Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My First Map
Armored Cow Offline

Threads: 3
My First Map

This is the map I've been working on since the editor was released. Because of this, the first two rooms are in similar format to the tutorial.

Anyway, I was planning on carrying this out and making a few more maps to make this a complete story but have decided against it because I've been having a few odd issues and the layout of my map is not ideal. Plus the story was bad for how it started out Confused So I'm just going to start fresh with a new map/story next.

So, it's called Johnathan's Castle because it was going to have a story about your uncle's castle and stuff (the note on the table would explain this if it would actually work). The note has no text and the key doesn't have a name but just disregard that.

Without further ado:
http://www.hotshare.net/en/file/302508-5231962f5a.html

EDIT: The map is pretty short, and when you get to the level door, do not open it; it leads nowhere.

Any criticism is welcome.
09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2
RE: My First Map

I will take a look at it and edit this post when I am done playing through your map. Wink

[edit]
Aw... quite a short one.
You know what actually scared me in your map? That nothing was happening in the first room. I had to search like 2 minutes until I found the key, during that time I thought the door would just jump open and a monster appears. Tongue

I didn't find any clipping errors. There are 2 other things I found though:
- You should move the doorframes a bit more into the room since you can still see parts of the wall through the frame.
- Don't use the ceiling texture you used above the stairs, it looks terrible. Tongue

I will take a look why your entries don't work, will do another edit after that.

[edit #2]
Uff... it actually took me 15 minutes to figure what was wrong with your extra_english.lang file.
You wrote
<EntryName="Upstairs">Upstairs</Entry>
There is a space missing between Entry and Name, it should be
<Entry Name="Upstairs">Upstairs</Entry>

That little mistake made your whole file broken. :/
Updated my post. Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2010, 01:18 AM by Pandemoneus.)
09-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Find
Armored Cow Offline

Threads: 3
RE: My First Map

Oh thanks for letting me know why everything wasn't working! I looked over that file for a long time and never noticed that, lol.

Thanks for the criticism, I'll look at that ceiling texture and make sure to fix doorframes as well (in the future; that map isn't being updated, as I said).
09-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Find