Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Moving mouse in Penumbra in OSX - can't
Pat
Unregistered

Not Solved Moving mouse in Penumbra in OSX - can't
Hi, this is the exact same problem described by some guy already, but that thread didn't show a solution. See https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/th...ight=mouse - the only possible difference with my problem is that I have not noticed whether or not it has anything to do with changing windows or not.

Having some real problems looking upwards with the mouse, i.e. I can look all around the ground but I can't see above waist height. I have no idea why it does this. Basically an infuriating, non-cooperative mouse situation!

I'm running it on OSX 10.11 - I know I'm supposed to attach a file to help tech support people understand the problem, but the directory path to follow to find the file doesn't appear to exist on my computer. In fact, if I search for "Penumbra" on my hard drive, I get no results, and it isn't showing up in Applications or anywhere where games normally would. I've played the game already for about an hour, and I remember going through the installation in Steam. Don't know what's going on there.

But in a nutshell, the problem is that I can't move properly, so the game is not playable. There are no crashes, and everything else seems to be working as intended.
05-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Krakow57 Offline

Threads: 2
Not Solved RE: Moving mouse in Penumbra in OSX - can't
I noticed the same issue. I have a Mac Pro notebook, el Capitan. Too lazy to use one of my PCs.

My solution to this is simple: I move the mouse rapidly few times, and it gets Unstuck. Other times I go to Escape, and move my mouse like crazy there, then go back to the game.

Yes, it keeps happening, and it is annoying, but at least I can play the Penumbra games. Just re-playing the whole series again.
05-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Find
Pat
Unregistered

OK... I'll take the hint of 12 days of deafening silence from Frictional Games and get a refund. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
05-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
The games are old and your OS is new. There are bound to be incompatibilities/issues. Admittedly, FG has not been very active around here lately, but considering how old the games are, I wouldn't be surprised if they were unsupported by now.

PS: I just tested it myself and Penumbra Overture works fine for me without any mouse issues on OS X 10.8. Most likely the issue is the newer OS and the fact that the game was never updated to support it. I'm using a USB mouse though, so I guess it's worth checking that it's not the Apple Magic Mouse that is the problem, if you're using that?

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2016, 05:11 PM by Mudbill.)
05-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Find
MTMabowels Offline

Threads: 0
(05-20-2016, 05:10 PM)Mudbill Wrote: The games are old and your OS is new. There are bound to be incompatibilities/issues. Admittedly, FG has not been very active around here lately, but considering how old the games are, I wouldn't be surprised if they were unsupported by now.

PS: I just tested it myself and Penumbra Overture works fine for me without any mouse issues on OS X 10.8. Most likely the issue is the newer OS and the fact that the game was never updated to support it. I'm using a USB mouse though, so I guess it's worth checking that it's not the Apple Magic Mouse that is the problem, if you're using that?

Greetings.

I am new to this game, having only just bought the "Penumbra Collection" in last week or two. So I have assumed it must still be supported.

The game (Penumbra: Overture) started off okay. I'm now in the mining area (with the angry dog) and I'm having the same trouble with the mouse movement as the original poster. In fact, to place an inventory item into one of the numbered slots at the top of the screen, I have to drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen first, otherwise I can't get the cursor into the top quarter of the screen at all. I started experiencing these problems when I got to the snowy Greenland scenes and had to enter the mine before freezing to death.

I also find that I have to keep dragging to the left multiples of times and often I still can't get the view to turn left. Right seems to be okay. It's a real pig when trying to, say, sneak past the said angry dog.

I have also tried to play the game with my old USB Mighty Mouse and the problem was the same. I bought my iMac (Mac OS 10.11.6) on 15 June 2016 - in case it it relevant.

Just curious, but I wonder if the original poster has tried the other games in this series to see if they also have this issue?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM by MTMabowels.)
07-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Considering your OS (10.11), I'm gonna still bet on this issue being some OS incompatibility issue. If that's the case, I think only FG can fix it, unfortunately.

07-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Find
MTMabowels Offline

Threads: 0
(07-31-2016, 12:40 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Considering your OS (10.11), I'm gonna still bet on this issue being some OS incompatibility issue. If that's the case, I think only FG can fix it, unfortunately.

I guess so too. I haven't tried to play the other two games in the collection yet. I would prefer to play them separately in order but I now wonder if I should start each of them to see if this problem is common to all three games in this series.

Does one now have to 'move this up' somehow, or do the staff at FG read our posts? T'would be nice to know that they do.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2016, 07:15 PM by MTMabowels.)
08-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
I can and have assigned the thread to one of the staff members/developers, but considering we haven't had much contact with them as of late, I'm not sure if much help will come about for a while. There has been some behind-the-scenes chatter about the lack of Penumbra support, however.

Is there a way to simulate older Mac hardware/software? I am aware of Windows' compatibility options which allow an application to run with similar properties to a specified Operating System. Forgive me if I am wrong, since I'm not a Mac user; I'm asking out of curiosity, but also for knowledge in case more problems like this come up.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I don't believe there is anything similar to the Windows compatibility mode.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201861

08-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Find
Genève gil
Unregistered

(07-31-2016, 12:40 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Considering your OS (10.11), I'm gonna still bet on this issue being some OS incompatibility issue. If that's the case, I think only FG can fix it, unfortunately.

Actually, I played this game years ago, when it first came out, and had the same issues then as I'm having now. I can't see a cursor at all. I can't remember if I ever fixed it the first time around.

I was on a PowerMac G5 then and am now on a MacBook Pro.
05-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.