Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Discussion about Depth and other movies
caffeine4671 Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Discussion about Depth and other movies

The continuity just doesn't seem (at present anyway)to line up with what we know about the WAU. But like I mentioned earlier, maybe we don't know the WAU as well as we think we do and it's not just crazy people but also a manipulative AI.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 06:03 PM by caffeine4671.)
10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14

It doesn't make any sense at all. The WAU wants to preserve life, and now it starts attacking and manipulating everyone, especially Adam Golaski, and even kills someone? Why kill someone, if the goal is to save mankind?

I know the comet didn't hit earth in the time the transmissions play in, so wasnt the WAU kind of inactive in that time? It was said, that it started using the structure gel after the impact, and putting data of Pathos-2 workers (And Simon), into robotic bodies (And it mostly stole the scans, Catherine made for her ARK Project i think. And the scan made by Munshi)

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 07:05 PM by LordOfDragons.)
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(10-04-2015, 07:04 PM)LordOfDragons Wrote: It doesn't make any sense at all. The WAU wants to preserve life, and now it starts attacking and manipulating everyone, especially Adam Golaski, and even kills someone? Why kill someone, if the goal is to save mankind?

I know the comet didn't hit earth in the time the transmissions play in, so wasnt the WAU kind of inactive in that time? It was said, that it started using the structure gel after the impact, and putting data of Pathos-2 workers (And Simon), into robotic bodies (And it mostly stole the scans, Catherine made for her ARK Project i think. And the scan made by Munshi)

I made a thread earlier before these shorts were released stating that the "frontflesh" we heard about from the film production seemed different from the WAU that we know in the game, almost like frictional retconned evil-WAU (which, while cliched still would've been fine by me) and replaced it with "HUMANS R THE ROOT OF EVIL".
10-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

Only 1 video left........... hopefully it's longer than five minutes.........

also, i get the impression A LOT has been cut out of this....

Spoiler below!
So Golaski just totally died

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM by Noisecode.)
10-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-04-2015, 07:04 PM)LordOfDragons Wrote: It doesn't make any sense at all. The WAU wants to preserve life, and now it starts attacking and manipulating everyone, especially Adam Golaski, and even kills someone? Why kill someone, if the goal is to save mankind?

This is another thing I was curious to discuss. As you may remember, Catherine specifically, few times mentioned that WAU isn't an actual AI, it does not think or feel human-alike, it is more like a set of logical protocols/reasons with some kind of freedom of interpretation for specific tasks.

Now, if it was an actual AI with a task to preserve human life at any cost, just like a human person it could convince, lie to itself that killing these people at Omicron to save itself is MORE important because letting them destroy itself would results in more death in the end ("i'm the only who can save these people + my destruction would kill all current people connected to my paradise-network etc etc bla bla"). But WAU does not think like that, it just operates through basic logic. Basically, this is the golden case of tv trope "Logic Bomb", you know, remember these ancient sci-fi movies where protagonist asks a robot some dumb kid's question/puzzle and it fries itself? Yeah, basically this. How did WAU decide in that case which lives are more important: the lives of quite a bunch of people at Omicron or the lives of current amount of few (and I believe at that time it was VERY few of them) people in his own "ARK-network" he believe he "saved"? Or may be he even operated via amount of possible lives he can save if he won't be stopped even?

That's rather nonsensical and either a plot hole or, which I find rather poor execution in general - can be explained that WAU "evolved" or "a little bit morecomplex that basic set of logical algorithms but not so complex as full-fledged AI yet complex enough to make such decision which is usually more fits actual AI blabla". Both cases sound rather pathetic to be honest. And REGARDLESS of actual answer this is very WEAK part of the plot and writing. And just one of many.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(10-04-2015, 08:38 PM)Kein Wrote:

This is another thing I was curious to discuss. As you may remember, Catherine specifically, few times mentioned that WAU isn't an actual AI, it does not think or feel human-alike, it is more like a set of logical protocols/reasons with some kind of freedom of interpretation for specific tasks.

Now, if it was an actual AI with a task to preserve human life at any cost, just like a human person it could convince, lie to itself that killing these people at Omicron to save itself is MORE important because letting them destroy itself would results in more death in the end ("i'm the only who can save these people + my destruction would kill all current people connected to my paradise-network etc etc bla bla"). But WAU does not think like that, it just operates through basic logic. Basically, this is the golden case of tv trope "Logic Bomb", you know, remember these ancient sci-fi movies where protagonist asks a robot some dumb kid's question/puzzle and it fries itself? Yeah, basically this. How did WAU decide in that case which lives are more important: the lives of quite a bunch of people at Omicron or the lives of current amount of few (and I believe at that time it was VERY few of them) people in his own "ARK-network" he believe he "saved"? Or may be he even operated via amount of possible lives he can save if he won't be stopped even?

That's rather nonsensical and either a plot hole or, which I find rather poor execution in general - can be explained that WAU "evolved" or "a little bit morecomplex that basic set of logical algorithms but not so complex as full-fledged AI yet complex enough to make such decision which is usually more fits actual AI blabla". Both cases sound rather pathetic to be honest. And REGARDLESS of actual answer this is very WEAK part of the plot and writing. And just one of many.

This is all true, but is Catherine aware of the full extent of the WAU's presence at the time of her scan/copied consciousness? She knows that it has taken over the station, but does she know about site Alpha?

EDIT: Just realized how little I had site alpha explained to me by the game's story. I don't even think Catherine gives a shit that Simon stuck his arm in the WAU. It's like something that they inserted at the last minute, almost
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 08:57 PM by caffeine4671.)
10-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

Anyone else notice that this episode, like other ones featuring Golaski as the view point character, has a sequence in the beginning featuring what looks like memory flashbacks HOWEVER it ends abruptly in Static moments before entering ......that thing's embrace.

As I recall there was a behind the scenes pic of Josh having his hair and beard shaved completely off. So...

Either Golaski is dead OR....he has been augmented.

The scene was awesome.....and very creepy.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
10-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

Maybe Ross was perfectly right about the WAU all along.
10-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpSHpX9Gvfw

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 03:26 PM by Kein.)
10-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

(10-04-2015, 11:24 PM)Noisecode Wrote: Anyone else notice that this episode, like other ones featuring Golaski as the view point character, has a sequence in the beginning featuring what looks like memory flashbacks HOWEVER it ends abruptly in Static moments before entering ......that thing's embrace.

The WAU is using an image of his daughter to entice him into the machine it's going to integrate him with.

All these transmissions are confirming what I've always said about the WAU. Ross was absolutely right.
10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Find