Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Renderer #0 failure bug.
JoeK Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Renderer #0 failure bug.

Thomas, it's not a resolution problem. I can't even run it at the default resolution (1024x768) without getting this error.

Monk's fix didn't work for me.
09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

Threads: 1

The kicker is that people who use LCD monitors (literally everyone including myself) won't want to use a lower resolution because it's blurry, unoptimised and unplayable. It's really weird that a high end graphics card like a 9xxx series would have a problem like this. Sorry my fix didn't work dude :<

Did you have the demo before the full game?
09-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Find
Venus Offline

Threads: 0

Guys, it's wierd that I have no problems with the game on my PC with Win XP system -installed it and began to play, without changing any settings at all.

And on my notebook with Windows 7 system i have problems with this.
I made an update of video card driver, changed my resolution from lower to higher and backwards-nothing(((
As MonkEsquire turned off SSAO still doesn't work((
What else can be the reason of this?
09-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Find
taviow Offline

(09-11-2010, 11:39 AM)Thomas Wrote: It just seems like the graphics card drivers does not like that resolution then and there is not much we can do about I'm afraid.

What if said resolution works with other games? I mean, really. It's weird but it's not like our monitor resolutions are unsupported by these recent GPUs (err, or drivers I guess?). I don't get the Renderer #0 failure error anymore, but the game does run a lot slower than it should, and it's rather unplayable like that.

The weird thing is that it seems like it's only the highest resolution possible for our monitors that fail. Not any of the others.
09-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

Well it seems like every single time I try to play the game it crashes. I just tried the steps I posted previously to see if they worked but they don't today for some reason!

There is something messed up with the game code here. It's not a user error. I'm not computer illiterate. Every single game I have on my PC can run my monitors native resolution. It's not like I'm running an onboard graphics card. The 8xxx series is a few years old by now but it can still run this game perfectly fine with all the graphics maxed out.

Edit:

I think I've nailed it down to SSAO and the monitors native resolution being the problem, here's the steps I did:

Game crashes, loads default settings
Launch game without changing anything in the launcher (the game defaults SSAO to ON for me)
Change resolution to native, changed all graphic settings to their highest
turned OFF SSAO
Quit game
Relaunched
Didn't crash.

Now when I did this, got the game launched in my native resolution. I tried turning SSAO back on then restarting the game and it immediately crashed. Not really sure why it worked with SSAO yesterday but not today but at least it's some progress.
09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3

(09-12-2010, 06:32 AM)Venus Wrote: Guys, it's wierd that I have no problems with the game on my PC with Win XP system -installed it and began to play, without changing any settings at all.

And on my notebook with Windows 7 system i have problems with this.
I made an update of video card driver, changed my resolution from lower to higher and backwards-nothing(((
As MonkEsquire turned off SSAO still doesn't work((
What else can be the reason of this?

If that is the case, then it most definitely is a driver issue.
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Find
nsaneone Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Thumbs Down  RE: Renderer #0 failure bug.

Ok, I am at the point of pulling out my hair here. Either this game runs slowly or not at all. Once, AND I MEAN ONCE AND ONLY ONCE. I actually got to play the game I PAID FOR and for only about five minutes before the game almost freezes on me and all the graphics disappear. None of the suggestions work and I'm really about to lose it here.
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Find
Daniel Offline

(09-12-2010, 07:33 PM)nsaneone Wrote: Ok, I am at the point of pulling out my hair here. Either this game runs slowly or not at all. Once, AND I MEAN ONCE AND ONLY ONCE. I actually got to play the game I PAID FOR and for only about five minutes before the game almost freezes on me and all the graphics disappear. None of the suggestions work and I'm really about to lose it here.

Sorry but That is to funny lolol

MacPro 2X 2GHZ / 10GRAM / Nvidia7300GT / ATI HD4550 1GB / 1920x1200 / 1680X1050 / Leopard / Snow Leopard / XP PRO
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

Well turns out that every single time I want to play this game I have to go through the tedium of launching and quitting about 5 times to reset all the options so it doesn't crash and give me the renderer #0 bug.

It's either terrible nvidia drivers or some wonky game code because my graphics card can and does support amnesia at 1680x1050.

It's like the devs saying "well it works fine for me, so I don't believe you!"
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

This game uses OpenGL which is known to have more driver problems (we use to have cross platform support).

I would suggest to all to start by resetting the settings as oulined in A.2:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html

Then make sure SSAO is off and see if that helps. It is good to know that you have some kinda of base-line where everything works as it should. And then from there start increasing, one setting at a time and see how the game works.

Regarding the lower resolution, yes I know it is a pain as you do not get a 1:1 game-screen pixel mapping, but since the game does not have sharp fonts or the like, it should not be that bad. Because of my crappy computer, I can run no games at native solution.
09-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Find