Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story Help!!
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 7 Years, 4 Weeks ago RE: Custom Story Help!!

The custom stories you download come as archive files. Think of an archive as a folder compressed into a single file. It's smaller than the folder in size, but contains the same content.

After downloading it, you "extract" the folder from the archive, which decompresses it into its proper file size. It's this folder that you place within the custom_stories directory in your game.

But in order to extract files from a .rar archive, you need software like 7Zip or WinRAR, because Windows doesn't support .rar by default. It only supports .zip files (which are a different kind of archive). Some custom stories you download may come as a .zip file, and that's why you can easily open them, but sometimes they come as .rar.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017, 11:14 AM by Mudbill.)
02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Find
tigerlillymaya13 Offline

Threads: 8

So basically what you are saying is that I should look for custom stories that come in zip form?
02-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Find
tigerlillymaya13 Offline

Well, I managed to download "Lost the Light".
02-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

What I mean is that if you download custom stories that come in .zip format, you don't need special software to open them.

If they come in .rar format, you need an archiver program like WinRAR or 7Zip, but other than that, it's the exact same.

02-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Find
tigerlillymaya13 Offline

You have been very helpful. Thank you so much.
I am still trying to figure out how in the world I managed to get Lost Light downloaded. So I am practicing with other custom stories to see how I did it.

I do have a question. Have you played Lost the Light?
If so, there is point in the game where you have to break down a door with hammer and from there is a room that has chipper in it so that you can open a padlock door.
Questions:
I have key on computer that returns me to my desktop. I hit the key by mistake when I am playing amnesia and I have force shut down my computer Is there a key I can push to go back to amnesia without force shutting down the whole computer?
Amnesia saves the game at the where I left off. The problem is the game reset it off, so the door I broke down before is whole again and it will not let me use the hammer to break it down?
02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I have not played it so if you are stuck you should ask the creator.

You mean you hit the "Windows" key on your keyboard, which kicks you out of the fullscreen game and returns you to the desktop? That is normal.

Try pressing ALT+TAB which will give you a list of running programs. Keep holding ALT and press TAB multiple times until the game is selected, then release ALT. It should put you back into the game.

If you need to shut it down, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC on your keyboard. This opens the task manager. (If it says "Show more details", click that). Under Processes/Details, find Amnesia.exe and click End Process.

[Image: 648aba012a8445888e99813107fd39c3.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2017, 07:23 PM by Mudbill.)
02-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Find
tigerlillymaya13 Offline

Thank you! I knew you would know. I am going to give it a try and see what happens.
Oh and I solved the problem with the game, I just started over.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM by tigerlillymaya13.)
02-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Find