Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC died, reinstalled SOMA, all saved progress is gone
digitalformula Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 6 Years, 7 Months ago PC died, reinstalled SOMA, all saved progress is gone

Hello,

As the subject says, my PC died and all my saved progress in SOMA is gone. Had to reinstall Windows and no previous files were recoverable. Yes, I did backups of my work but had no idea that files for saved games may exist with Steam.

Since SOMA supports cloud sync, doesn't that mean saved progress is up in the cloud somewhere?

If so, how do I get it back? As much as I love this game, I was somewhere near the final stages of the game when this happened and I'd quite like to avoid going through the entire game again, just to finally finish it.

Is there anything I can do?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM by digitalformula.)
09-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 6 Years, 7 Months ago RE: PC died, reinstalled SOMA, all saved progress is gone

Your save files may be in Steam\userdata\<id>\282140\remote\Main (where <id> are numbers to do with your Steam ID) if they were downloaded with SOMA while reinstalling it.

If so, you may need to move them to (assuming Windows), Documents\My Games\Soma\Main\<user>_<id>\ (where <user> is your steam name and <id> are an arbitrary set of numbers and letters). You may need to start a new game to generate a <user>_<id> folder.

SOMA performs a cloud sync on each run, so you may require to run the game in order to synchronize the saves as well. Should that not work, someone may be able to provide a save file for you at the point you last remember as well, should there not be anything there.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 01:23 AM by Romulator.)
09-14-2017, 01:22 AM
Find
digitalformula Offline

Solved: 6 Years, 7 Months ago RE: PC died, reinstalled SOMA, all saved progress is gone

(09-14-2017, 01:22 AM)Romulator Wrote: Your save files may be in Steam\userdata\<id>\282140\remote\Main (where <id> are numbers to do with your Steam ID) if they were downloaded with SOMA while reinstalling it.

If so, you may need to move them to (assuming Windows), Documents\My Games\Soma\Main\<user>_<id>\ (where <user> is your steam name and <id> are an arbitrary set of numbers and letters). You may need to start a new game to generate a <user>_<id> folder.

SOMA performs a cloud sync on each run, so you may require to run the game in order to synchronize the saves as well. Should that not work, someone may be able to provide a save file for you at the point you last remember as well, should there not be anything there.

Thanks for the response. There actually are some saved games in that location, which is great, but they're a bit old. They're in Omicron whereas I was messing about somewhere in Tau station. The load did work, too, but yeah, they're old.

It's a start!

I was up to the bit where there's that massive round door that takes a year or so to open, after which I think the idea is to avoid the enemy while trying to lock him/it/her outside the door. Something like that, I think - I didn't actually get past that point before the PC crashed.

Are you saying there's a way to get the saved game back if it's later than the point I have here?
09-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

I believe I posted a save of that point some time ago in the forum's history. Let me see if I can dig it up for you Smile

Romulator Wrote:[H]ere is my save which takes place just after the airlock.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk0cftwptnypne...e.zip?dl=0

You will spawn rather shortly inside Tau, where the airlock which you were supposed to enter is directly behind you.

There ya go! Hopefully that works Smile You should place it in the /Documents/My Games/Soma/<user>_<id>/ directory.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 01:10 PM by Romulator.)
09-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Find
digitalformula Offline

(09-14-2017, 01:00 PM)Romulator Wrote: I believe I posted a save of that point some time ago in the forum's history. Let me see if I can dig it up for you Smile

Thanks! Big Grin
09-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Edited my post. It takes place just as you enter Tau.

Good luck and enjoy!

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 01:12 PM by Romulator.)
09-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Find
digitalformula Offline

(09-14-2017, 01:12 PM)Romulator Wrote: Edited my post. It takes place just as you enter Tau.

Good luck and enjoy!

Holy cr@p! That worked!

Mate, you're a frickin' champion! Thanks so much! :-D

(I'm in Melbourne, too ... lol)
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM by digitalformula.)
09-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Haha rip. Nice to see someone else from Australia Smile

Since you have gotten your problem solved, I'm going to close this! Enjoy the rest of the game! Smile

09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Find