Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Note/Diary Narration
Henriksen Offline

Threads: 71
RE: Note/Diary Narration

You sure you have checked the "Use Narration" in the note tab thingy?
I forgot to do that the first time x)
07-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

Threads: 20

One more thing, how would I make it so when I pick up a note without narration it plays like a little noise as it does in the game (like when it plays a few piano notes)?
(07-13-2011, 06:59 AM)teddifisk Wrote: You sure you have checked the "Use Narration" in the note tab thingy?
I forgot to do that the first time x)

Yeah I'm sure Big Grin I have that YouTube video to revert to anyway now if I get stuck on it.

:Work In Progress:
Insanity
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM by JoeBradleyUK.)
07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16

I believe if you want music/sound to play use the box that says Diary Callback. You can use that to add music.

07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

(07-13-2011, 10:00 PM)triadtimes Wrote: I believe if you want music/sound to play use the box that says Diary Callback. You can use that to add music.

Thankyou, I'll look further into it later Smile

Would it be the same for notes? Except the box being called Note Callback? and would I just put the music inside the box (the .ogg file)?

Insanity
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM by JoeBradleyUK.)
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

It still doesn't work, the narration! Do i need something in my .hps file to even pick up diaries? because when i pick them up nothing even comes up! nothing! Angry i did everything in your videos, this is so frustrating! Huh Sad

Insanity
07-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Find
triadtimes Offline

The narration still doesn't work? Well do you at least have text in your diary?

07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

(07-14-2011, 05:53 PM)triadtimes Wrote: The narration still doesn't work? Well do you at least have text in your diary?

OK, I'll tell you what i have, firstly this is my .lang:

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="Munkholmen Fortress - The Black Plague">
    <Entry Name="Description">You wake up delirious as a British Biologist apprentice and in the fortress of Munkholmen, there seems to be trouble about.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
    <Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Name">Note To Self</Entry>
    <Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Text">[br][Voice Diary_ST01_NoteToSelf_01.ogg][br] Hello Nathaniel, [br][br]At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear.[br]You cannot remember what you are doing here, which is probably for the best, as it will only make you stronger. [br]At the moment, all you ever need to know is that you have to get out of here, anyway you can. [br]Also, there is a plague broken out in the castle, and you are the last known survivor, but there may be more. [br]One Last last thing, there are these...things. These monstrous creatures of the dark, lurking in the shadows. [br] [br] Your former self, [br] [br]Nathaniel. </Entry>
    <Entry Name="Diary_NDiaryTwo_Name">Nathaniel's Diary - Preparation</Entry>
    <Entry Name="Diary_NDiaryTwo_Text">18th August 1845, [br] [br] Today, I set off towards the vast plains of South America, but not for a holiday, it is merely an educational business trip as a biologist. [br]My Professor, Dr Alistar Higgins, has told me to observe the perculiar Amazon Spider Monkey and jot down my inquisitive findings in this battered journal he provided. [br]Dr. Higgins is a fine gentleman with many theories and puzzling equations about biology and impossible geometry.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
    <Entry Name="ItemDesc_WeatheredKey">Weathered Key</Entry>
    <Entry Name="ItemName_WeatheredKey">A Key rusted from damp conditions over time.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

And the .lang is in the correct folder (the one with custom_stories_settings.cfg)

In the HPL editor i have placed a diary, and in the diarytext put ndiaryone.
I created lang/eng/voices/diaries in my custom stories folder aswell and placed the .ogg file. Huh

Insanity
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM by JoeBradleyUK.)
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Find
triadtimes Offline

In your .lang, for diaries you have to put a number after Name and after Text. This would make it look like this
<Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Name1">Note To Self</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_ndiaryone_Text1">[br][Voice Diary_ST01_NoteToSelf_01.ogg][br] Hello Nathaniel...</Entry>
Try that out.

07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Find
JoeBradleyUK Offline

OK, One step closer, it doesn't open the diary automatically, like before, but when i go there manually it appears in the diary list, and it has text now!
The narration still doesn't work, however. Smile

Insanity
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Not sure if these have been mentioned before, but:

Don't capitalize the v in voice. The lang file is very sensitive, that could be what is messing things up. Also, make sure your sound file is in the sounds folder, and that the diary's DiaryText field matches the text in your lang file, in the case of the note to self, it would be ndiaryone. Also be sure the diary's callback contains ReturnOpenJournal(true);

07-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Find