Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi OS level editor
Caterpillar Offline

Threads: 27
Multi OS level editor

Hi saw that the level editor is Windows only. Has Frictional Games ever tought of using Qt libs for the editor? It should make much easier to release a level editor for all main operating systems
12-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Multi OS level editor

I'm sure they thought of using quite a few things. However, they seem to have opted with the decision to produce their modding tools (alongside their engine) almost entirely in-house. This has come with the unfortunate side-effect that they are not likely to be ported to other systems anytime soon, although if memory serves there have been some people who have claimed limited success on Linux.

12-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I would think Wine could be a possibility. Worth trying I guess.

Though I'm not sure why the HPL3 editors are not supported on all major platforms. HPL2 was (and in my opinion worked better on OS X than on Windows). So the engine itself shouldn't have any issues being ported, therefore something must've changed in HPL3. Perhaps they just decided to focus on Windows only so that it would be done properly (because admittedly, HPL2 had some apparent bugs).

But actually creating a port shouldn't be too hard for them with the source code. But of course it's probably not prioritized at all.

12-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Find
Caterpillar Offline

(12-19-2016, 03:06 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I would think Wine could be a possibility. Worth trying I guess.

Though I'm not sure why the HPL3 editors are not supported on all major platforms. HPL2 was (and in my opinion worked better on OS X than on Windows). So the engine itself shouldn't have any issues being ported, therefore something must've changed in HPL3. Perhaps they just decided to focus on Windows only so that it would be done properly (because admittedly, HPL2 had some apparent bugs).

But actually creating a port shouldn't be too hard for them with the source code. But of course it's probably not prioritized at all.

I don't think Frictional Games will invest resources in rebuilding from zero the SOMA editor. But I hope that in the future they will adopt Qt libs.
12-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Why do you think they would have to rebuilt it from zero? Perhaps if they indeed wanted to use Qt libs, then maybe, but as it is right now it should be fairly simple for them to create a working version for mac/nux.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016, 03:39 PM by Mudbill.)
12-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Find
Caterpillar Offline

(12-20-2016, 03:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Why do you think they would have to rebuilt it from zero?

I used the wrong words, but making such change is not trivial and requires a certain amount of resources. Considering that, by reading Frictional Games rumors, actually they developing two different project, I don't think they will ever spend any kind of resource in modifying a stable and working editor
12-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Indeed, they easily could do it, but I don't think they will dedicate enough time to as there is little gain from doing so. Despite being "easy" (relatively speaking) it would surely take many hours to get a stable release on the other platforms.

I made this thread a while ago:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-35719.html

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016, 03:51 PM by Mudbill.)
12-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Find