Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra BP crashes after intro story
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Penumbra BP crashes after intro story

I know you all probably have talked about this before, but my game crashes after the intro. I got Penumbra: Black Plague gold edition off of steam, and it worked fine before, now suddenly it doesn't. In the default_settings.cfg file, the part at the bottom does say level01_cells.dae and it's totally in that file, but my game still won't let me play. maybe i need to update my graphics driver or something, but way better games run just fine on my computer. I'm not really smart in knowing what to do here, but I'd love some help. thanks.
09-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra BP crashes after intro story

Please check the troubleshooting guide and post the hpl.log as described under problem x.
09-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Website Find
Hypercube Offline

oh nevermind, idk what happened but it suddenly started to work again. maybe it was some other thing on my computer interfering with the game but i doubt that. but it works just fine now, and it has worked since.

okay i tested it again, and it's not working again. this is annoying. it's just happening at random or something idk...

here's my hpl.log

(by the way i am able to keep it at max resolution, but i set it down to help it run better when I play the game from a saved spot)

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 5.8 KB / Downloads: 143)
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 06:14 AM by Hypercube.)
09-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

You have to run the game until it crashes and then post the hpl.log. The one you posted now seems to be all fine, the game exist normal Smile
09-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Website Find
Hypercube Offline

So this is my hpl.log after the game crashed, and I hope it's the one I need to post, because the game just doesn't work. I think it's pretty much the same though. And something I didn't say before, was that my game crashes right at the startup loading screen. It kind of happens at random, but sometimes my game opens up, and sometimes is crashes back to the desktop. That's usually when it says penumbra.exe has stopped working.

And I also put in the settings.cfg file in case there's anything wrong with that, to me it kind of looks like it should be for Penumbra: Overture.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 22.66 KB / Downloads: 131)
.cfg   default_settings.cfg (Size: 2.92 KB / Downloads: 160)
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015, 10:37 PM by Hypercube.)
09-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Indeed it tries to load a overture level according to the log. However the default_settings.cfg is correct so your user_settings file is probably incorrect. Delete it and run the game and it should create a new settings file for you with the correct settings.

Settings file to delete should be in My Documents\Penumbra Overture\Episode1\
09-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Website Find
Hypercube Offline

(09-21-2015, 10:49 PM)jens Wrote: Indeed it tries to load a overture level according to the log. However the default_settings.cfg is correct so your user_settings file is probably incorrect. Delete it and run the game and it should create a new settings file for you with the correct settings.

Settings file to delete should be in My Documents\Penumbra Overture\Episode1\

Thank you, the game is working now, I think when I installed Overture it might have interfered with Black Plague, because I did install it and it was after I am pretty sure that black plague started crashing. Well, I have been looking in all of the wrong folders, but I got it to work now. Thanks Big Grin
09-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Find