Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 38 Vote(s) - 3.95 Average
Amnesia: An Unexpected Arrival [RELEASE] - v1.04
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1
RE: An Unexpected Arrival - RELEASED! [31st May 2011]

I liked it very much!

Spoiler below!

The intro/credit-scene was nice - but were those flying things stones? I didn't get what they were there for. The music and the distorted view created a nice feeling in the whole starting section.

The locked cabinet in the first downstairs part was nice, that surely will freak out some players.

In the room with "A tattered note" the shirt in the top drawer flips out of the front of the drawer a bit when you pull it open quickly.

I liked the overall style of "brutal" scares with the heavy loud sound effects, it was something nicely different.

The first view onto the chandelier in the East Wing looked really nice. But the clock sound on that level sounded a bit too "cartoonish" for my taste.

The door that swings open slowly by itself looked very nice, imho this was just the right pace to not make it look obviously scripted.

In the Core Systems I had the same problem with the lever that was already mentioned: The area where to put it was a bit too small - after I tried to put the lever there once without success I kept searching the whole area over and over for another lever.

The sound during the elevator ride was nice.

The "burn your faith" riddle was a good idea.

At the door with the wood planks I had the same "problem" as someone above: I jumped over the gap and went near the door when the ingame message about the wood popped up - but I hadn't opened the door and therefore hadn't seen the wood either. I didn't find anything to do down there - so was there nothing to do or is there a scret area behind the locked door?

"Caution, watch your head" - very nice! Wink

The talking skull was something new, nice. I also liked the descent via the broken wood planks.

All in all everything looked great to me, good luck with your next project!
Now I need to find the secret rooms - did anyone find one yet? Smile
06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

Thanks a lot for the patch Big Grin I'll play it again now.
Uggh.... the link for version 1.01 isnt working Sad. Nothing appears when I click on it.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 12:11 PM by skypeskype.)
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Website Find
skypeskype Offline

Nevermind, I've got it working
Just finished it AND I LOVED IT.

PROS:
The level design is great, that custom track you used somehow feels right, I love how you built up atmosphere. Almost NO bugs at all. I only found 1 actually but I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.
Spoiler below!
when you go down the stairs to that boarded up door after the wooden ledge cracks, theres a hole in the stairs. I can walk on it, I don't suppose I should right ? Big Grin

CONS:
It was a bit too easy, with very few puzzles. Preety short, done in 30 mins or so, but again THE GREATNESS of you level design and well chosen events covers it up. There seems to be a strange purple triangle in front of me or atop of me while im walking around. It dissapears eventually, so no big deal.

OVERALL:
I loved it and all the goodness that came with it. i really hope you do part 2 cuz i was like "Sad" then "D:" when the credits showed up.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 03:55 PM by skypeskype.)
06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Website Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

(06-01-2011, 03:03 PM)skypeskype Wrote: Nevermind, I've got it working
Just finished it AND I LOVED IT.

PROS:
The level design is great, that custom track you used somehow feels right, I love how you built up atmosphere. Almost NO bugs at all. I only found 1 actually but I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.
Spoiler below!
when you go down the stairs to that boarded up door after the wooden ledge cracks, theres a hole in the stairs. I can walk on it, I don't suppose I should right ? Big Grin

CONS:
It was a bit too easy, with very few puzzles. Preety short, done in 30 mins or so, but again THE GREATNESS of you level design and well chosen events covers it up. There seems to be a strange purple triangle in front of me or atop of me while im walking around. It dissapears eventually, so no big deal.

OVERALL:
I loved it and all the goodness that came with it. i really hope you do part 2 cuz i was like "Sad" then "D:" when the credits showed up.

Made my day, glad you liked playing it! Big Grin

The thing about "when you go down the stairs to that boarded up door after the wooden ledge cracks, theres a hole in the stairs. I can walk on it,"

I'm not fully sure what bit you are talking about; unless you reloaded the map and traced-backwards; in which case, yes there will be a walkable gap in the stairs. There is a block-box that prevents players from climbing up through the hole in the stairs (as of v1.01) - but the box is removed as soon as they
Spoiler below!
break the wood with the hammer

And I noticed the weird triangle too! I have no clue what it is, or why it's there, haha Tongue

06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

But what do I do if he does nasty things to me ? D:
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Website Find
Eyvindr Offline

Threads: 0

Very impressive custom story you have made, it certanly made me jump Wink
06-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Website Find
Leu Radu Offline

Threads: 1

I had a bug when entering the new area that is behind the bookcase... my starting position was way off, in the room with the eagle. I changed the starting map as you suggested to someone else and it worked fine. Maybe it happened because I tested your map some time ago? I'd say no, because I've removed the previous folder completely...

This time, not playing as a tester, I actually got to enjoy the story. Many elements bring a lot of atmosphere and feeling to the game. Some details in the environment have little stories to tell (like the painting with hand-shaped blood marks on it, or the hidden painting with Jesus, or the suicide note in the eagle room). Good use of scripting! The combinations of sanity effects and sound is very good. The jump puzzle at the end is something new and refreshing.

I don't like the lighting in most of the places. Not quite dark enough for my taste. I also had the problem with the triangle. Not much of a problem, anyway.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable custom story. I can't say it's short, for the intensity it has. And I can see a lot of work with scripting. Well done!

P.S. If you need me as a tester again, for your new story, count me in! I'll have loads of free time later this summer.
06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Find
Nye Offline

^ Thanks man! And of course you can test stuff; just as soon as I have anything worth testing Tongue

06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Adjusted entities/enemies

I don't understand, what do you mean by 'adjusted' enemies?

Quote:so why you remove spiders?
i like themTongue

Gee Idk, maybe cause as the patch notes state they're annoying?
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 04:37 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
06-03-2011, 04:35 AM
Website Find
Nye Offline

(06-03-2011, 04:35 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote:Adjusted entities/enemies

I don't understand, what do you mean by 'adjusted' enemies?

Quote:so why you remove spiders?
i like themTongue

Gee Idk, maybe cause as the patch notes state they're annoying?

Well, a few of the enemies had their music disabled (daniel_grunt.ogg); and one had slower running speed, etc.

And, as for the spiders, I think the release before the patch, had a few too many, so the player got bombarded by annoying invisible spiders xD

06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Find