Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Black Aether
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
Black Aether

(Edit 14/08/14: Check page 2 for an update and the first teaser trailer!)

Thought folks might be interested in what I'm working on next...

Black Aether is a work-in-progress, episodic, dark-fantasy adventure based loosely around the Lovecraft/Cthulhu mythos, set in modern day Edinburgh.

I've been working on this story in one form or another for years. It was always going to be an adventure game with survival horror elements, originally a 2D point-and-click affair. Lately however, it’s undergone a slight rewrite: it will now be a full conversion for A:TDD. It will be released in probably 5 episodes of 2 or 3 hours gameplay, which will all have multiple endings that influence the ongoing story. It's possible that it might get ported to HPL3 "mid-season".

My aim is to have 99% custom meshes and 2d art, at least one custom monster and, like The Trapdoor, all new writing and voiceover, and a modified sanity system to shake things up a bit. The story is going to deal with mental health a bit more seriously than your average horror game.

Expect the first trailer in about a month. In the meantime, here's a VERY EARLY, WORK IN PROGRESS screenshot:

[Image: BlackAether_teaser_WIP-300x187.png]

Obviously, that room is far from finished. And yes, it will be lighter than The Trapdoor! Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 12:07 AM by MrBehemoth.)
06-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: Black Aether

Sounds and looks interesting!
Let's wait and see untill you have made some more pics for us.
Following this one!
06-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

*ear perks* Hmm, what? Cthulhu? Voice acting?

*activates lurking powers* I have been summoned by a mystical force!

TRANSLATED: Ooh, sounds very interesting! If you are ever in need for a female voice, I'd be happy to assist!

06-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Best gaming news of the year, if Trapdoor is any measure of what you can produce. I'm especially intrigued by this:

"The story is going to deal with mental health a bit more seriously than your average horror game."

I generally look forward to seeing any media treat mental illness as something other than a get out of jail free card for shit writing. "Turns out he was a schizophrenic and was sending himself on evil errands all along!". Fuck me I'm sick of that shit XD

I can't wait to play this Big Grin

06-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

(06-06-2014, 09:09 PM)AGP Wrote: TRANSLATED: Ooh, sounds very interesting! If you are ever in need for a female voice, I'd be happy to assist!

Interesting... All but one of the characters are Scottish or English, the other happens to be a female American. It's a long way off yet, but I'll keep you in mind!

(06-06-2014, 10:31 PM)Paddy Wrote: "Turns out he was a schizophrenic and was sending himself on evil errands all along!"

Dammit you guessed the surprise ending! Tongue [edit: this is most definitely a joke, just so we're all clear!]

Seriously though, there is obviously going to be an element of supernatural horror and therefore you're bound to wonder if it's "all in his head" so I'm trying to avoid that being the focus. I don't want to say too much at this stage, but the protagonist has a pre-existing condition that is part of the backstory and the driving factor behind some of the puzzles and character development, rather than a gameplay mechanic or a screen effect.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014, 12:01 AM by MrBehemoth.)
06-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

This is bound to be a behemoth of a CS/IFC/FC/WhateverYouwantToCallIt/WhatIWantToCallIt/Mod

06-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

(06-06-2014, 11:40 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote:
(06-06-2014, 09:09 PM)AGP Wrote: TRANSLATED: Ooh, sounds very interesting! If you are ever in need for a female voice, I'd be happy to assist!

Interesting... All but one of the characters are Scottish or English, the other happens to be a female American. It's a long way off yet, but I'll keep you in mind!

I'm actually working on perfecting a Scottish accent, so by the time you get to that stage I might be able to pull off something pretty convincing. Big Grin

Can't wait to see what you do with this.

Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but the textures look great, especially the wood floor!

06-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

This has my interest thoroughly piqued already. I look forward to seeing how it all comes together!

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
06-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Meet Mr Jenkins

I thought it was time to share something, just to re-assure you lovely people that I've been hard at work. I've been making all kinds of models for Black Aether, but I'm not ready to share much of it yet...

However, I thought you might like to meet Mr Jenkins, a very minor character without many lines but who is an important part of the setting nonetheless: watch this vid.

(ThatCrazyShaman, this is especially for you.)

Spoiler below!
As well as making the cage and accessories, I modded the TDD rat slightly to make him more docile and to squeak a more realistic amount, which is to say, not at all.

07-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(07-02-2014, 11:28 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote: I thought it was time to share something, just to re-assure you lovely people that I've been hard at work. I've been making all kinds of models for Black Aether, but I'm not ready to share much of it yet...

However, I thought you might like to meet Mr Jenkins, a very minor character without many lines but who is an important part of the setting nonetheless: watch this vid.

(ThatCrazyShaman, this is especially for you.)

Spoiler below!
As well as making the cage and accessories, I modded the TDD rat slightly to make him more docile and to squeak a more realistic amount, which is to say, not at all.

Haha awesome! Did you use your own pet rats as a basis for Mr. Jenkins? Cool

I'm looking forward to this in a big way. My gaming schedule for the next year has only a few highlights: SOMA, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Black Aether. No pressure or anything.

Is the trailer still coming this month? Smile

07-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Find