Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: "Who" did you feel like
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I was myself in the game from start to finish
49.63%
67 49.63%
I started out acting as myself and then slowing acted more as Daniel as I learned about him.
38.52%
52 38.52%
I acted as Daniel from start to finish.
11.85%
16 11.85%
Total 135 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia
design3 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia

Agreed with Carnie above: the aspect of amnesia/lack of information garnered the most connection or feeling of "self" towards the player. After one begins to learn of Daniel's personality/life, I couldn't help feeling he was a prissy dipshit (also probably a result of the archaic ha perceptions of the given time period) and so it was harder to relate. I don't usually find myself getting lost in a different time period, I've found; my brain can't help but chuckle at how cliche every issue is, their lack of knowledge, etc. It leaves me with a superiority complex over the story itself.

Since this is for an upcoming project, I'd recommend modern settings (though overused) because they allow me to feel fully immersed in the motivations, known/unknowns, typical behavior, etc of the characters.

I'd also say that after playing Frictional's games, my own perception has changed; really, the story almost always will hinder immersion because it is the least "real" of the experience. Your immersion techniques within the game (and as you mentioned, upcoming "real" hands, etc.) are the strongest points, and I almost wish a game could hold everyone's attention without even revealing as much literal "story" as Amnesia did.

If only we could play a next-gen Frictional game with some kind of meta-narrative elements, eh!
10-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia - by design3 - 10-11-2011, 12:55 AM