "10"

PushForce "55"

CharacterMaxPushMass "15"

CharacterPushForce "100"

MaxStepSize "0.4"

MaxStepSizeInAir "0.1"

StepClimbSpeed "5.0"

/> 

But, if somehow I found out how to attach a model to the physical player. It would probably be a model you have already seen in Amnesia. (Ex: Grunt, Brute, Alexander, Agrippa...) Just to save the time it would take to make a actual player model. But (probably not) come a day if Amnesia multiplayer become a thing I would most likely become a actual "human" model. No longer a grunt put there a a placeholder. Tongue

(12-22-2013, 09:03 PM)Traggey Wrote: Funny thing here actually, I know a big part of the Avalanche development team whom made the Just Cause games though my games education in stockholm.

I've been discussing these things with THEM, and trust me, comparing their engine to HPL2 is something you just can not do.

The engine used for Just Cause 2 is the same one which they later built Renegade Ops with, which features Multiplayer.

This comparison is not something that should be made.

Ok, you have a point there and I will stop comparing them. But, what about the other games converted to multiplayer by other people? Such as GTA SA that has RenderWare as their engine? I can't see something like this being impossible. Just... borderline impossible. Tongue

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 09:21 PM by DreamScripters.)
12-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I wouldn't know about Grand Theft Auto, I had never heard of such a mod before this.

However again, the engine that game was built on was much more of a high priority engine for its time, and getting something like an open world game alike JC2 or GTA would not be quite as hard as something physics based such as Amnesia. The only real reason I would see to develop anything on the HPL2 engine would be physics interaction, and that's VERY hard to do in MP even with the source code, it's why we see things like Client Sided ragdolls in games.

And making a multiplayer mod for amnesia that would not be used to the main story of the game itself sounds like nothing but a waste of time, as you could with much less effort create something just like that using Unreal3 or Unity3D.
12-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 09:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: I wouldn't know about Grand Theft Auto, I had never heard of such a mod before this.

However again, the engine that game was built on was much more of a high priority engine for its time, and getting something like an open world game alike JC2 or GTA would not be quite as hard as something physics based such as Amnesia. The only real reason I would see to develop anything on the HPL2 engine would be physics interaction, and that's VERY hard to do in MP even with the source code, it's why we see things like Client Sided ragdolls in games.

And making a multiplayer mod for amnesia that would not be used to the main story of the game itself sounds like nothing but a waste of time, as you could with much less effort create something just like that using Unreal3 or Unity3D.

Ok, well thank you for you logical replies! I can see what you talking about. You could import all the content from amnesia and build it in something like Unity3D and make it multiplayer. And, I have actually thought about do this before. But then again, I had little to no experience with something like Unity3D. Also, I believe you would have to get permission for FG to do such a thing like this too. Now, I had a idea a little back which may seem unbelievably stupid to you because I don't even know how realistic something like this would be. My idea was that you could use Cheat Engine to get the values of the position of entities, get values such as ones used in the map script, and... some things actually fill themselves in then. Such as all the static objects of all client side obviously along with lighting and a few other things. After all, you would have the CS which has all the content on the host side so all you would (I think for the most part.) have to worry about if the position of entities and values in the scripts. I probably missed quite a few other points there but at the least to wrap it up my idea would be mainly about being able to pipe out these needed values (Which you could because they're all given a address too.) and sending them in packets to the other person at which the values would be applied to them. Crazy idea or not I don't know...

12-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

No idea how one would feed such information between clients into the engine and have it read functionally.

Then again I'm an artist.
12-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 10:07 PM)Traggey Wrote: No idea how one would feed such information between clients into the engine and have it read functionally.

Then again I'm an artist.

Like I said, it is hard to say if my idea would work. But, I have tried it on other games and it has worked. I would say that I should attempt to make a entity move to a position that I had entered the value manually. I think I will try to work on that today and if I have any success I will probably record it and post it on youtube and reply with the link. But, at the least it worth a try. Its always good to go out of your comfort zone and try preposterous things. Its how you learn. Wink And on another completely different side note. How do you like my banner in my signature? I made it for the header of my site. (I'm not a artist... XD)

12-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Too dark! Can't make out the shapes.
12-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

(12-22-2013, 11:06 PM)Traggey Wrote: Too dark! Can't make out the shapes.

Ok, thanks for telling me I will watch out for that in the future! Anyways... i'm going to go back to trying to get into my Steam account, I uninstalled and re-installed it and it asked for e-mail verification and my e-mail actually got closed. And steam support hasn't got back to me either so I got that I guess. XD Anyways, have a nice rest of the day! Smile

12-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Website Find